Richard Linklater's Hit Man

Richard Linklater's newest movie has an interesting backstory that I feel speaks to the nature of modern cinema. Based on a Texas Monthly article about a fake hit man back in 2001, the story was originally optioned by Brad Pitt's production company so that he could play the lead. Screenplay troubles ended that production before it began. Years later Glen Powell brought up the story to Linklater and they ended up making the film together.

The film was independently financed and cost about $11M, but some changes had to be made to accommodate the budget. In particular, the story was meant to be set in Houston, and Linklater was excited to make a movie in and about his home state, but tax credits moved it to New Orleans.

The film had made waves across the festival circuit, but despite incredible audience reception, no one seemed to want to buy it. Eventually, it was Netflix that stepped in to buy it for $20M. Linklater still seems to wish that it would get a real theatrical run (as he mentions in this Texas Monthly interview), but as usual with Netlfix, that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

I believe it's in limited theaters now, so check your local listings and see if it's available. 

For the rest of us, it'll be available on Netflix June 7th.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m disappointed that this didn’t come to any theater near me. I know the Netflix releases are pretty limited, but I’ve been able to catch a few in theaters, most recently Maestro.

I’ll see it this weekend.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

This movie was a ton of fun and I like how they admit to what they made up/changed at the end

Yeah I thought it was a lot of fun. Not top tier Linklater like Slacker, Dazed and Confused, Waking Life, the Before trilogy, etc. but it was clever and funny even though the back half of the film laid one to many silly things on all at once. But ultimately a well made breezy film.