George Lucas Defends Marvel Movies and Claims Martin Scorcesce Has Changed His Mind about Them

WWW.WORLDOFREEL.COM

In 2019, Martin Scorsese famously called out the MCU, However, according to George Lucas, the filmmaker might be coming around to the idea that superhero movies are indeed cinema.

Speaking at Cannes, Lucas tackled the debate surrounding comic book movies and whether they constitute “art” and, when asked about Scorsese’s dismissal of them, briefly mentioned that there might have been a recent change of heart on Scorsese’s part:

"Look. Cinema is the art of a moving image. So if the image moves, then it's cinema. I think Marty has kind of changed his mind a little bit."

He's not wrong. That's why I was a bit surprised by Marty criticisms in the first place.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Lucas would know as Star Wars wasn't universally considered art at all when it was released.

Here, critics Siskel & Ebert defend Star Wars on Nightline:

Holy shit that guy was a tool. Also outright disregards animation. Such an unimaginative nitwit.

• Haha 1

I thought the Marvel run up to endgame was, love it or hate it, sort of miracle that they could do it. And had some really good films in there and generally had a baseline of quality of those movies that was fine. 

I completely fell off the wagon after that though. They lost me. 

• Halal 1

20 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I saw the final spider-man movie after, but that was it for me as well. Got Marvel'd out hard.

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I thought the Marvel run up to endgame was, love it or hate it, sort of miracle that they could do it. And had some really good films in there and generally had a baseline of quality of those movies that was fine. 

The average in quality has indeed massively dropped since End Game. After the first Avengers movie (but before End Game), there were certainly some “meh” marvel movies, but I felt more often than not they were typically “good” to “great” in terms of fun and just overall enjoyment of watching them. Since End Game, though, they’ve been more mediocre than anything (with several that are outright pre-Avengers 1 level type of meh), IMO. 

I think the problem post end game is there is no clear narrative they're forming and the characters have no meaningful ways to grow. Pre end game it was about the disruption these new superheros had on the world, how they figured out their place in it, how they become a team in spite of their egos and something even bigger than their already larger-than-life selves, and how to persist after incredible failure.

Now, no one seems to be going anywhere new. Loki might be the best of the lot, because he went through a lot of evolution in his post end game show. I'm not sure what they're trying to show us with most of the rest.