CoD: Black Ops 6 Coming to Game Pass

NEWS.XBOX.COM

We're excited to confirm that Game Pass members will be able to jump into Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 on day one.

We’re excited to confirm that Game Pass members will be able to jump into Call of Duty®: Black Ops 6 on day one with Game Pass.

As revealed last week, we will have a special Xbox Games Showcase followed by Call of Duty®: Black Ops 6 Direct on June 9, 2024, at 10am PT, where we’ll share even more details on what’s coming in this all-new Call of Duty®. Get eyes on the first in-depth look at gameplay in this dark new chapter of the Black Ops series.

And, if you’re new to Game Pass – we’ve got a (figurative) mountain of games for you to check out and play while waiting for that pre-install button to light up for Black Ops 6. Check out the hundreds of games here: Xbox.com/Gamepass

Keep the comms open, we’ll have more at @XboxGamePassPC and @XboxGamePass with more details soon.

Animation Winning GIF by Mashed

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

So we'll know by this time next year if the gamble paid off.  (or we get a big GP price hike)

Anyone rooting for the subscription model for the medium should hope this move is a resounding success.

You beat me to posting these exact thoughts!

The business case "rubber" is about to meet the financial viability "road" for so very many aspects of Microsoft/Xbox corporate strategy that have been formulated over the last few years including the $70 billion acquisition of ABK, the overall emphasis on the Game Pass subscription model, the burgeoning third-party publisher strategy, and the continuation of existing as a hardware platform developer.

To quote Suetonius, "Alea iacta est"

• stepee 1

My guess is that it will only marginally increase subs in Q4, and probably will have a limited impact on hardware buying patterns.

If I were to guess, there will be a price increase in fall '25.

Still don't see how this will justify the purchase of ABK.

• True 2

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My guess is that it will only marginally increase subs in Q4, and probably will have a limited impact on hardware buying patterns.

If I were to guess, there will be a price increase in fall '25.

Still don't see how this will justify the purchase of ABK.

If there is a price increase on gamepass then I'm finished with it. Xbox needs to go 3rd party and stop making consoles. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

If there is a price increase on gamepass then I'm finished with it. Xbox needs to go 3rd party and stop making consoles. 

If there isn't a dramatic increase in subs, they will need to.  (They need to, at a minimum, offset the lost sales of ABK software on Xbox/PC with increased sub revenue.)

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If there isn't a dramatic increase in subs, they will need to.  (They need to, at a minimum, offset the lost sales of ABK software on Xbox/PC with increased sub revenue.)

It could be ballpark and still be fine. especially if DLC sales go up, owing to the people who don’t normally buy CoD.

We’re also counting things before they hatch a bit.  It’s very possible Microsoft sticks some giant asterisk on this before release.  It wouldn’t be unexpected even for how Activision did business with the franchise, with map packs and the like.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It could be ballpark and still be fine. especially if DLC sales go up, owing to the people who don’t normally buy CoD.

We’re also counting things before they hatch a bit.  It’s very possible Microsoft sticks some giant asterisk on this before release.  It wouldn’t be unexpected even for how Activision did business with the franchise, with map packs and the like.

You're right, it's not a simple equation.

However, they still need to grow revenue, and they're giving away a game for free to people who used to buy it at full retail.  It's hard to do that without increasing prices -- or dramatically increasing subscription revenue.

• True 1

Keep in mind it's a paid game so technically you need to be subscribed to game pass one way or another. The XBL renamed to game pass core, probably won't include COD but if you buy the game you'll still need game pass to play. :roll-safe:

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Keep in mind it's a paid game so technically you need to be subscribed to game pass one way or another. The XBL renamed to game pass core, probably won't include COD but if you buy the game you'll still need game pass to play. :roll-safe:

Only on console.

I believe their strategy involves trying to get subs on PC to a much larger extent.

From Brad Sams:

Rough math suggests that Xbox needs to + at least 2.5m subs for this to make sense...optimally around 4.7-5, or in a perfect world, 11 million to (fully) recover potential lost sales in the first month

*numbers based on info pulled from FTC v Microsoft, Activision earnings

I don’t think it will move the needle for Game Pass as it’s a service for people like us and we aren’t the target CoD audience. I also don’t think it will have a material impact on sales as majority are on PS5 and PC. Plus a good segment only buy CoD yearly.

The bigger concern is that CoD as a franchise has seen a decline in sales. $70B for declining or flat sales ain’t gonna cut it.

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

Do we know roughly what the game makes in just DLC skins purchases? 

I can't find any CoD-specific data, but in 2022 Activision-Blizzard earned $5.9 billion in revenue from microtransactions and downloadable content, subscriptions (like World of Warcraft), licensing royalties from our products and franchises, and other miscellaneous revenues while earning "only" $1.6 billion in revenue from actual gaming product sales.

42 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can't find any CoD-specific data, but in 2022 Activision-Blizzard earned $5.9 billion in revenue from microtransactions and downloadable content, subscriptions (like World of Warcraft), licensing royalties from our products and franchises, and other miscellaneous revenues while earning "only" $1.6 billion in revenue from actual gaming product sales.

Which one are developer bonuses tied to. ;)

40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Does COD regular even have that many DLC skins?

I figure they really rake in the money in Warzone with their Nicki Minaj and Cheech and Chong skins (at $20 a pop)

I think just about every operator in multiplayer has extra skins you can buy. The skins can be used across all modes too.  I see the ones you mentioned in team deathmatch all the time.   They got a good thing going. It seems like it has to be raking in the money.  

I'm very curious to see how this plays out. Wasn't the big news last week that the PlayStation outsold Xbox 5 to 1?  I don't see players rushing out to buy a new console because CoD is over on game pass. So the next goal is to get current Xbox players to sign up for game pass.  Halo, Forza, and Starfield don't seem to have done enough. It feels like they are really hanging their hat on CoD to suddenly be the savior of game pass. I'm just not seeing it.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

When are all the other CODS coming to gamepass?

That brings another good question, how will they release those? Probably not going to drop them all at once. Will they even allow all of them to be available at once? That's a lot of Call of Duty. Seems like it would fracture the player base too much.

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I'm very curious to see how this plays out. Wasn't the big news last week that the PlayStation outsold Xbox 5 to 1?  I don't see players rushing out to buy a new console because CoD is over on game pass. So the next goal is to get current Xbox players to sign up for game pass.  Halo, Forza, and Starfield don't seem to have done enough. It feels like they are really hanging their hat on CoD to suddenly be the savior of game pass. I'm just not seeing it.

Half of the console player base is still on PS4 and XB1.  MS is probably hoping they will move to XSeX for Game Pass.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Half of the console player base is still on PS4 and XB1.  MS is probably hoping they will move to XSeX for Game Pass.

Really? That seems crazy to me. We are 4 years into the generation.