Recently in games media I have been hearing / seeing people be surprised that a Korean game is good. They would say like, "blah blah and can you believe it's from Korea?" or something of that nature. But I feel like to be surprised by this you have had to be oblivious to what has been going on for the past fifteen to twenty years because the Korean rise in media has been going on for quite a while.

One of the earliest memories for me was in movies when Oldboy blew up. That was back in 2003 and still a classic now. Somehow it took Spike Lee ten years to realize it was awesome and that he should make a lesser version of it. On the other hand Park Chan-wook has still been making quality films and perhaps paved the way for Bong Joon-ho to win an Academy Award for Parasite in 2019, but it took 16 years for the Academy to recognize Korean cinema after Oldboy. That seems fairly ignorant.

But it wasn't just movies but Korean TV shows have slowly crept up in popularity. Squid Game blew up in a big way in 2021 but again, there had been a lot of high quality Korean shows before that. Flower Boy Next Door (an all time classic) came out 11 years ago in 2013.

Even Korean music has exploded in popularity. Sure BTS, Newjeans, and Blackpink are popular now but my first exposure to it was Wonder Girls back in 2010. They had a pretty big following at the time and were even touring the US (I saw them at House of Blues). With the rise of streaming services it's been easier than ever to keep up with all sorts of Korean media. For kids that are growing up now it's not even weird or difficult to listen to Korean music in the United States (or anywhere else for that matter), it's just a regular thing anyone can do. Parents are taking their kids to K-pop concerts in the US as well!

Which brings us to video games and people are flipping out that Lies of P or Stellar Blade are so high quality. But they've been at this for a while. Did people forget PUBG came out at the end of 2017? 7 years ago and still one of the top ten most played games on Steam. Black Desert Online was a good looking game and goes back even further to 2015 / 2016. Remember Ninety-Nine Nights or Kingdom Under Fire those go way back. Even Magna Carta: Tears of Blood (which I've mentioned before) goes back (2004 / 2005) and the same artist from that game, Hyung-tae Kim, went on to make Stellar Blade.

Game Mmo GIF by BlackDesert

So what I'm saying is this has been building up for a long time. If you're just noticing Korean games now, in 2024, that means they are going to get even bigger and more abundant from here on out. South Korean studios are stepping up their efforts while western AAA publishers are stagnating or on the decline.

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Which brings us to video games and people are flipping out that Lies of P or Stellar Blade are so high quality. But they've been at this for a while.

For me, what is surprising is that the games are worth playing. Not that they are good, but worth playing.

Lost Ark is a great game if you remove the monetization. It's absolutely not worth playing because it is massively pay to win. Same could be said with games like Blade and Soul and Black Desert. So it is surprising when SK puts out a solid single-player game because it's simply unusual.

Also, for lies of p, most Souls-likes are absolute dog shit. So, it's surprising that a dev that is mostly unknown puts out a game that plays like FROM made it.

• True 1

On 5/26/2024 at 2:43 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Recently in games media I have been hearing / seeing people be surprised that a Korean game is good. They would say like, "blah blah and can you believe it's from Korea?" or something of that nature. But I feel like to be surprised by this you have had to be oblivious to what has been going on for the past fifteen to twenty years because the Korean rise in media has been going on for quite a while.

One of the earliest memories for me was in movies when Oldboy blew up. That was back in 2003 and still a classic now. Somehow it took Spike Lee ten years to realize it was awesome and that he should make a lesser version of it. On the other hand Park Chan-wook has still been making quality films and perhaps paved the way for Bong Joon-ho to win an Academy Award for Parasite in 2019, but it took 16 years for the Academy to recognize Korean cinema after Oldboy. That seems fairly ignorant.

But it wasn't just movies but Korean TV shows have slowly crept up in popularity. Squid Game blew up in a big way in 2021 but again, there had been a lot of high quality Korean shows before that. Flower Boy Next Door (an all time classic) came out 11 years ago in 2013.

Even Korean music has exploded in popularity. Sure BTS, Newjeans, and Blackpink are popular now but my first exposure to it was Wonder Girls back in 2010. They had a pretty big following at the time and were even touring the US (I saw them at House of Blues). With the rise of streaming services it's been easier than ever to keep up with all sorts of Korean media. For kids that are growing up now it's not even weird or difficult to listen to Korean music in the United States (or anywhere else for that matter), it's just a regular thing anyone can do. Parents are taking their kids to K-pop concerts in the US as well!

Which brings us to video games and people are flipping out that Lies of P or Stellar Blade are so high quality. But they've been at this for a while. Did people forget PUBG came out at the end of 2017? 7 years ago and still one of the top ten most played games on Steam. Black Desert Online was a good looking game and goes back even further to 2015 / 2016. Remember Ninety-Nine Nights or Kingdom Under Fire those go way back. Even Magna Carta: Tears of Blood (which I've mentioned before) goes back (2004 / 2005) and the same artist from that game, Hyung-tae Kim, went on to make Stellar Blade.

Game Mmo GIF by BlackDesert

So what I'm saying is this has been building up for a long time. If you're just noticing Korean games now, in 2024, that means they are going to get even bigger and more abundant from here on out. South Korean studios are stepping up their efforts while western AAA publishers are stagnating or on the decline.

Whats the gif in your post? Is that Stellar Blade?

2 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Stellar Blade took me WAAYY off guard. And it's not the Hersheys eye candy either.. It's just a very good, well made game. But yeah.. Anyway

Thanks. Glad to hear this because I honestly think I'm making this my main game once I'm out of the hospital. 

Yea Stellar Blade has it’s hooks in me right now. And like Eventide said, nothing to do with the girl’s looks or whatever. It’s just simply a good video game. I have no intention of playing anything else until I finish this one. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, nublood said:

Yea Stellar Blade has it’s hooks in me right now. And like Eventide said, nothing to do with the girl’s looks or whatever. It’s just simply a good video game. I have no intention of playing anything else until I finish this one. 

Pervert. 

Spoiler

:p

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Thanks. Glad to hear this because I honestly think I'm making this my main game once I'm out of the hospital. 

I assure you, you won't be disappointed. It's one of the best arpgs I've played in a long time. Korean developers have clearly tapped in to what makes games 'tick' so to speak