Top 5 movies

My Amadeus watch inspired me. If you could narrow it down to 5 movies. What would they be? Expecting some good watches from this so pls be honest!

Amadeus

Life is Beautiful

Harvey

Tommy Boy

Magnolia

Nothing niche on my top 5 list. 

The Empire Strikes Back - it’s been my favorite movie since I can remember

Aliens - My dad rented this when I was like 5 and let me watch it for some stupid reason and I’ve been obsessed ever since.

Terminator 2 - A perfect sci-fi action flick with Arnold at his peak. 

Goodfellas - the best mob movie IMO with a perfect lead and supporting cast.

Apocalypse Now - the greatest war movie ever made. I love those journeys to the heart of darkness and this one is perfection.

Auf Der Anderen Seite (Edge of Heaven) - To err is human

In Bruges - Best music video ever

Spoiler

Your Name - Made me cry like ten time

Spoiler

Life is Strange, the movie.

Synecdoche, New York -
Happy Modern Art GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Inside Llewyn Davis - Hang me oh hang me

I don’t know if I can make a definitive Top 5 list. Ones that pop in my head right away for me

1. Unbreakable - probably my fav superhero movie and I love the hero theme 

2. Children of Men - beautiful and haunting 

3. The Grand Budapest Hotel - never thought something from Wes would top The Royal Tenenbaums for me, but here we are. 

4. Little Shop of Horrors (‘86) - favourite musical and love the look and cast

5. Airplane! - I can just keep watching this film and still laugh my ass off. The movie just had no filter and I kinda miss seeing that in movies again. 

again these are off the top of my head but overall feel comfortable with the list. 

I could make a list of great movies, but I think I will focus on the few movies I tend to come back to over and over again. Like Saving Private Ryan is amazing....but I rarely watch it because it is not exactly a breezy watch. It's also the reason I left Shawshank off, though it was basically #6 on my list.

The Princess Bride - I typically dislike parody movies, but I have always loved how this movie straddles the line between being part comedy, part serious, is it a parody or just a modern day fairytale? As many times as I watch it I still get a kick out of lines like, "It's not my fault I am the biggest and strongest....I don't even exercise" :lol:

The Lord of the Rings - That's right, I'm counting it as one and there's nothing you can do about it! Taken as a whole I don't think there is any other movie viewing experience I enjoy more than binging all three Extended Editions in one go.

Cast Away - I mean, it's basically the cinematic equivalent of ICO, SotC, Journey, etc. It's such a relaxing, unique movie with possibly Tom Hank's best performance ever. I actually often use the theme song from this film along with background ocean as white noise to fall asleep to.

Jurassic Park - When it comes to big spectacle blockbusters I could have chosen Armageddon, Twister, or even Infinity War but Jurassic Park has the added benefit of also being a genuinely great movie in addition to being a hell of a fun ride. Also, this was the first movie I ever saw in theaters. So it was one hell of an experience for me.

Forrest Gump - I know this movie gets a lot of flack nowadays for being a Boomer fantasy, among other things, but I still love it. The running scene remains one of my favorites of all time.

• Halal 2

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Aliens

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Ghostbusters

Star Wars: A New Hope

The last one always fluctuates between Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I could make a list of great movies, but I think I will focus on the few movies I tend to come back to over and over again. Like Saving Private Ryan is amazing....but I rarely watch it because it is not exactly a breezy watch. It's also the reason I left Shawshank off, though it was basically #6 on my list.

The Princess Bride - I typically dislike parody movies, but I have always loved how this movie straddles the line between being part comedy, part serious, is it a parody or just a modern day fairytale? As many times as I watch it I still get a kick out of lines like, " It's not my fault I am the biggest and strongest....I don't even exercise"

The Lord of the Rings - That's right, I'm counting it as one and there's nothing you can do about it! Taken as a whole I don't think there is any other movie viewing experience I enjoy more than binging all three Extended Editions in one go.

Cast Away - I mean, it's basically the cinematic equivalent of ICO, SotC, Journey, etc. It's such a relaxing, unique movie with possibly Tom Hank's best performance ever. I actually often use the theme song from this film along with background ocean as white noise to fall asleep to.

Jurassic Park - When it comes to big spectacle blockbusters I could have chosen Armageddon, Twister, or even Infinity War but Jurassic Park has the added benefit of also being a genuinely great movie in addition to being a hell of a fun ride. Also, this was the first movie I ever saw in theaters. So it was one hell of an experience for me.

Forrest Gump - I know this movie gets a lot of flack nowadays for being a Boomer fantasy, among other things, but I still love it. The running scene remains one of my favorites of all time.

I completely endorse everything about this post. Especially "It's not my fault I am the biggest and strongest....I don't even exercise". :lol:

Shaun of the Dead

Gladiator

Spotlight

The Wolf of Wallstreet

Goodfellas

They aren’t the best, but for whatever reason have had a lot of mileage out of me (Spotlight, for whatever reason, was one my go-to movies to watch when I say writing - probably as it’s about journalism and writing in general…)

Back to the Future

The Iron Giant

Terminator 2

Beauty and the Beast

The Matrix

Depending on my mood, some of those might be swapped for Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Forrest Gump, Aliens, Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade, Captain American: The Winter Soldier, and Hook.

• Hype 1

T2 is basically a perfect sci-fi movie. It hasn't aged in the slightest and I can watch it everyday and never get sick of it. 

I saw it in theaters as a kid with my older brother and it's something I'll never forget. 

2 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Like Legolas taking down an oliphaunt, it only counts as one! I did the full extended trilogy watch earlier this week when I was really sick. It’s such an incredible cinematic experience on basically every level, and it hit me at just the right age, I don’t think anything will ever top it for me personally. 

• stepee 1

I'll also throw in Lord of the Rings as 1 movie, I think it counts. If I had to pick just one from the trilogy, though, it would be Fellowship. It's the most complete of the movies.

Here's my top 5 popcorn movies:

- Lord of the Rings

- The Matrix

- Everything Everywhere All at Once

- Master and Commander

- Mad Max: Fury Road

My top 5 "why make me feel things just to experience pain?" movies

- The Pianist

- Come and See

- Schindler's List

- First They Killed My Father

- Restrepo

This is just our top 5 personnel movies?

Jurassic Park (The GOAT)

Lord of the Rings (I will win this argument)

Dune Part 2 (no recency bias, it’s that fucking good)

Back to the Future (this is a perfect movie)

The Princess Bride (this is an even more perfect movie)

Ugh that’s hard. I might just make some category lists so I don’t feel so bad leaving stuff off haha

In no order:

• South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut
  • Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Back to the Future

This is actually really hard cuz I could put like 15 different movies into my top 5.  Cuz like here is another.

• Taken
  • Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
  • Master and Commander
  • Grandma's Boy
  • The Wizard

And another:

• Drive
  • Clerks 2 (I do like it over 1)
  • The Empire Strikes Back
  • Hot Fuzz
  • Scrooge (1970)

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

This is just our top 5 personnel movies?

Jurassic Park (The GOAT)

Lord of the Rings (I will win this argument)

Dune Part 2 (no recency bias, it’s that fucking good)

Back to the Future (this is a perfect movie)

The Princess Bride (this is an even more perfect movie)

Ugh that’s hard. I might just make some category lists so I don’t feel so bad leaving stuff off haha

Ooooohhh I should have included Princess Bride. It is a perfect movie. I've been meaning to watch Dune 2 since it came out on Max this week, but I haven't got around to it. Maybe tonight (maybe... I'm sleepy)

47 minutes ago, Bacon said:

In no order:

• South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut
  • Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Back to the Future

This is actually really hard cuz I could put like 15 different movies into my top 5.  Cuz like here is another.

• Taken
  • Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
  • Master and Commander
  • Grandma's Boy
  • The Wizard

And another:

• Drive
  • Clerks 2 (I do like it over 1)
  • The Empire Strikes Back
  • Hot Fuzz
  • Scrooge (1970)

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut still holds up to this day, which is not something most comedies can say. Comedies age poorly on the whole - what we find funny as a culture changes all the time. Outside of the Saddam Hussein character, which like... there are people who are old enough to drink now who weren't alive during the Iraq invasion, so that character may not land to them, but other than that, everything about that movie still hits. Also Trey Parker is a brilliant musical writer.

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@Fizzzzle I had absolutely no idea Dune 2 released on Max. Is it necessary to see the first to understand what's going on in 2?

Absolutely. The first movie doesn't even really have an ending, it just... stops.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Absolutely. The first movie doesn't even really have an ending, it just... stops.

Ok. I think I need to really make an effort to watch these. Everyone here praised the hell out of these movies. Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Star Wars : A New Hope

JAWS

Scarface

Pulp Fiction

Cool Hand Luke

Good picks. I figured you loved Pulp Fiction because of the gif you use a lot.