DOOM: The Dark Ages (PC/PS5/Xbox Series | 2025) - update (08/11): new details from QuakeCon

INSIDER-GAMING.COM

Insider Gaming understands that the next DOOM called called 'DOOM: The Dark Ages' will be revealed at the Xbox Games Showcase.

Insider Gaming understands that the next game in the DOOM franchise is set to be revealed during this year’s Xbox Games Showcase on June 9.

The game, which has been under the codename/placeholder title ‘Year Zero’ is understood to have the final name ‘DOOM: The Dark Ages’ and has been in development for at least four years.

Last year, I heard of early details of the next entry into the DOOM franchise, which was described to me as a ‘medieval inspired doom world’. While that doesn’t necessarily give much information to go on, ‘year zero’, ‘the dark ages’, and ‘medieval inspired’ starts to paint a vivid picture of where the series could be going next. Perhaps we’ll be taking more of an early look at the Doomslayer’s life during the medieval times? A prequel of sorts?

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That too!

Im like fine with it too. But that is the only annoying thing to me because I always wanted them to go back to the Quake1 style and now they apparently will but with the wrong name. 

BUT

It’s definitely something I want to play no matter what it is called.

Cool, I'm in. I hope they don't keep making them harder and harder. I love these games but suck at shooters now in my old age. I have to play on easy mode. The last expansion pack they released was way too difficult to be fun. I couldn't get through it even on diaper baby mode. It just wasn't enjoyable. It was very frustrating.

Yes, Eternal was very good. As for being non-gun... I wouldn't count on that. I would be shocked if they made a DOOM game that didn't have guns. I mean, anything is possible, but I doubt that's the direction they go in. If they wanted to do that they shouldn't call it DOOM.

My least favorite part of the new DOOM games was the story. DOOM shouldn't really have a story and if it needs to have a story it shouldn't that goofy ass weird story. Not only was the story weird, but it was weird and poorly told.

1 minute ago, Brick said:

I was recently thinking it's about time we get another Doom game since it's been 4 years since Eternal (which I still haven't gotten around to buying). 

32 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

YOU NEED TO RECTIFY THAT OVERSIGHT IMMEDIATELY!

• stepee 1

I guess they hinted about the setting three years ago:

WWW.POLYGON.COM

This is the Doom Slayer’s world, we just kill in it

Could we tell a story about when [the Doom Slayer] first came to that place with the Sentinels, almost like a more medieval setting, a fantasy setting?" Martin asked. "I think as you play the DLC, too, you'll see lots of hints of what we could do moving forward. Maybe even in the future. Again, our hero is somewhat timeless — I mean, literally, he's immortal. So we could tell all kinds of stories."

From Nate the Hate:

To expand upon the report with some additional information: 

DOOM: The Dark Ages will be announced at the Xbox Games Showcase next month and will be revealed as a multiplatform release -- Yes; it's coming to PlayStation 5.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1
  • True 1

47 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From Nate the Hate:

At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft came out and said all legacy multiplatform franchises will remain as such, where new ones will be case by case.

Its the simplest way to be consistent with their messaging.

What’s crazy is Quake 1 and Quake 2 are phenomenal games to this day. Still love playing both of them in the various versions. And as a multiplayer game Quake 3 is exceptional and actually even Quake 4 is quite good I hear. I do need to try that. I know this is about Doom and it sounds great but damnnn I want me some Quake after all this time.

The Doom reboot was awesome. Doom: Eternal was slightly less so due to the jumping puzzles. 
Optimistic about the next thing that they do. But, I was hoping they iterated on the formula, rather than making a hard turn to a different time. 

I beat Eternal at its release and don't remember anything. Since it's on gamepass I might give this another try. 

For those that played it, are there difficulty options?

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Eternal has an easy difficulty. It got amazing reviews. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

It’s $9 for steam deck oled and it looks insane on it!