Morgan Spurlock, Filmmaker of Super Size Me, Dead at 53

APNEWS.COM

Documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, an Oscar nominee whose most famous works skewered America’s food industry and who notably ate only at McDonald’s for a month to illustrate the dangers of a fast-food diet, has died of cancer.

Documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, an Oscar nominee whose most famous works skewered America’s food industry and who notably ate only at McDonald’s for a month to illustrate the dangers of a fast-food diet, has died. He was 53.

Spurlock died Thursday in New York from complications of cancer, according to a statement issued Friday by his family.

40 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Unfortunately, there really was very little actual scientific evidence for the claims presented in the documentary and the damage to his liver was essentially due to his alcohol consumption since he was 13 years old rather than the fast food.

I knew the claims of his doc were suspect, did NOT know he was an alcholic. I never met him but he directed a music video for my ex back in the day. Shame... he was a young guy.

Damn, died young. Regardless of the science being right or not behind it, Super Size Me is an incredibly captivating documentary about the hell one person can put themselves through for art. It's also frequently horrifying when you realize that some peoples' diets are like his in the documentary, just not as bad.

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Unfortunately, there really was very little actual scientific evidence for the claims presented in the documentary and the damage to his liver was essentially due to his alcohol consumption since he was 13 years old rather than the fast food.

Yeah I can't remember where I was recently reading/seeing something about this (maybe somewhere here on D1P?), but apparently the doctors he saw during that "documentary" were astonished at how quickly various markers of health declined in him during that experiment, as that usually occurred in alcoholics after binge drinking. Turns out he was drinking heavily throughout the experiment, and various other people have duplicated his experiment and been unable to replicate the results. 

• Sad 2
  • Halal 1

20 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Yeah I can't remember where I was recently reading/seeing something about this (maybe somewhere here on D1P?), but apparently the doctors he saw during that "documentary" were astonished at how quickly various markers of health declined in him during that experiment, as that usually occurred in alcoholics after binge drinking. Turns out he was drinking heavily throughout the experiment, and various other people have duplicated his experiment and been unable to replicate the results. 

This is all 100% correct with the inability to duplicate being the most notable finding.

• Halal 1

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

I think I watched somewhere that he actually quit drinking for that month, and some of the problems he was feeling were withdrawal symptoms. Either way. 

Ah maybe that was it, thanks. 

I only remember two things from that documentary. That he threw up the first time he tried to finish a Big Mac Super Sized meal and I thought he was the biggest pussy for that. And at the end of the movie they did the decay test and the McDonalds fries literally never started decaying. They looked perfect like 8 months later 😂

20 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I only remember two things from that documentary. That he threw up the first time he tried to finish a Big Mac Super Sized meal and I thought he was the biggest pussy for that. And at the end of the movie they did the decay test and the McDonalds fries literally never started decaying. They looked perfect like 8 months later 😂

Honestly the decay test is probably why I stopped eating McDonald's more than any of the health claims in the movie.

21 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

10 years later and going strong

WWW.BBC.COM

The meal was bought from the Nordic nation's last McDonald's in 2009 to see if it would ever decay.

• Shocked 2

On 5/25/2024 at 12:55 AM, Mercury33 said:

And at the end of the movie they did the decay test and the McDonalds fries literally never started decaying. They looked perfect like 8 months later 😂

On 5/25/2024 at 1:16 AM, Jason said:

Honestly the decay test is probably why I stopped eating McDonald's more than any of the health claims in the movie.

The food not going bad generally has to do with moisture and its surrounding environment, and not with stuff like preservatives, which McDonald's doesn't use in its beef. Homemade burgers cooked to McDonald's spec don't mold either, and McDonald's burgers bagged to retain moisture do go bad.