Rian Johnson announces the title of the next film in the Benoit Blanc (Knives Out) saga

From his Xwitter account:

The next Benoit Blanc mystery, the follow-up to Knives Out and Glass Onion, is called Wake Up Dead Man.

I still wish the series involved Blanc just showing up to solve mysteries in various historical time periods with the same ridiculous accent, clothing, etc. 

• Hype 2

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I hope they manage to get this in theaters for more than one day. These are fun movies to see with a crowd.

I saw the first one in a theater in Korea. And I can’t remember the line, but it was something that was hilarious to me and only me. So an entire theater was quiet expect for me laughing my butt off. 

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Not as "tight" as the first film, but definitely still quite enjoyable!

This. It's also less serious and more overtly funny/goofy/stupid with the characters being more overt caricatures than in the first film. The brighter setting and brighter colors/tone of the second film contribute to this less serious atmosphere compared to the first. But it is still very enjoyable, but in a different way.

• Halal 1

Yeah, Glass Onion is a lot of fun. I’m glad I was able to take my sister and niece to the theater to see it during the one week it was playing.

Rian Johnson is very talented, and I have season tickets for whatever he does. Eventually I would like to see him get back to making other stuff, but at the same time, a new Benoit Blanc movie every few years is also welcome. 

I really enjoyed the first two and excited for this one! I never thought you could make Craig Daniels less attractive but give him a Foghorn Leghorn accent and there you go. He's still nice to look at though. :p

1 hour ago, NeoJoe said:

I really enjoyed the first two and excited for this one! I never thought you could make Craig Daniels less attractive but give him a Foghorn Leghorn accent and there you go. He's still nice to look at though. :p

I DO DECLAH THAT IS NOT HIS NAME GOOD SUH.

Anyway Glass Onion is a bit sillier than Knives Our but I think that's totally fine. Glass Onion has the weird benefit of being an EXTREMELY of its moment in a way Knives Out is not, which I appreciate more in hindsight. It's aged very well in that regard considering who it's lampooning. That curve can't continue forever (my guess is that essentially zero people recognize the billion pop culture references in most classic Looney Tunes stuff) but it's great right now!

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2024 at 1:15 PM, Greatoneshere said:

This. It's also less serious and more overtly funny/goofy/stupid with the characters being more overt caricatures than in the first film. The brighter setting and brighter colors/tone of the second film contribute to this less serious atmosphere compared to the first. But it is still very enjoyable, but in a different way.

I felt as though the “goofier” tone and more cartoonish nature of the characters in the sequel made it a more enjoyable film overall. I get why some would prefer the first, but Glass Onion leaning slightly more into absurdity and comedy felt like a perfect fit for the Benoit Blanc character and, for me, made the sequel a more enjoyable movie.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I felt as though the “goofier” tone and more cartoonish nature of the characters in the sequel made it a more enjoyable film overall. I get why some would prefer the first, but Glass Onion leaning slightly more into absurdity and comedy felt like a perfect fit for the Benoit Blanc character and, for me, made the sequel a more enjoyable movie.

Yeah, it definitely isn't "lesser" but the filmmaking in it also felt less tight and a bit more fake (like many Netflix productions do, which the first movie wasn't). I also agree that the tone and goofier nature of the film made sense given it's absolutely lampooning and satirizing rich people caricatures in a way that the first film wasn't trying to do so overtly.

Josh Brolin and Andrew Scott just announced, as well.

For people not following, here are the announced cast members so far. This movie is stacked:

• Josh O'Connor
  • Cailee Spaeny
  • Kerry Washington
  • Glenn Close
  • Jeremy Renner (hopefully playing himself, since his hot sauce was in Glass Onion)
  • Mila Kunis
  • Josh Brolin
  • Andrew Scott

Rumoured:

• Tom Hardy
  • Lindsay Lohan