New study finds that daily marijuana use has surpassed daily alcohol consumption

Personally, I'd much rather see daily consumption of both decline, but whatever...

WWW.CNBC.COM

Some analysts on Wall Street think increased cannabis adoption will have an impact on the alcohol industry, with the potential for mergers and fewer beer sales.

Americans are reaching for buds more than booze.

Daily or near-daily marijuana use is now more common than similar levels of drinking in the U.S., according to 40 years of data analyzed by Carnegie Mellon University.

The report looks at U.S. data from more than 1.6 million participants collected across 27 surveys between 1979 and 2022.

Although alcohol overall remains more widely used, first-time daily marijuana use overtook drinking at the same frequency in 2022, with roughly 17.7 million cannabis users and 14.7 million drinkers.

That is a 15-fold increase for cannabis since 1992 when 900,000 Americans disclosed using the drug daily compared with 8.9 million daily drinkers.

“We believe — and data clearly indicates — the younger demographic cohort is increasingly accepting cannabis on a daily and monthly use at a higher rate than other generations,” said Roth MKM analyst Scott Fortune.

“As there are indications of consumers substituting away from other pleasure uses (alcohol, tobacco), we think as younger generations grow up with legal cannabis options, the acceptance of cannabis will become more prevalent and substitute away from traditional options,” he added.

• Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to New study finds that daily marijuana use has surpassed daily alcohol consumption

When legalization happen in Canada it took forever for edibles/beverages to be available. This is where I can see the beer industry going/teaming up to make infused drinks. We are limited to 10mg per can (is a nice calming buzz), but I could see them go higher when the Government decides to up the cap. Stateside I don’t know what limits legalized states offer, but there’s your next “evolution” or merger of the industry. 

While working for Pepsi, Bubly got released and within a year and half was topping (in general) most of the pop sales. Yeah we were still Pepsi but the money was now moving to Bubly sales

58 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The fact it's not legal in all 50 states is criminal.

Delta 9 THC (derived from hemp) is legal in almost every state except Idaho.  It can be shipped right to your door across state lines. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Delta 9 THC (derived from hemp) is legal in almost every state except Idaho.  It can be shipped right to your door across state lines. 

Yea I use Delta 9 thc gummies on occasions but I get mouth ulcers from them. In fact I have a bloody ulcer on my tounge atm from just using gummies. 

It's EXTREMELY painful. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea I use Delta 9 thc gummies on occasions but I get mouth ulcers from them. In fact I have a bloody ulcer on my tounge atm from just using gummies. 

It's EXTREMELY painful. 

Can you get it in an oil form instead? Drops go under your tongue, so it might be better on your tongue ulcers. 

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's EXTREMELY painful. 

Just cut them up into smaller pieces and swallow them like a pill.  

6 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Can you get it in an oil form instead? Drops go under your tongue, so it might be better on your tongue ulcers. 

I'm not 100% positive. There is a ton of options at the place I go to so I can look into this. Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Just cut them up into smaller pieces and swallow them like a pill.  

These gummies absolutely need chewed up before swallowing. I'd choke to death if I didn't chew them lol. 

• Halal 1

This year I’ve kept my drinking to one night a week, and sometimes not even that. I also don’t really get drunk any more. Feeling shitty the whole next day just doesn’t seem worth it any more. 

I've still never done the pot. Once I can just walk into a local store and buy some without a card (which should be later this year) maybe I will. 

• stepee 1

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

This year I’ve kept my drinking to one night a week, and sometimes not even that. I also don’t really get drunk any more. Feeling shitty the whole next day just doesn’t seem worth it any more. 

I've still never done the pot. Once I can just walk into a local store and buy some without a card (which should be later this year) maybe I will. 

Good for you in limiting your alcohol consumption. Marijuana is like a good medicine when used responsibly. 

I’ve only done half a beer and I was done. I don’t like the taste of it but took sips of my dad’s beer all the time when I growing up (I sucked up all the foam, which wasn’t a lot from beer to glass) Also got a severe case of vertigo after coming back home from a school trip to NYC. Doctor described it as walking drunk and I was sick/dizzy as hell for a full week with this. Now have I done this on weed?

Step Brothers Yep GIF by reactionseditor
Except I’m like this with my tolerance for maybe tops 30-60mins. A few hours longer if I take some of my weed pills. Which is my weed decarbed in the oven, run through a coffee grinder into a powder, and fill up some 00 pills for consumption later. I usually took 2 or 3 depending on the initial 2 pill intake “strength” test.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm not 100% positive. There is a ton of options at the place I go to so I can look into this. Thanks. 

These gummies absolutely need chewed up before swallowing. I'd choke to death if I didn't chew them lol. 

Find a new place that doesn’t put razors in the gummies imo

I'm a daily weed user. I'm a full on addict. Every night, like 360ish days a year. (sometimes I go on a trip or something, it's not quite EVERY night, but basically is)

I like alcohol okay, but it just isn't my thing. Never has been. I NEED my nightly pot escape. I usually don't start til like 10:30 or 11 after everyone is asleep and my oldest is locked in his room playing Xbox. It my time. It's the only time of the day when people aren't complaining to me or telling me to do things for them or complaining about the things I am doing for them or complaining that I'm not doing enough for them. Being a parent and husband and a corporate drone is hard sometimes. It's hard all the time.

My main problem is my addiction is a twofer. Pot and food. I like to eat shit foods and watch shit TV and just unwind. My weight levels slowly tick up and my sleep slowly ticks down. It's a spiral.

The other problem is my tolerance is so high at this point that after the initial rush wears off, I'm just not really seeing much benefit. I have to smoke a lot... and after a certain point, it doesn't really matter how much I smoke... I'm not really feeling the effects like I used to. It just doesn't feel the same.

That all said, I'm currently sober and it's difficult. I know I need to take a break so I am. I've committed to not using any marajuana products until I lose 30 pounds and so far so good. 2 weeks in and 9 pounds down. It sucks but I am doing it.

I've quit before. I quit for 2 years pretty recently. I can do it, I just don't like to do it.

• Hugs 5

16 minutes ago, ort said:

I'm a daily weed user. I'm a full on addict. Every night, like 360ish days a year. (sometimes I go on a trip or something, it's not quite EVERY night, but basically is)

I like alcohol okay, but it just isn't my thing. Never has been. I NEED my nightly pot escape. I usually don't start til like 10:30 or 11 after everyone is asleep and my oldest is locked in his room playing Xbox. It my time. It's the only time of the day when people aren't complaining to me or telling me to do things for them or complaining about the things I am doing for them or complaining that I'm not doing enough for them. Being a parent and husband and a corporate drone is hard sometimes. It's hard all the time.

My main problem is my addiction is a twofer. Pot and food. I like to eat shit foods and watch shit TV and just unwind. My weight levels slowly tick up and my sleep slowly ticks down. It's a spiral.

The other problem is my tolerance is so high at this point that after the initial rush wears off, I'm just not really seeing much benefit. I have to smoke a lot... and after a certain point, it doesn't really matter how much I smoke... I'm not really feeling the effects like I used to. It just doesn't feel the same.

That all said, I'm currently sober and it's difficult. I know I need to take a break so I am. I've committed to not using any marajuana products until I lose 30 pounds and so far so good. 2 weeks in and 9 pounds down. It sucks but I am doing it.

I've quit before. I quit for 2 years pretty recently. I can do it, I just don't like to do it.

I'm an addict so this all relates to me. I was smoking marijuana daily like you and had the exact same issues. I had to cut up my medical marijuana card and stop cold turkey. 

I dabble in gummues here and there but I haven't had marijuana in 3 years. It’s very difficult so I completely understand where you are coming from. Keep up the good work. 

Get ready to pull out your Fry’s I’m Shocked GIF everyone. I’m an addict as well, but my weight has actually gone down. Now this could more than likely be my long haulers but I seriously need to hit my bong before I can enjoy my supper most nights. My sleep is crap and yeah the munchies at night can equal a whole bag of chips and 710ml bottle of Canada Dry. (chocolate bar or handful of gummies as well sometimes) I’m like @ortin my tolerance is pretty strong, but fluctuates as well. I’ve had days where the strain will just work perfectly for me and I’m loving the high. Then other days I swear no matter what I smoke, weed will not hit. Same goes for my mom and she only has a few puffs before bed for pain management for her sleep.

I haven’t done edibles in a bit so me and my mom just took two 15% THC gummies and shall see where they take me. Hoping for a solid sleep tonight. Just starting to feel something behind the eyes some 40mins later

26 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Gross

Dude, my ulcer is so bad I'm heading to the doctors tomorrow. I haven't eaten in 4 days because of the severe pain. I can't even drink fluids without it feeling like I'm getting stabbed in the tounge with a knife. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. 

• Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Dude, my ulcer is so bad I'm heading to the doctors tomorrow. I haven't eaten in 4 days because of the severe pain. I can't even drink fluids without it feeling like I'm getting stabbed in the tounge with a knife. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. 

Meowwolf Say No GIF by PIZZA PALS PLAYZONE

4 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Meowwolf Say No GIF by PIZZA PALS PLAYZONE

Well I refuse to buy the same brand of gummies that did this. But I'm taking a long break from it all together. Fuck this. 

• Shocked 1

I was going through $160 of weed vapes per week and not even getting high. Like literally I could sit there and hit the shit continuously for an hour and be stone cold sober the entire time. One time I ate 300mg of THC gummies and couldn’t even tell if they did anything at all. Just stupid. Paying money to trash my lungs and worsen my depression.

9 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I was going through $160 of weed vapes per week and not even getting high. Like literally I could sit there and hit the shit continuously for an hour and be stone cold sober the entire time. One time I ate 300mg of THC gummies and couldn’t even tell if they did anything at all. Just stupid. Paying money to trash my lungs and worsen my depression.

My tolerance was getting so high I'd eat 20 gummies at one time. They recommended 1 gummy per dose on the bag.