IGN buys Eurogamer, VG247, Rock Paper Shotgun, and more (and begins layoffs)

WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

IGN Entertainment has acquired the Gamer Network family of digital brands for an undisclosed sum.As a result of the acq…

IGN ruining even more gaming content.

As a result of the acquisition, some redundancies have been made across the UK-based organisation.

Gamer Network's publications are GamesIndustry.biz, Eurogamer (including six local language editions), Rock Paper Shotgun, VG247 and Dicebreaker. The business also holds shares in Outside Xbox, Digital Foundry and Hookshot (which operates Nintendolife, PushSquare, PureXbox and Time Extension).

I think IGN now owns something like 80%+ of gaming publications?

WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

IGN Entertainment has acquired the Gamer Network family of digital brands for an undisclosed sum.As a result of the acq…

IGN Entertainment has acquired the Gamer Network family of digital brands for an undisclosed sum.

As a result of the acquisition, some redundancies have been made across the UK-based organisation.

Gamer Network’s publications are GamesIndustry.biz, Eurogamer (including six local language editions), Rock Paper Shotgun, VG247 and Dicebreaker. The business also holds shares in Outside Xbox, Digital Foundry and Hookshot (which operates Nintendolife, PushSquare, PureXbox and Time Extension).

IGN Entertainment is the division of Ziff Davis that includes IGN, MapGenie, HowLongToBeat, and Humble Bundle. It has acquired the websites from PAX and New York Comic-Con organiser ReedPop, which initially bought the Gamer Network business in 2018.

Not included in the sale are UK-based events EGX or MCM, or the digital brand Popverse, which remain with ReedPop.

From Kotaku's Ethan Gach:

GamesIndustry.biz managing editor Brendan Sinclair has been laid off. 

It sounds like even more cuts might be happening across the Gamer Network of sites (Eurogamer, RPS, VG247 and others).

This is absolutely devastating news. Brendan's weekly columns are irreplaceable

This really, really sucks as those Eurogamer-related sites are my "go-to" ones for gaming news.

I have little doubt that the EG sites were struggling to even continue operating on their own and some of them probably would've folded in due course, but consolidation into IGN?  Ugggggghhhhh...

• Halal 1

Eurogamer is one of the last sites I trusted so this is pretty devastating. Really hope DF manages to remain untouched - it sounds like Eurogamer doesn’t fully own them? They seem popular enough to withstand their own and have their own Patreon so they might be ok.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Eurogamer is one of the last sites I trusted so this is pretty devastating. Really hope DF manages to remain untouched - it sounds like Eurogamer doesn’t fully own them?

Eurogamer owns shares in Digital Foundry, but doesn't own a majority stake.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2024 at 1:14 PM, stepee said:

I think as a protest we should all leave the IGN boards and oh wait 

Those were some good times. Until they weren't. But I'm here because of IGN so I shouldn't hate... Too much