NBA Superstars - There may be a new NBA Jam style game some day - to be shown in live exhibits

ARCADEHEROES.COM

NBA Jam returns to arcades with arrival of NBA Superstars, a basketball video arcade game by Play Mechanix & Raw Thrills. Full details here!

Hopefully like the excellent Cruis’n Blast and the apparently not excellent recent TMNT release, this comes to console/pc.  Surely this being officially licensed it’s too big to keep so niche.

• Hype 2

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Why did they stop making new NBA Jam’s anyhow? Seems like with modern players it would sell like hell. 

There was a strange time in sports games where we weren't used to non-full priced games, and I feel like that was a part of it. They were gonna bundle it as an add on in one of the Live games, it was the year it got essentially released and then canceled last second (it was called Elite or whatever). I think there was a Wii version of it prior as well and it was the only version with online maybe? I don't remember I just know it was a shit show. And then I assume it's just been fraught since then, though I believe they did release one that was somewhat well received. 

But yeah, loved me some NFL Blitz, never got into Jam. Sorry @Keyser_Soze. Street was the shit. 

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don’t see home conversions of arcade machines being something that will happen in 2024. 

I don’t know if that’s giving the series proper credit. The console versions did quite well. It’s not like it’s a quarter eater to just progress through the game, it’s more akin to a fighting game. 

• True 1

37 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I don’t know if that’s giving the series proper credit. The console versions did quite well. It’s not like it’s a quarter eater to just progress through the game, it’s more akin to a fighting game. 

I was referring to NBA superstars, not NBA Jam.

However, if you're referring to the 1994 NBA Jam console versions, all I can say is that "30 years is a long time".

If you're talking about 2010/2011 NBA Jam games -- those were a lot more than an arcade conversion (Career Mode, etc.).

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don’t see home conversions of arcade machines being something that will happen in 2024. 

The same company released a conversion of their arcade machine less than two months ago.

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Which one?  On Steam?  PS5?

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Re-experience the 2017 arcade classic with 3 additional stages and 6 additional boss battles! Take control of Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello or Raphael in this classic beat-em-up inspired by the cult...

This is Raw Thrills TMNT game. Just came out! Crusin Blast came out in 2021 as a Nintendo exclusive (they might have rights to Cruisn I believe) and that game is one of my fav switch games.

I did reference both in my OP :P

OPENCRITIC.COM

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade: Wrath of the Mutants is rated 'Weak' after being reviewed by 38 critics, with an overall average score of 52. It's ranked in the bottom 7% of games and...

Given the 52 rating on Open Critic, I'll update my comment.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don’t see home conversions of arcade machines being something that will should happen in 2024. 

fixed.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
OPENCRITIC.COM

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade: Wrath of the Mutants is rated 'Weak' after being reviewed by 38 critics, with an overall average score of 52. It's ranked in the bottom 7% of games and...

Given the 52 rating on Open Critic, I'll update my comment.

fixed.

I mean still ignoring the Crusin Blast port which I mentioned I think is great :P

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I mean still ignoring the Crusin Blast port which I mentioned I think is great :P

I haven't played it, so I don't want to slag it. 

It got very mixed reviews (and a lot of bad ones)

Some of the reviews I read suggested there was very little content -- despite them adding 24 additional tracks to the arcades 5.

Arcade games, in general, are meant for high impact thrills -- and generally are VERY short.

IMHO, most people aren't spending $50 on a game with only a couple of hours of content,

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I haven't played it, so I don't want to slag it. 

It got very mixed reviews (and a lot of bad ones)

Some of the reviews I read suggested there was very little content -- despite them adding 24 additional tracks to the arcades 5.

Arcade games, in general, are meant for high impact thrills -- and generally are VERY short.

IMHO, most people aren't spending $50 on a game with only a couple of hours of content,

It has a 70meta which I think is okay for the kind of game it is. There’s a lot of unlockable and sometimes strange vehicles that add to the content as well, I think content is fine. But you know how reviews can be especially with niche things.

Also Crusin’ launched at $40 and quickly went down to $20 as retail price so there is no reason why this would have to be $50.

Not that it would set the world on fire, but a licensed nba arcade style basketball game is definitely at least less niche than the two ports we have already gotten from their output. And yeah, maybe it’s crap, but it could be good, and I was just pointing out there is actually precedent that a home console port is possible.