RIP in Peace, Red Lobster, murdered by "endless shrimp" and private equity (mostly private equity)

WWW.NPR.ORG

The seafood chain is in hot water after a series of bad choices by a parade of executives. Almost 580 restaurants will stay open, after dozens closed abruptly last week.

A private equity firm bought the chain ten years ago from Darden Restaurants, which owns rivals Olive Garden and LongHorn Steakhouse. The firm, Golden Gate Capital, funded the deal partly by selling Red Lobster's real estate.

That meant the chain had to start paying rent. That's now a major financial factor in Red Lobster's bankruptcy filing, which asks the court to reject 108 leases, letting the company abandon those locations.

Since 2020, Red Lobster has been run by its largest shareholder: Thai Union Group, a seafood supplier also behind the Chicken of the Sea brand. And the bankruptcy filing lays much blame on Thai Union and ex-CEO Paul Kenny.

After massive financial losses during the pandemic, followed by increases in the costs of food and wages, Thai Union pursued extensive cost-cutting at Red Lobster. The chain was run by a conveyor belt of executives; it had no CEO for a year.

The bankruptcy filing alleges that Thai Union interfered with daily operations and even pushed out two rival suppliers of breaded shrimp, securing a costlier exclusive deal for itself.

All-you-can-eat shrimp fiasco

Then came a reboot idea that turned into a jumbo disaster: Ultimate Endless Shrimp. Red Lobster took its classic promotion and made it permanent, with prices originally starting at $20.

Thai Union later cited this as the main cause of its $11 million loss that quarter. The goal was to get more people in the door, which did happen. But many diners then stayed for hours, picking at plate after plate of shrimp dishes and — critically — buying little else.

Thai Union CEO Thiraphong Chansiri later said the ordeal left him scarred.

"Other people stop eating beef, I'm going to stop eating lobster," he told investors.

In January, Thai Union washed its hands of Red Lobster. The owners said they would essentially abandon their stake in the chain, setting the restaurant company on a path to bankruptcy.

Never go full Flight of the Conchords.

Bret, how much are you selling those superstraws for?

One dollar.

How many straws does it take to make a superstraw?

Five.

What's the total cost of those five straws?

Two-fift... oh. Well I've sold quite a few of them.

• Haha 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to RIP in Peace, Red Lobster, murdered by "endless shrimp" and private equity (mostly private equity)

I've never actually gone to Red Lobster, even though I kind of always wanted to since I like seafood, although I know there are better seafood places I could probably go to. 

38 minutes ago, TyphoidHater said:

To me, it's crazy how the purchase was funded in part by something they didn't own until after the purchase.  

Guess that's why I'm not in finance.

Private equity is a scam to disassemble companies and transfer their value to rich people. Basically:

1. Offer to buy company using debt
  2. That debt is assigned to the company purchased and must be paid by them
  3. Profits (from operations or selling off) are given to rich people who did the sale
  4. Company can't service debt used to purchase them, must declare bankruptcy and sell off parts to pay for it

It's crazy to me that the debt used to purchase a company can be serviced by the company purchased, and not be 100% attached to the people who did the buying. Obviously it's more complicated than the four points above, but that's the gist. It's the grift of our age.

• Like 1
  • Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

FACT! You can make em better at home. They're basically a ball of cheese, salt and butter held together by a little bit of flour.

I don't think Red Lobster is as bad as it's reputation, but at the end of the day, it ain't great, that's for sure.

I haven't been to one in like 5 or 6 years. My youngest used to want to go there for his family birthday dinners, but that phase has ended. I used to have like 5 in the area but I believe we're down to one. COVID killed off most of the locations in my area.

• Halal 1

I haven’t been to a Red Lobster in… 15 years?  They were never bad but they were also never good.  I dunno, casual dining prices have risen to the point where the juice isn’t worth the squeeze most of the time.

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Private equity is a scam to disassemble companies and transfer their value to rich people. Basically:

1. Offer to buy company using debt
  2. That debt is assigned to the company purchased and must be paid by them
  3. Profits (from operations or selling off) are given to rich people who did the sale
  4. Company can't service debt used to purchase them, must declare bankruptcy and sell off parts to pay for it

It's crazy to me that the debt used to purchase a company can be serviced by the company purchased, and not be 100% attached to the people who did the buying. Obviously it's more complicated than the four points above, but that's the gist. It's the grift of our age.

The famous quote (I'm paraphrasing) is that, if you want to buy a $3000 shoe-shine stand, you need to have $3000 in cash. But if you want to buy a billion dollar company, you don't need to have anything at all. 

11 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

The famous quote (I'm paraphrasing) is that, if you want to buy a $3000 shoe-shine stand, you need to have $3000 in cash. But if you want to buy a billion dollar company, you don't need to have anything at all. 

You need to know the right people is it

Growing up Red Lobster was fine dining for us... we went there for damn near every special occasion, Birthdays, graduations, funerals... Hadn't been to one in tears until a couple of years ago when I hung out with my nephews at one. Food tasted a lot better in my memories than it did in reality. Cheddar bisuits are still good though.