The Atlantic hurricane season begins soon—hold on to your butts. One reputable forecast team predicts 33 named storms.

My family in South Florida is in the final stages of getting a new roof which will be in compliance with the current Miami-Dade Country code standards (total cost: $42,500) and replacing our windows/doors also with hurricane-resistant versions that are also compliant with the Miami-Dade Country code standards (total cost: $30,500).

We expect this will allow us to get a pretty significant discount on our house insurance to the point where things will "break even" in about five years.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

For some reason I feel like there will be a named storm that is supposed to be female but was a historically male name (e.g. Hurricane Sam or Hurricane Kris) and it's going to become a culture war issue.

Leslie is my guess this year

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My family in South Florida is in the final stages of getting a new roof which will be in compliance with the current Miami-Dade Country code standards (total cost: $42,500) and replacing our windows/doors also with hurricane-resistant versions that are also compliant with the Miami-Dade Country code standards (total cost: $30,500).

We expect this will allow us to get a pretty significant discount on our house insurance to the point where things will "break even" in about five years.

We took the opposite track. Sold, made a profit, moved to a city. 

11 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

We took the opposite track. Sold, made a profit, moved to a city. 

We live about as far from the Atlantic coast as you can get in South Florida without actually living in the Everglades :p

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Building

That's the house my family has lived in since we moved to the US from Trinidad in 1986 and that's my sister's Honda Civic in the driveway :p

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I’m in the permitting phase of getting my roof replaced ($20,000).😩

edit: I see you’re in Coral Springs so a tile roof is a requirement!  I’m in Margate so I can get away with a traditional shingle roof. I already have the impact windows. 

I was talking with my cousin and their house on Wiles costs $8k/year to insure and it’s similar to your family home. 

2 hours ago, outsida said:

edit: I see you’re in Coral Springs so a tile roof is a requirement!  I’m in Margate so I can get away with a traditional shingle roof. I already have the impact windows. 

I was talking with my cousin and their house on Wiles costs $8k/year to insure and it’s similar to your family home. 

Right - tile roofs only for us in Coral Springs (unfortunately)!  We're going with the identical tiles that are seen in the picture when that particular roof was put on 27 years ago.  Heck, we're even using the same contractor (Arcon).

I think our annual insurance payment (with discounts applied) is $12,000 but I'll have to check with my mom on that.

• Shocked 1

YALECLIMATECONNECTIONS.ORG

The ocean heat could fuel an unusually active hurricane season.

Although record-setting sea surface temperatures alone don’t guarantee a busy hurricane season, they do strongly influence it, especially when the abnormal warmth coincides with the tropical belt known as the Main Development Region, or MDR, the area where 85% of Category 3, 4, and 5 hurricanes form. When considered alongside a developing La Niña — the periodic cooling of the equatorial Pacific that reduces storm-busting Atlantic wind shear — the unprecedented ocean heat is driving up seasonal hurricane outlooks higher than ever before.

SST-comparison.png?resize=1024,485&ssl=1

Dear, oh dear!

WWW.YAHOO.COM

In the highest hurricane season forecast they have ever issued in May, forecasters with NOAA predict an above-normal number of storms.

In the highest hurricane season forecast they have ever released in May, National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration forecasters said Thursday that the coming months may be exceptionally busy.

“The forecast for named storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes is the highest NOAA has ever issued for the May outlook,” Rick Spinrad, the agency's administrator, said in a news conference. “This season is looking to be an extraordinary one in a number of ways.”

NOAA predicts eight to 13 hurricanes and 17 to 25 named storms. Storms get names when their wind speeds reach 39 mph or higher.

Given the near-record warmth in much of the Atlantic Ocean and a strong chance of La Niña conditions, forecasters said there is an 85% chance of an above-normal season along the Atlantic seaboard.

"All the ingredients are definitely in place to have an active season," said Ken Graham, the director of the National Weather Service.