US intelligence warns of possible attacks against Pride celebrations worldwide

WWW.BBC.COM

The warning comes one week after a similar alert from the FBI and Department of Homeland Security.

Looks like in the US and worldwide.

Authorities warned US citizens abroad to "exercise increased caution".

"Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists, including Pride celebrations," a warning issued by the state department said.

The advisory came on Friday, a week after a similar alert issued by US law enforcement agencies.

Anti-queer sentiments are helping to unify the right-wing worldwide. Despicable.

• Guillotine 1

Paging @Commissar SFLUFAN, how concerning is this?

Side note, I did get this email warning myself (I'm signed up to the emails due to renewing a passport at the US embassy in Toronto). It's not often these are sent out unless something major is going on or there is an expected protest and they're warning people to stay away from the embassy.

32 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Paging @Commissar SFLUFAN, how concerning is this?

Side note, I did get this email warning myself (I'm signed up to the emails due to renewing a passport at the US embassy in Toronto). It's not often these are sent out unless something major is going on or there is an expected protest and they're warning people to stay away from the embassy.

I'd say that it should be highly concerning for a global alert to be sent like this.

This means that the intel services have detected a higher level of "chatter" which prompted them to this action.

• Thanks 3

I signed up to be on their list when I was living in Germany for so long. It was recommended by the State Department for citizens living abroad, so I did it. I actually receive these notices still, even though I moved back to the US in 2019. 

For what it's worth (probably fairly little), in my experience from around 2011 to 2019 when I left Germany there were fairly frequent warnings (maybe four to six per year, IIRC) and as far as I can remember, only one of them coincided with an actual attack. Which isn't me suggesting that these shouldn't be taken seriously; I'm just stating that I believe these kinds of warnings are fairly common. My guess is that they are issued when some credible intelligence exists about a possible threat and they're being cautious. 

It's a good reminder to always be aware of your surroundings in a crowd and notice exits, obstacles, etc. 

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Also, the Pride celebrations would be a target for Islamists as well as the rightists.

Cut from the same cloth, fashioned into slightly different dunce caps. 

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.THEBALTIMOREBANNER.COM

A possible chemical agent was released in front of the main stage at the Baltimore Pride Parade and Block Party — causing a stampede.

Sounds like mace/bearspray.

Online social media posts suggest the chemical agent was mace. These posts allege it was sprayed after a fight broke out, prompting panic and the stampede.