Valve finally officially acknowledges the existence of the worst-kept secret in gaming: Deadlock

4 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Ok someone explain me the appeal of MOBAs. I have about 2 hours total ever playing them with most of that being in the Deadlock tutorial. Why is there so much crap to buy, and doesn't that basically lead to an asymmetry of not knowing the threat level of the enemy? At least, until you spend hundreds of hours memorizing and testing every combination of heroes and upgrades...

@Keyser_Soze

• Sicko 1

I mean, I guess that is the appeal. It's a complicated game and you have to do your homework before you play. This is why people label it "toxic" because you have a person that jumps in doesn't know what they are doing and you've just wasted an hour of your life.

At least familiarize yourself with your own character and the mechanics first and then the reward is learning all the intricacies of the game, something most people check out of (and trust me I've tried to get other people to play and they check out after a BOT match). It's basically like learning how to play football or chess or something, there are a lot of different strategies and outcomes, a fun game, but you have to know what to do before you jump in.

That being said I haven't played this game.

Actually if you subscribe to Jeff Gerstmann, Ben was on his podcast this week describing it, so maybe his explanation of why it's good may resonate with you more.

I wasn't too thrilled with Brad's take on the game which was, "I will never solo queue because those people are terrible people" or something along those lines. He seems to have a very jaded view of dota.

I think you can remove the “” around toxic since it is for any new person. I tried to play DOTA 2 at one point and let’s say it made me miss the old Xbox CoD voice chat. Anything that is referred to as a MOBA is an easy pass for me

Unfortunately any game that is openly toxic to solo queue (MOBAs, Apex, Overwatch, etc) is generally a skip for me. Too many solo queuers will rage at you if you're not playing the ultra-optimized meta build (even though you're in bronze league and it doesn't matter). Decided to play Apex Legends again today after a 1+ year hiatus, and my first three games were:

1. Hackers 
  2. Hackers 
  3. After hot dropping, my teammate (who chose the landing) called me retarded after he immediately died and I only managed to kill two of the enemy squad (and got killed by the third)

Yes I can play without comms, but then you're not standing a chance. 

I really wish people had a single real-life ID account to play these games, and if you are banned then you are banned for good. I've reported soooooo many players for outright racist/toxic behaviour, but because most of these games are free to play, they can just make another account.