Rock the Vote '24: update (10/14) - Harris to be interviewed by Fox News on Wednesday

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is an op-ed piece that discusses this past weekend's NYT/Siena surveys of Black and Latin voters and the "political misdiagnosis" that the Democratic Party (and many others) made that the "browning" of America would ultimately result in a "permanent" Democratic majority:

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Democrats imagined that they would become the majority party as America became more racially diverse. It’s not working out that way.

Twenty years ago, this book The Emerging Democratic Majority became the core text for this notion.  However, just last year, the authors released a follow-up book Where Have All the Democrats Gone? that essentially acts as repudiation of their original text.

We've thought that for a while. We thought Texas and Florida would turn more blue as more Latin-American people became eligible to vote, but it seems the opposite is true. Especially in Florida. Latin-American voters went red more than blue.

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

We've thought that for a while. We thought Texas and Florida would turn more blue as more Latin-American people became eligible to vote, but it seems the opposite is true. Especially in Florida. Latin-American voters went red more than blue.

My wife and much of her extended family and friends are Latin-American immigrants. For the most part (plenty of exceptions of course) I've seen fewer groups more enthusiastic about pulling the ladder up behind them.

• Halal 1

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.NPR.ORG

Polls show that some Black men may be gravitating toward former President Trump or not vote at all. Vice President Harris and other prominent Democrats are trying to counter that.

Finally something I can be obnoxious about disagreeing with Harris about cause the $25k down payment assistance just doesn’t hit the same as crypto bashing

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don’t understand why the machine was fooled into thinking this. We’ve discussed it before here but given the cultural presets of those south of America it’s no surprise that they’ve enlarged the conservative bloc. 

Black culture has a considerable element of machismo, too, so that trend isn’t surprising either. 

3 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

My wife and much of her extended family and friends are Latin-American immigrants. For the most part (plenty of exceptions of course) I've seen fewer groups more enthusiastic about pulling the ladder up behind them.

Correct—this goes for all people, they mostly just care about themselves (not a racial thing). Race becomes a big issue when a party targets all people openly. When they say it's just the "bad" ones, it's easier to think "well it's not me, I'm already here and established, so who cares?" Obviously this has happened over and over in the past in various ethnic cleansings and pogroms. However, current Trump cleansing planning aside, it should be expected that if race is less and less of an issue, then other things (social and economic issues) become the primary point of voting. And in those cases, 1st-gen immigrants tend to more closely align with the GOP than Democrats, I think.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Correct—this goes for all people, they mostly just care about themselves (not a racial thing). Race becomes a big issue when a party targets all people openly. When they say it's just the "bad" ones, it's easier to think "well it's not me, I'm already here and established, so who cares?" Obviously this has happened over and over in the past in various ethnic cleansings and pogroms. However, current Trump cleansing planning aside, it should be expected that if race is less and less of an issue, then other things (social and economic issues) become the primary point of voting. And in those cases, 1st-gen immigrants tend to more closely align with the GOP than Democrats, I think.

Like any common idiot voting for the GOP first-gen immigrants don’t realize that Republicans won’t even pretend to care about their economic well-being. Trump’s campaign sure has a lot of words out there for making America great and making everyone else (“China”) “pay” but where are the plans to on-shore shit? Harris actually belongs to an administration that *has* on-shored jobs. It’s been my impression as a white man looking on that the most pressing issues to Latin American immigrants that would actually change under Trump are social. Their cultures hold “family” (in the traditional sense) in high regard. I wish *they* could be the ones to hear that Harris won’t emasculate all their sons and gay up their daughters instead of a focus on the bros. 

18 minutes ago, S3xB0t said:

Like any common idiot voting for the GOP first-gen immigrants don’t realize that Republicans won’t even pretend to care about their economic well-being. Trump’s campaign sure has a lot of words out there for making America great and making everyone else (“China”) “pay” but where are the plans to on-shore shit? Harris actually belongs to an administration that *has* on-shored jobs. It’s been my impression as a white man looking on that the most pressing issues to Latin American immigrants that would actually change under Trump are social. Their cultures hold “family” (in the traditional sense) in high regard. I wish *they* could be the ones to hear that Harris won’t emasculate all their sons and gay up their daughters instead of a focus on the bros. 

Let them vote for the leopards then. 

From today's discussion at the Economic Club of Chicago:

Bloomberg Editor-in-Chief John Micklethwait: Should Google be broken up? 

Trump: Virginia cleaned up its voter rolls and got rid of thousands and thousands of bad votes

Bloomberg Editor-in-Chief John Micklethwait: The question was about Google

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Apparently I missed something somewhere. Why is crypto particularly appealing to blacks?

Get-rich-quick. It offers the hope of gaining wealth rapidly that work/career and other investment vehicles don’t offer. 

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

Apparently he also cancelled an appearance on CNBC this morning, hes quite honestly probably trying to keep up with his past campaign schedules from previous elections but just isn't capable.

That's correct - he cancelled the appearance on The Squawk Box, one of whose hosts (Joe Kernen) is conservative-leaning.

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Today is the first day of early voting in GA and as of 2pm, nearly 190,000 votes have been cast. 

No reports that Carter actually voted. The reports just say that he has lived long enough to vote.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

which makes it that much more surprising that the GOP is so anti-brown immigrants.. theyre not here to be Dem voters.. theyre future GOP’ers.. just sell them that “traditional family values” BS….. GOP just needs to hide their racism long enough to secure their votes.. hell it behooves the GOP to make the path to citizenship easier so they can get those votes…

Dropped my ballot off this morning 

Dem straight down. 
Local elections for my town had basically everyone unopposed so I called my dad and asked his thoughts on fires then said “congrats, you’re now a politician” as I wrote his name in for Fire Commissioner.

• Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Dropped my ballot off this morning 

Dem straight down. 
Local elections for my town had basically everyone unopposed so I called my dad and asked his thoughts on fires then said “congrats, you’re now a politician” as I wrote his name in for Fire Commissioner.

My ballot got stolen out of my mailbox last week. :frustrated: According to my mailman my whole block gets hit a lot but our useless PD doesn't do anything. So now I have to wait until in person early voting starts on the 26th unless my replacement mail ballot arrives first, but I was told it could come as late as the 29th.

• Hugs 1

18 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I've read that in PA the Dem firewall for early voting needs to be ~400,000. It's trending in that direction (last I read it was at 170k and is now at 190k) so let's keep it going.

Not all of those Republicans are voting for Donald, too. We have some numbers from the primary to go on there.

10 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

That's why I was bullish. I more meant that she flat out endorsed Trump after all of the primaries were over. That might sway many of her supporters but I don't know.

It was never about her, she doesn’t factor into it. It’s about what she represented