Rock the Vote '24: update (10/14) - Harris to be interviewed by Fox News on Wednesday

🦅Pennsylvania - 2024 General Election - Day 5

📥 416,652 votes cast  

🔵 DEM: 285,072 - 29% returned 
🔴 GOP: 95,666 - 20.1% returned 
🟡 IND: 35,914 - 18.9% returned

VBM Splits: 🔵 68.4% / 🔴 23% / 🟡 8.6%

🔷 DEM firewall: +189,406
📈 Return Edge: D+8.9

Have some good news, folks. 

• Thanks 2
  • Hype 1

I occasionally entertain the notion of brainwashing myself to be more conservative by listening to nothing except conservative radio, watching conservative TV, reading conservative news, and attending conservative events.  I figure maybe it would just be easier to just join in with the mob rather than constantly being the odd one out. It would be like forfeiting a match. I can’t do it notwithstanding all the philosophical issues with choosing one’s beliefs, at least not yet. 

I’ve been mentally preparing myself for Trump since 2021 and it’s still tough. We will all get through this shit storm together. I will admit that my views of humanity have darkened quite a bit since 2016, but I’m not ready to give up. 

• stepee 5

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

I’ve been mentally preparing myself for Trump since 2021 and it’s still tough. We will all get through this shit storm together. I will admit that my views of humanity have darkened quite a bit since 2016, but I’m not ready to give up. 

This is very reflective of my attitude lately as well.

• stepee 2

10 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I occasionally entertain the notion of brainwashing myself to be more conservative by listening to nothing except conservative radio, watching conservative TV, reading conservative news, and attending conservative events.  I figure maybe it would just be easier to just join in with the mob rather than constantly being the odd one out. It would be like forfeiting a match.

It'll be the coldest day in hell before I give those motherfuckers the slightest hint of such satisfaction. Their relentless stupidity and hatred only fuels my own convictions!

• stepee 2
  • True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hype 2

The situation of fending off authoritarianism/autocracy through the electoral process reminds me of the famous quote from an IRA terrorist to his British security services captors in the aftermath of a failed bombing attempt:

Today we were unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always.

• stepee 1
  • True 2
  • Halal 1

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The situation of fending off authoritarianism/autocracy through the electoral process reminds me of the famous quote from an IRA terrorist to his British security services captors in the aftermath of a failed bombing attempt:

Pithy, but not entirely convincing given who said it.

Any given political structure is only going to stand as long as people allow it to, same as the nations they exist within. Fascism, democracy, it all changes and flows with the times and nothing ever guarantees you permanent or long lasting success.

In order to change things, you must always be willing and able to try to change them. Same if you want to hold a status quo or anything else. I dunno, the idea that anything is set in stone in the long term seems absurd to me. There may certainly be long term ramifications, but sometimes even awful things happening leads to a long term better outcome as people become galvanized by said events.

• stepee 2

I entirely blame the liberal governing class for the current situation across the west, due to their lack of imagination and ability to sell policy. For decades it has felt like we're just coasting with democrats believing that making the trains run time is a win. Populism is something filling a void left by the elite. If, god willing, Harris wins I really hope she isn't a passive President with a passive cabinet like way too many of Biden's team. Garland could redeem himself if he's got sealed indictments on Tim Pool and others ready to go after the election. 

Regardless she needs an AG and national security team that'll hunt down foreign influence. She also needs to lean into domestic policy that is universal and therefore seen as fair, and do so aggressively by using the bully pulpit calling out specific members of congress who block things. Harris' initial excitement is pretty good evidence the country is dying to be led.

Trump voters are crazy, but I don't think they're wrong that something is wrong with the current system of politics. 

• stepee 2
  • Thanks 1
  • True 5
  • Halal 2

36 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Trump voters are crazy, but I don't think they're wrong that something is wrong with the current system of politics. 

Well, that's the thing. No one thinks the current system of politics is great or is even very functional, but these people think that we're at rock bottom and there's nowhere to go but up. And boy howdy, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that there's no such thing as rock bottom.

40 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I think everyone legitimately feels that way..

A country this big and varied having all their needs and beliefs represented by 2 political parties is ludicrous… but damn if both parties dont ensure they are the only ones taking turn at the top..

We need drastic changes, but the people who would approve changes are the ones who have all the power… they arent stupid enough to give it up.. the apathy with which people react to the power plays means theyve grown more brazen. “We the SCOTUS declare that bribes arent actually bribes if they happen after 10pm”

I love the circus they put on from time to time.. “ all votes by the members are in, we have decided to approve our own pay raise”

I guess the only real way to create more parties is if the existing ones split from within.. the MAGAts grew out of the GOP like Hydra, in the process the schism if Trump were to lose and they split off would cost the GOP significant influence for a while.

Can there actually be a bloodless revolution to enact real change? not with Social Media stoking the flames that anything and everything is a conspiracy

there is so much “silent money” at play buying influence in this country.. the church, corporations, honest dealers, power grabbers are all in the soup fucking shit up

3 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

I entirely blame the liberal governing class for the current situation across the west, due to their lack of imagination and ability to sell policy. For decades it has felt like we're just coasting with democrats believing that making the trains run time is a win. Populism is something filling a void left by the elite. If, god willing, Harris wins I really hope she isn't a passive President with a passive cabinet like way too many of Biden's team. Garland could redeem himself if he's got sealed indictments on Tim Pool and others ready to go after the election. 

Regardless she needs an AG and national security team that'll hunt down foreign influence. She also needs to lean into domestic policy that is universal and therefore seen as fair, and do so aggressively by using the bully pulpit calling out specific members of congress who block things. Harris' initial excitement is pretty good evidence the country is dying to be led.

Neoliberalism is underlying at fault for much of this, this nation has abandoned wide swathes of its citizens to corporate malfeasance and policies that benefit the wealthy; unless you’re exceedingly lucky, moving into the upper middle class is impossible for most. There is something fundamentally wrong with this nation economically and that’s it. With that said though, so much of chuds angst is culture war bullshit so they can fuck right off about it being economic angst which somehow manifests as trans panic cause, I guess they take der jerbs.

• Halal 2

"There are no poor people in America - just temporarily embarrassed millionaires."

By and large, on the federal level, neither party actually serves the American people in any meaningful way and hasn't since the '60s.  They represent their corporate donors because relentlessly campaigning costs a fuck ton of money, so much so that campaign financing has become its own industry.

The culture war, the social issues have become the main campaign points (not that they don't matter, don't get me wrong) because no one from either party can fully commit to what is ACTUALLY the problem, which is neoliberal economic policy. Both Democrats and Republicans have supported it for the last 50 years, now the corporations have so much power that it seems impossible to stop.

My favorite example was from (I think) 2016 when a bill came by the Senate that would allow Americans to be able to import drugs from Canada because it was cheaper. The bill got rejected in the Senate. The main voice of opposition to the bill? CORY FUCKING BOOKER. A Democrat. The reason he gave for rejecting the bill? Because "we can't be sure the drugs from Canada are safe." The only problem is... WHERE DO YOU THINK CANADA GETS THEIR DRUGS FROM?! Also I'll give you two guesses as to which Democrat Senator got more money from the pharmaceutical lobbyists than any other that year.

I hate that this is the system we're given. I don't like that our choices are either "corporate dick sucker who will undermine every individual's economic freedom" or "corporate dick sucker who will undermine every individual's economic freedom BUT ALSO they want to take rights away from anyone who isn't a straight white male." I hate it. It feels like I'm picking the option that is just less bad. 

So, what do we do? Honestly, the answer is simple. Get involved in local politics. Go to your next city council meeting. Become a voice that elected officials are forced to hear. Get involved in local organizations (if your city has a Strong Towns organization, that's a great place to start)

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The betting markets agree with you :p

You made me check PredictIt which held firm on Harris for the longest time, then just two days ago is suddenly swinging towards Trump. IDK wtf that's coming from...?

Was it Jack Smith's unsealed documents? Trump is like this ridiculous undead Final Fantasy character where attacks heal him.

I don’t think being mentally prepared for the worst outcome equates to doomerism. I think it’s mentally healthy. Being overly optimistic is not healthy, just like being overly pessimistic isn’t either. The election is close at the moment, let’s not pretend it isn’t.

Perhaps current polling is indeed trying to overcompensate for Trump historically outperforming polling data in his past two elections. That’s certainly a hope. Pretending he has no path to victory is downright silly. Thinking upon losing that Trump doesn’t claim victory anyway and start a shitstorm like last time might be some insane pie in the sky shit.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t think being mentally prepared for the worst outcome equates to doomerism. I think it’s mentally healthy. Being overly optimistic is not healthy, just like being overly pessimistic isn’t either. The election is close at the moment, let’s not pretend it isn’t.

Perhaps current polling is indeed trying to overcompensate for Trump historically outperforming polling data in his past two elections. That’s certainly a hope. Pretending he has no path to victory is downright silly. Thinking upon losing that Trump doesn’t claim victory anyway and start a shitstorm like last time might be some insane pie in the sky shit.

Confidence is knowing that you can succeed. Arrogance is the refusal to acknowledge that you can fail.

I'm confident.

An NYT/Siena poll released today confirms the challenges the Harris campaign faces in consolidating its Black voting base in an election that will be decided on the margins.  It's better than where it was when Biden was running, but it's still far short of 2020 and 2016.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Vice President Kamala Harris is on track to win a majority of Black voters, and has brought many back to her party since taking over for President Biden. Still, a significant gap in support persists.

70% Harris
20% Trump
Women
83% Harris
12% Trump

77% Harris
14% Trump
45+
79% Harris
15% Trump

Education:
College
79% Harris
14% Trump
No college
78% Harris
15% Trump

Of this data, the one that gets the most "shock" from me is the 12% support for Trump from Black women.