Rock the Vote '24: update (10/14) - Harris to be interviewed by Fox News on Wednesday

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I genuinely and sincerely doubt that will happen as the climate deteriorates and economic conditions get more precarious.

That world has passed.

I think, despite everything, those sorts of things can also band people together. It's on us to see how that turns out. I agree it's a coin flip, this is entirely dependent on human nature on a macro scale and there is a strong argument for either side. I'm hoping for the best but would use a Futurama not that shocked gif if everything goes sideways. :p 

44 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

ETA: hell you’re even seeing this with our neighbors to the north right now. I’ve noticed a giant wave of anti immigrant sentiment up there that I just never felt even when I lived right next door and visited frequently. And changing labor laws around immigrants and their families. Among students even. 

There's zero doubt in my mind that Canada will have a Conservative majority government next year and that its "open door" is going to slam shut.

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Do you honestly believe that a GOP-controlled Senate -- which she undoubtedly will have at least through 2026 -- will even allow her nominees to have a hearing?

If she really is a no nonsense person, she should immediately take advantage of the blank check the Supreme Court has written for the president to enact some very official actions cleaning out the Supreme Court!

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There's zero doubt in my mind that Canada will have a Conservative majority government next year and that its "open door" is going to slam shut.

I was in Bolivia earlier this year with my wife’s family. One of her cousins was packing up their family to head to Vancouver because his wife was going to study in a master’s program. His plan was to work. I didn’t want to dampen their enthusiasm too much but I told him he might have a tough time finding employment and that attitudes are shifting. But wished him luck and promised to visit him all the same (I grew up in Seattle so when I visit home I’ll make a trip up that way too).

They moved in April and he still hasn’t found employment of any kind. And he told me it didn’t matter what job he got just as long as it was something. So I don’t believe he is being picky. 

2 minutes ago, Brian said:

Wade’s posts are depressing the fuck out of me tonight. goddamn 

yo where’s the simpons’s memes when you need them?

I genuinely, sincerely apologize for that -- I really do! -- but these are thoughts that I've been pondering for ages as I've observed the trends and forces shaping our world :(

• Hugs 2

31 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Do you honestly believe that a GOP-controlled Senate -- which she undoubtedly will have at least through 2026 -- will even allow her nominees to have a hearing?

Well, I did say the next 8 years, so yes, I think it could happen. And let's see what the Senate looks like before assuming that as a given, though I agree, it's looking like that will be the case. 

If I was forced to place a bet, I would put money on a Trump win at this point. Some of this is polling based, but I also just get a sense that the vibes on the Dem side aren’t great. 2020 featured a Dem electorate that was really united on defeating Trump, but the exasperation that the guy could actually win after everything that has gone on seems to be really impacting folks in a negative way. I wonder if that may end up depressing turnout just enough.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

In America, it’s anathema to me to reject immigrants of any stripe.

American history is filled to the brim with anti-immigrant sentiment. It is the rule, rather than the exception.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If I was forced to place a bet, I would put money on a Trump win at this point. Some of this is polling based, but I also just get a sense that the vibes on the Dem side aren’t great. 2020 featured a Dem electorate that was really united on defeating Trump, but the exasperation that the guy could actually win after everything that has gone on seems to be really impacting folks in a negative way. I wonder if that may end up depressing turnout just enough.

American history is filled to the brim with anti-immigrant sentiment. It is the rule, rather than the exception.

Sentiment but not law nor lived experience. This country was and is built on immigration like few others ever were. 

• stepee 1

22 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

If she really is a no nonsense person, she should immediately take advantage of the blank check the Supreme Court has written for the president to enact some very official actions cleaning out the Supreme Court!

Beyond her actually winning that is my hope.. the GOP will call her every damn name and accuse her of all kinds of BS, so she may as well lean into it.. fix the SCOTUS, get a “get it done” AG, and clean up most of the MAGA shitbags..

If she wins and the GOP doesnt have a “post Trump” plan then the Dems may as well lock in as much good policy as possible… my fear of Dems winning is that theyre generally such “losers” that they dont know how to maximize their wins.

• True 1

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Huh, I'm getting the opposite vibes. Those vibes were true to me when Biden was still running, but I feel it's going the other way now. People are still nervous, as well they fucking should be, but I've yet to really see anyone depressed or anything in a way that would make me wonder about them not voting. I guess that kinda thing is going to vary based on a whole host of factors, though.

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Sentiment but not law nor lived experience. This country was and is built on immigration like few others ever were.

Are you…for real? We’ve had incredibly brutal anti-immigrant laws targeting particular populations for nearly our entire existence! There have always been totally fine and acceptable immigrants (people who already fit the identity of the dominant culture) and the unacceptable types.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Huh, I'm getting the opposite vibes. Those vibes were true to me when Biden was still running, but I feel it's going the other way now. People are still nervous, as well they fucking should be, but I've yet to really see anyone depressed or anything in a way that would make me wonder about them not voting. I guess that kinda thing is going to vary based on a whole host of factors, though.

May just be recency bias regarding particular things I’ve seen of this type of post that my dear @Greatoneshere made from quite a few people, both random friends, and larger accounts on Twitter. Like I said, just a feeling I’m getting, could be wrong!

• True 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm unsure what you mean by "not law" as there is a very well-documented history of anti-immigration statutes such as the Immigration Act of 1924,

My choice of words is poor. I guess I just mean that broadly speaking throughout the history of the country, the US was built by immigration both forced and voluntary. 

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Are you…for real? We’ve had incredibly brutal anti-immigrant laws targeting particular populations for nearly our entire existence! There have always been totally fine and acceptable immigrants (people who already fit the identity of the dominant culture) and the unacceptable types.

Yes that is correct.

2 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Definitely could use a couple of injections of “righteous outrage” to carry us into the actual voting days.. but at this point im not sure what that looks like.. “Hes a Piece of Shit!!… we Know!!!” is the general sentiment..

Tell them he supports universal healthcare or something!

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

May just be recency bias regarding particular things I’ve seen of this type of post that my dear @Greatoneshere made from quite a few people, both random friends, and larger accounts on Twitter. Like I said, just a feeling I’m getting, could be wrong!

I certainly don't think you're necessarily wrong - it's just utter and complete exasperation (and to some degree, despair) that the swing-state polling is literally within the MOE for ALL of them.  I don't think it will necessarily have a dampening effect on actual turnout, but it is a sobering reality.

At least we've gone from what genuinely appeared to be both an electoral and popular victory for Trump to something where we have a legitimate fighting chance.

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

America as we envisioned is dead, now it’s just about hoping I outrun the clock. This has been in play tor too long to reset because of a single election, assuming Trump loses which I don’t think he’s going to regardless.

It's not just America - it's "the West" as a whole where this is occurring. 

• stepee 1
  • True 1

If the Trump campaign pins its hopes on young men of any race with little ability as a campaign to turn interested parties into actual voters I’m hoping that miscalculation will be enough. Like all the demographic indicators for young men with little formal education is that they can’t be relied upon to vote

but hey nothing like doomering on a Friday night

Everybody please remember: Part of the GOP (and their enablers and handlers) election strategy is to exhaust you with a constant onslaught of bile, obstruction, denial of reality, and grifting lies. It’s all designed to dampen our enthusiasm. That doesn’t mean not to be concerned—again, vote like your life depends on it—but also recognize some of the bullshit for what it is. 

• stepee 1
  • True 3

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If the Trump campaign pins its hopes on young men of any race with little ability as a campaign to turn interested parties into actual voters I’m hoping that miscalculation will be enough. Like all the demographic indicators for young men with little formal education is that they can’t be relied upon to vote

That is something that hasn't gone unnoticed as a (hopefully) flawed assumption in his campaign's "bro culture" strategy:

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean, I didn't mean to set off this chain of events, but imagining a Trump win is something beyond measure. If you really think about it. It's not doomerism when the polls are this close, is it? I think in truth it means we have to live in a reality where this shit is super close, the electoral college is built in statistically in the Republicans' favor, so the more overwhelming the win in all states, particularly the swing states for Harris, the better. It doesn't feel that close to me, until it does and then it hits. 

8 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Everybody please remember: Part of the GOP (and their enablers and handlers) election strategy is to exhaust you with a constant onslaught of bile, obstruction, denial of reality, and grifting lies. It’s all designed to dampen our enthusiasm. That doesn’t mean not to be concerned—again, vote like your life depends on it—but also recognize some of the bullshit for what it is. 

I thoroughly agree, but I hope that what I've articulated can be seen as transcending this election and the United States itself.  I simply cannot deny what I'm seeing in North America, in South America, in Europe, in South Africa, etc. where anti-immigrant sentiments have become core policy objectives of parties across the political spectrum.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I thoroughly agree, but I hope that what I've articulated can be seen as transcending this election and the United States itself.  I simply cannot deny what I'm seeing in North America, in South America, in Europe, in South Africa, etc. where anti-immigrant sentiments have become core policy objectives of parties across the political spectrum.

I think you and I are on the same page re:immigration sentiment worldwide. You’re obviously very well read on the subject and my travels and contacts just confirm what you’re saying here. And despite my personal view on what immigration should be in the US there is no doubt that the biggest appeals of Trump currently are his racism and immigration views.

• Halal 1