Rock the Vote '24: update (10/14) - Harris to be interviewed by Fox News on Wednesday

10 hours ago, Jason said:

When's the last time you were on? It used to be very slow but has been picking up a lot of steam, especially in the last ~4 weeks. I'm barely on Twitter anymore.

I just reinstalled it. Based on my timeline, I posted about my return drawing anniversary about a year ago.

22 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Oh ahaha that’s hilarious! The talky fish Trump says wacky hilarious Trump shit like mass deportations and walls!

Fucking cringe. All this “late night talk show” humor can blow me. None of this is fucking funny anymore and it hasn’t been in 8 years.

It’s funny when republicans are buying it and profits are being given to good causes which they’re probably against which I assume is what’s happening :p 

Unlike shit like “Trumpy Bear” which has money going to grifters and Trump PACs. So, yes, it’s incredibly funny to fuck over idiots who actually buy this shit thinking it’s pro-Trump.

The thing is (and I’m just kinda ranting right now, don't take it personally :p ), for many people, including myself, if I wasn’t finding ways to laugh at the absurdity and awfulness of it all, I’d be miserable and terrified 24/7. You think a second Trump presidency with people like Musk and RFK Jr in major administration seats doesn’t absolutely scare the ever loving F out of me and to where the very thought of it doesn’t simultaneously put me into a deep depression and insane rage? Guess again.

The memes, skits, and jokes I share and/or create allow me, and so many others to cope. If you’re worried about things being normalized from jokes then you’re over 8 years late on that. It was all normalized the moment he first became the GOP nominee. At the very least, I’d argue the jokes draw attention to his terribleness. “If you’re going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh… or they’ll kill you.”

• True 2
  • Sicko 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 5

47 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The thing is (and I’m just kinda ranting right now, don't take it personally :p ), for many people, including myself, if I wasn’t finding ways to laugh at the absurdity and awfulness of it all, I’d be miserable and terrified 24/7. You think a second Trump presidency with people like Musk and RFK Jr in major administration seats doesn’t absolutely scare the ever loving F out of me and to where the very thought of it doesn’t simultaneously put me into a deep depression and insane rage? Guess again.

The memes, skits, and jokes I share and/or create allow me, and so many others to cope. If you’re worried about things being normalized from jokes then you’re over 8 years late on that. It was all normalized the moment he first became the GOP nominee. At the very least, I’d argue the jokes draw attention to his terribleness. “If you’re going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh… or they’ll kill you.”

I'd even go as far as to counterpoint the notion that humor "normalizes" that behavior. The purpose of humor/satire is to do the opposite, to highlight the absurdity (some of which might get overlooked) rather than downplay it. It's even perhaps one of the best ways to break through to people that aren't as plugged in or perceptive just how downright crazy these people are. Comedy is often the only way to spread a message, and have people actually listen.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Gallows humor is a thing. It doesn't downplay the situation, it highlights it.

Highlighting doesn't mean normalizing (I'm just clarifying). And no, the objective of the humor is not to downplay, it is, in fact, to highlight it.

For example, highlighting what a jackass goonish asshole Trump is does not normalize it or make it ok: it makes people aware of it.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat of “without humor, I’d go insane this election cycle”.

I’m terrified of what could possibly happen in 25 days, and I’m already not speaking to my sister after she got REALLY angry when I joked that she shouldn’t take health advice from a guy who would eat a bear carcass off the highway (she shared some video of RFK talking about what they put in our foods).

• Hugs 4

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Alright, fine - you can post your Simpsons stuff.

Even though I've never found the Simpsons to be even remotely funny :p

I wasn't posting this to fight for that :p 

I'll make a compromise: single (maybe small double) image things no spoilers, long ones get spoilers. :hug:

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

(Gallows humor is an unhealthy coping mechanism that prevents people from being genuine about their feelings)

This is incredibly case-by-case and is an overly gross generalization. Being able to highlight bad behavior in a way that simultaneously spreads laughter and awareness does not necessarily stop an individual from being genuine about their feelings in any way.

• Halal 1

Vice President Kamala Harris will travel to Detroit Tuesday where she will participate in a radio town hall hosted by Charlamagne tha God the host announced on the Breakfast Club this morning. 

This is part of the campaign's broader effort to reach Black men.

During the hour-long conversation slated for 5 p.m. ET, Harris will take questions from callers from across battleground states. 

An estimated 139 radio stations in markets across the country will take the program.

• stepee 2
  • Halal 1

I 100% agree with Wade that the Simpsons isn't funny and it never was. 

But I completely understand why spork posts them and many enjoy it. During this stressful time before the election laughter is good for the soul. 

Spoiler

I'm more of a Family Guy fan. 

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

(Gallows humor is an unhealthy coping mechanism that prevents people from being genuine about their feelings)

I might agree with that on a macro-level, but not on a micro-level. Sooner or later, you do need to be genuine about your feelings for things, but if we actually faced every single problem every single day with the full weight of emotion that should be carried behind it, none of us would be able to function.

Think of it like this, which is how I deal with stress:

spacer.png

Gallows humor falls firmly  into the "no" path. It allows you to acknowledge a situation, quickly assess its complexity, realize there's nothing you can do about it in the moment, then joke about it and move on with your day so you aren't a crumbling pile of anxiety.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 3
  • Hugs 1