Rock the Vote '24: update (10/14) - Harris to be interviewed by Fox News on Wednesday

1 minute ago, TheShader said:

It's been an issue with me, too. And like @Jasonstated, I've seen it across platforms. It's been happening for like... A week I think? Maybe two weeks? 

I'm pretty sure it started with the most recent software update and IIRC @Commissar SFLUFAN did that a couple of weeks ago. Hence the question about submitting a bug ticket with Invision.

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@osxmatt @GeneticBlueprint @Jason - I'm seeing the stars on my end which leads me to believe that it might be a caching issue? 

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

I've been seeing it across different devices so seems unlikely? When the star goes missing on a thread it temporarily reappears when you make another post in the thread, so it could just be showing for you because you've posted in here recently. I just logged into the boards on my phone in a browser I don't normally use for the boards on my phone and am seeing the same behavior.

Yeah I see it on all the devices I use. Not a big deal at all. Just mentioning it because others had noticed it. 

WWW.POLITICO.COM

Inside Trump’s push to win over the ‘bro’ vote

Trump’s immersion in “bro” culture began in the aftermath of the 2020 election and the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, when the defeated Trump was being spurned by the political class. In response, his team came up with an idea, according to a person familiar with the conversations: Redefine him as the pop culture figure he had been before he entered office, and have him appear in non-political settings and before non-mainstream media outlets. 

What we could be saying after the election:

1. It should have been obvious that Trump's appeal to "bros" was going to be Kamala's downfall.
  2. It should have been obvious that Trump's appeal to non-white working class males was going to be why he won.
  3. It should have been obvious that Kamala's incredible advantage with women, who vote at a higher percentage and are greater in number, was going to be why she won.
  4. Because we're guys, we didn't realize how many women have been pissed off since the Dobbs decision that took away their rights.
  5. It should have been obvious that Kamala's ads on gaming sites and targeting the male vote was going to be Trump's downfall.
  6. It should have been obvious that reminding people of the chaos under Trump was going to bring people over to Kamala.
  7. It should have been obvious that Jan. 6 and conspiracy theories would sink Trump since he already lost once.
  8. It should have been obvious that immigration was a driving factor that allowed Trump to win.
  9. It should have been obvious that the new voters registering who were mostly young and people of color would not be counted in the polls.
  10. It should have been obvious that the swing state polls were never totally in Kamala's favor, which is why Trump won.
  11. It should have been obvious that the swing state polls were never totally in Trump's favor, which is why Kamala won.
  12. It should have been obvious that polls undercount Republican votes.
  13. It should have been obvious that the guy who correctly predicted Trump's 2016 win was right when he said Kamala would win.
  14. It should have been obvious that inflation, though not Biden's fault, was going to fuck over Democrats.
  15. It should have been obvious that the stories about Trump's lack of a ground game that Republicans panicked over led to his loss.
  16. It should have been obvious that the stories about Kamala not doing enough rallies (or not doing enough interviews) was going to doom her campaign.
  17. It should have been obvious that Oprah is too powerful to stop.
  18. It should have been obvious that Taylor Swift is too powerful to stop.
  19. It should have been obvious that voter enthusiasm would be down for Trump after running three times in a row.
  20. It should have been obvious that people viewed Trump as too old to be president.
  21. It should have been obvious that people connected to Walz's and Harris's message about Trump/Vance being weird, with the "Thanksgiving dinner" message resonating with Giuliani's own daughter.
  22. It should have been obvious that America wouldn't vote for a felon since they didn't vote for a woman in 2016 who they thought maybe could possibly potentially be one.

Not a doubt in my mind that we'll be saying a few of these in some form. At least now that hurricane anxiety is over for me, I can focus on election anxiety a little better. :dancing:

• stepee 1
  • True 2
  • Hugs 2

23 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

1. It should have been obvious that Trump's appeal to "bros" was going to be Kamala's downfall.
  2. It should have been obvious that Trump's appeal to non-white working class males was going to be why he won.
  3. It should have been obvious that Kamala's incredible advantage with women, who vote at a higher percentage and are greater in number, was going to be why she won.
  4. Because we're guys, we didn't realize how many women have been pissed off since the Dobbs decision that took away their rights.
  5. It should have been obvious that Kamala's ads on gaming sites and targeting the male vote was going to be Trump's downfall.
  6. It should have been obvious that reminding people of the chaos under Trump was going to bring people over to Kamala.
  7. It should have been obvious that Jan. 6 and conspiracy theories would sink Trump since he already lost once.
  8. It should have been obvious that immigration was a driving factor that allowed Trump to win.
  9. It should have been obvious that the new voters registering who were mostly young and people of color would not be counted in the polls.
  10. It should have been obvious that the swing state polls were never totally in Kamala's favor, which is why Trump won.
  11. It should have been obvious that the swing state polls were never totally in Trump's favor, which is why Kamala won.
  13. It should have been obvious that the guy who correctly predicted Trump's 2016 win was right when he said Kamala would win.
  14. It should have been obvious that inflation, though not Biden's fault, was going to fuck over Democrats.
  15. It should have been obvious that the stories about Trump's lack of a ground game that Republicans panicked over led to his loss.
  16. It should have been obvious that the stories about Kamala not doing enough rallies (or not doing enough interviews) was going to doom her campaign.
  19. It should have been obvious that voter enthusiasm would be down for Trump after running three times in a row.
  20. It should have been obvious that people viewed Trump as too old to be president.
  21. It should have been obvious that people connected to Walz's and Harris's message about Trump/Vance being weird, with the "Thanksgiving dinner" message resonating with Giuliani's own daughter.
  22. It should have been obvious that America wouldn't vote for a felon since they didn't vote for a woman in 2016 who they thought maybe could possibly potentially be one.

Not a doubt in my mind that we'll be saying a few of these in some form. At least now that hurricane anxiety is over for me, I can focus on election anxiety a little better. :dancing:

Saving this for later

4 hours ago, S3xB0t said:

Please pass the copium. I can’t do this tonight.

everything the trump campaign says its doing — trying to turn out secret trump supporters and campaigning in places he can’t win — looks and sounds like the actions of a losing campaign www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...

[image or embed]

— jamelle (@jamellebouie.net) October 9, 2024 at 12:38 PM

i cannot tell you how many losing democratic campaigns i have followed or covered where in the last weeks the strategists insist that there is a hidden group of voters who will turn the race in their favor on election day

— jamelle (@jamellebouie.net) October 9, 2024 at 12:41 PM

“they’re trying to steal it” i repeat again that if you are trying to steal election it is in your best interest to keep it as competitive as possible

— jamelle (@jamellebouie.net) October 9, 2024 at 12:43 PM

i swear if harris wins handily in november some of you will still insist that this is all part of trump’s plan to steal the election

— jamelle (@jamellebouie.net) October 9, 2024 at 12:46 PM
  • Thanks 1

The universe fucking loves election season!

WWW.LIVESCIENCE.COM

A powerful solar outburst is likely to trigger a "severe" geomagnetic storm on Thursday, with auroras potentially visible as far south as California and Alabama, NOAA predicts.

• stepee 1

20 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The universe fucking loves election season!

WWW.LIVESCIENCE.COM

A powerful solar outburst is likely to trigger a "severe" geomagnetic storm on Thursday, with auroras potentially visible as far south as California and Alabama, NOAA predicts.

Deep state lies. The earth is flat and that's the weather machine getting maintenance

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:
  • It should have been obvious that Oprah is too powerful to stop.
  • It should have been obvious that Taylor Swift is too powerful to stop.

• It should’ve been obvious that Hulkamania was too powerful to stop, brother
  • Haha 3

Despite being the middle of the night, still filled in my ballot and dropped it off. Got a handy Republican Recommended voting pamphlet to, which was a very easy way to know how not to vote, aside from a single issue!

• stepee 1

:daydream:

It’s bad enough that at a Green Party event in MI one of the speakers flat out said Stein has zero chance to win but it’s their job to vote for her anyway to “do something historic” and stop “Holocaust Harris” from winning the Whitehouse. The smartest people.

6 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

MI Gaza protestors about to join the leopards eat my face experience.

I may or may not have offered one of the queer’s for Hamas dipshits airfare to Gaza city 

shockingly I was declined 

15 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

MI Gaza protestors about to join the leopards eat my face experience.

I obviously don’t agree with their stance outside of peace being an end goal, but it boggles my mind that these people think a Trump administration will be exactly the same with how things have been handled so they “might as well punish the democrats”.

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I obviously don’t agree with their stance outside of peace being an end goal, but it boggles my mind that these people think a Trump administration will be exactly the same with how things have been handled so they “might as well punish the democrats”.

I mean if you make a desert it is peace.

wonder which side can make a desert though.

A not insignificant portion of the left lost their minds on October 7th last year. So many of my white leftist friends have blinders when it comes to facing the reality of how much worse a second Trump term could be.

They throw around cute terms like Genocide Joe or Holocaust Harris but never talk about how Trump is promising enteric cleaning here in the states.

• True 2

1 minute ago, ihavebigtitties said:

A not insignificant portion of the left lost their minds on October 7th last year.

Almost like your average person only knows how to follow trends and virtue signal, regardless of political affiliation.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

10 hours ago, Massdriver said:
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Inside Trump’s push to win over the ‘bro’ vote

I don’t even think it’s necessarily just the ‘bro’ vote.  What Trump is latching onto is a broad emerging trend of young women moving left and young men (and especially young non-college educated men) moving, in comparative terms, right.

WWW.AXIOS.COM

I think this could be the broader social cleft that could define the coming era of American politics.  The coming cohort of male Gen Z’ers will embrace, along with a critical mass of their older Gen X peers, a more conservative, illiberal strain of male-oriented, chauvinist politics dressed up as ‘populism’ or ‘nationalism’ or ‘MAGA’—while their female counterparts will embrace the liberal cosmopolitanism/internationalism associated (for now) with the Democratic Party.  You can already see the former philosophy emerging, in a more mature form, in the nascent cohort of post-Trump Trumps—I’m thinking in particular of guys like Ramaswamy, whose whole thing was about ‘uplifting men’.

After all, MAGA is well-calibrated to appeal to men in a society where their traditional stranglehold on power is being challenged by the rising influence and wealth of liberated women.  “Remember when you were in charge and could do asshole bro-ish stuff without being criticized?  Let’s go back to that.”

To women, (obviously) not so much.  Harris’s whole “we’re not going back” mantra is what speaks to them.

Stack on top of that a growing educational divide—because, hey, who loses the most in a knowledge economy dominated by the college-educated professional class and its teeming ranks of liberated women?  The non-college educated working class male.  It’s no coincidence that ‘Big Tech’ is a big MAGA boogie man; the men who are best off right now are all working in tech, or at least working *with* it, and it’s hard to land the best tech gigs without a college degree.

That might be what Trump’s political legacy ends up being, if he doesn’t get reelected and overturn American politics altogether.  While I wouldn’t call him a ‘symptom not a cause’—that would downplay just how sociopathic and destructive he truly is—I would say he is *symptomatic* of trends that are not going away, and are likely to set the terms of politics for at least a generation.

But, I would also note that, as I've mentioned before, there’s a broader technological context that’s reinforcing these trends.  Trumpism is not just male—it is also paranoid and angry.  It’s not just non-college educated—it is dismissive of the outside world. (Hence "fake news") And that comes from social media, its algorithmic reinforcement of ‘the paranoid style’, and the info-bubbles and echo-chambers it creates.  I think Trump has only been able to get to 50% approval by way of social media completely replacing traditional media. It was a long-developing trend, but it’s reached critical mass in the past 10 years, and IMO it is this election in particular that signals the takeover is complete.  It’s why nothing changes the polls—only truly exceptional events get past the info-bubble’s filter.  Much of the 50% of the population that supports Trump simply doesn’t process all the crazy shit he does—the info-bubble either doesn’t inform them of it, or codes it as ‘fake’.

That’s why, as classically American a figure as Trump is, you’re seeing similar figures showing up in Hungary, Turkey, Russia, etc.  He’s one head on a global hydra that’s pushing back against globalization and liberalism, and the destabilization of traditional norms and categories it has created, empowered by a breakdown of the old infrastructure for disseminating information, and its replacement by one that naturally drives populations towards greater balkanization and extremism.

TL;DR for everyone who doesn't have the time or energy to wade through the preceding paragraphs: MAGA men vs modern women will define the next political paradigm, social media is ascendant and pouring fuel on the fire, and it's very possible the crazy's just getting started.

• True 2
  • Halal 4

10 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

• It should’ve been obvious that Harris needed to pick someone like Terry Crews or Danny Trejo as VP to not lose the minority tough guy admiring voters. They do like Terry Crews and Danny Trejo right?

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I have hidden a few posts ITT for being off topic. Please stay on topic and refrain from publicly calling out users who may or may not have someone blocked.

Women aren’t allowed to speak their mind and call out sexism, apparently. He did block me, he publicly said he did.

Dayonepatch is officially a boy’s club. Male mods silencing posts by women.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

Women aren’t allowed to speak their mind and call out sexism, apparently.

Dayonepatch is officially a boy’s club.

There's a pattern of calling out and @'ing users who may or may not have you blocked about subjects that have nothing to do with what's being discussed in the thread when the users being @'ed didn't mention you specifically or the topic you're calling out them out for generally. If you think that makes D1P a boys club, c'est la vie. This is the last post ITT about the subject that's going to remain unhidden.