Rock the Vote '24: update (10/14) - Harris to be interviewed by Fox News on Wednesday

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The lies about FEMA seem to have quite a bit of traction online. Very unfortunate that such an obvious lie could have a material impact on the election. The human race is sad.

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

GOP politicians and conservatives online have amplified a slew of false rumors claiming the government is purposely hindering aid operations.

“Will you all help STOP this conspiracy theory junk that is floating all over Facebook and the internet about the floods in WNC,” Kevin Corbin, a Republican North Carolina state senator, wrote on Facebook Thursday, pointing to false claims of FEMA stealing money from donations, the government controlling the weather from Antarctica or forcing people out of the region in order to mine its lithium, and a slew of other rumors.

“Thanks for listening but I’ve been working on this 12 hours a day since it started and I’m growing a bit weary of intentional distractions from the main job …. which is to help our citizens in need,” he added.

“Look, if there are any challenges, call my office. We’ll track them down if there are real issues,” said Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., who told CBS’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday that many of the conspiracies floating around online have been coming from people who are not experiencing the situation firsthand. “But quite honestly, most of what I’ve seen out there is a distraction and not helping the core of the effort right here, which is to save lives and start rebuilding.”

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg went as far as to call Elon Musk, the owner of X and one of Trump’s most high-profile supporters, who had been publishing text messages that he said showed FEMA blocking SpaceX from delivering supplies. FEMA has said it is not restricting airspace, but working with officials to ensure safe rescue and recovery operations in “very crowded and congested airspace.” 

Musk stopped making those claims after Buttigieg called him. “Thanks for the call. Hopefully, we can resolve this soon,” Musk wrote on X.

Biden going on tv and having an address wouldn’t have the impact that republicans saying knock it off would. If only trump wasn’t a massive piece of shit he would be able to put this crap to rest but he thrives on it peoples lives be damned

• True 1

From what I can see, the misinformation campaign being amplified by Trump and Musk is basically:

• FEMA has only given $750 cash to families for Helene, and that's all people will get (not true)
  • The US just gave Ukraine $2.9 billion, but only $750 for families in the US! (That is $56/person in Ukraine)
  • FEMA is ordering Elon Musk to stop delivering aid via SpaceX helicopters (not true, they simply told him that SpaceX must file flight plans with the FAA, like anyone else)
  • The government caused the hurricane in order to hurt people

So taking advantage of people not understanding how per capita funding works, plus just a bunch of actual lies.

I'm surprised it hasn't been twisted into disaster relief just being welfare rewarding unprepared people or some other weird shit. At this point the wheels seem off the conspiracy theory bus so they don't even seem to be very politically beneficial for the right half the time anymore. 

59 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

With the passage of time, the 78-year-old former president’s speeches have grown darker, harsher, longer, angrier, less focused, more profane and increasingly fixated on the past, according to a review of his public appearances over the years.

Am I hallucinating? NYT wrote this?

• True 1

Trump right now is no better than what Biden was before stepping down. It's not his speech like Biden struggled with but Trump is litteraly rambling on and on about completely random thoughts. 

When he is in front of the mic he speaks to the crowd like he is in a one on one scenario in a gym locker room. He is completely unhinged. 

58 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm surprised it hasn't been twisted into disaster relief just being welfare rewarding unprepared people or some other weird shit. At this point the wheels seem off the conspiracy theory bus so they don't even seem to be very politically beneficial for the right half the time anymore. 

It is welfare when Democrat states/cities ask for it. Aid if it is going to Republican states/cities require it. 

29 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Am I hallucinating? NYT wrote this?

24 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That's why it's being shared so much; people are shocked. :lol: 

I'm actually not shocked, especially since the headline should be, "Trump speaks at a 4th-grade level, far below that of rivals like DeSantis, who speaks at an 8th-grade level"

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

With the passage of time, the 78-year-old former president’s speeches have grown darker, harsher, longer, angrier, less focused, more profane and increasingly fixated on the past, according to a review of his public appearances over the years.

Ducking took them long enough to finally question his age. D+ for effort NYT

4 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

Nothing surprises me anymore about this shit hole, let them get what they want. I just need the institutional inertia to last my lifetime. 

@S3xB0t

I dealt with this American chud mentality during the pandemic. I was legit going into Covid rooms in my ER wearing an n95 I’ve been reusing for three weeks (we were each given three to last a quarter; great times ) to be accused by these dipshits of being in on some grand conspiracy for some unseen ends.

Shit hole country due to shitty people and like it or not they are us too.

6 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

@S3xB0t

I dealt with this American chud mentality during the pandemic. I was legit going into Covid rooms in my ER wearing an n95 I’ve been reusing for three weeks (we were each given three to last a quarter; great times ) to be accused by these dipshits of being in on some grand conspiracy for some unseen ends.

Shit hole country due to shitty people and like it or not they are us too.

Shitty people are not a uniquely American problem. I genuinely refuse to believe that the country is rotten to the core. 

• Halal 1

Just now, S3xB0t said:

Shitty people are not a uniquely American problem. I genuinely refuse to believe that the country is rotten to the core. 

The constitution alone would disagree, 3/5ths, and my lived experience is one that reinforces America is uniquely shitty; not Americans are uniquely shitty as I’ve met lots of shitty Europeans in my travels and European racism hits way different. But I’d much rather be in most every European nation as opposed to this one. 

I view America as a way to extract wealth and leave now, nothing more than that. American dream is to leave and take its wealth with you. 

We can disagree and that’s cool, I’m just counting the days until I only have to step foot here periodically.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

How was Trump's

Had he actually showed up for the interview, it would have been an ugly sparring match and a bunch of vitriol. But he didn't, so all there is to focus on is hers. And I don't see how the bulk of this interview helps her in any way.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

Had he actually showed up for the interview, it would have been an ugly sparring match and a bunch of vitriol. But he didn't, so all there is to focus on is hers. And I don't see how the bulk of this interview helps her in any way.

Sounds about right, which is what I'd expect to hear if she was out there doing town halls. She doesn't seem very good at this part of the campaign. Which normally would be terrible, but when your opponent just straight up doesn't show up, I guess it's not as big of a deal.

The thing is, I don't actually think she's bad at thinking on her feet, but I don't think she's allowing herself to. In fact it almost comes off like she's not being allowed to, like she isn't taking charge of the narrative and authoring her own answers.

And then later you see shorter portions of a Walz interview, and he's much more dynamic.

WWW.MEDIAITE.COM

Former President Donald Trump stayed on brand Monday night while speaking on the first anniversary of the Oct. 7 terrorist attacks in Israel – by playing "Y.M.C.A." by the village people. One...

• Confused 2

Harris will be on Colbert tonight.

Interestingly, Colbert is on re-runs all week except for tonight’s episode. Not sure if this was pre-recorded (last week), if it’s just an hour-long interview, or if he’s doing a single actual episode today.

WWW.HUFFPOST.COM

Harris will pitch the initiative as a way to help "sandwich generation" families and propose paying for it mostly with savings from Medicare drug negotiations.

Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris on Tuesday will propose a major new initiative: expanding Medicare to cover the cost of long-term care at home.

Such a plan could mean the option of staying at home, rather than in a nursing facility, for the millions of seniors and people with disabilities who need help with the daily tasks of life.

There would also be questions of whether and how to restructure Medicaid’s long-term care supports, how those would integrate with the new Medicare initiative and what that would all mean for the providers of care, who, undoubtedly, would have a thing or two to say about it.

I'm already having a stroke trying to figure out how this would work with Medicaid Home Care waivers that do way more than just personal care services. 

32 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:
WWW.HUFFPOST.COM

Harris will pitch the initiative as a way to help "sandwich generation" families and propose paying for it mostly with savings from Medicare drug negotiations.

I'm already having a stroke trying to figure out how this would work with Medicaid Home Care waivers that do way more than just personal care services. 

I was definitely interested in hearing your take on this policy initiative!

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I was definitely interested in hearing your take on this policy initiative!

As much as I hate the Medicaid waiver system, where States design and administer their own home care systems, I think we're kind of stuck with it. Adding Medicare HCBS is a good idea, but I question if it would be the full package of HCBS supports or a more modest benefit you see with a lot of Medicaid State Plan (non waiver and therefore a Medicaid entitlement) HCBS programs. How this would work with dual eligible (people on Medicare and Medicaid) since Medicare would be their primary, which would have to interface with their Medicaid waiver. I think it would be significantly more productive to reform the Medicaid waiver system. Remove the enrollment caps and set a federal standard for what a waiver must provide while increasing the Federal match. For the elderly and disabled population this would also be the moment to build into the waivers better financial eligibility requirements (some waivers for medically fragile kids already disregard the parent's income and assets).

This is a lot of infrastructure for Medicare to stand up (rate setting, care management, monitoring, enrollment).

• Thanks 1

As much as I hate the view it's nice to see Harris get a warm welcome like that by the audience. 

I also liked that they introduced her as THE next President of the United States. 🇺🇸 

1 hour ago, Best said:

As much as I hate the view it's nice to see Harris get a warm welcome like that by the audience. 

I also liked that they introduced her as THE next President of the United States. 🇺🇸 

I hate these types of interviews.  While I'm not asking for completely adversarial or combative interviews, fluffy interviews like this don't move the needle for me.  Do they move the needle for anyone?  

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I hate these types of interviews.  While I'm not asking for completely adversarial or combative interviews, fluffy interviews like this don't move the needle for me.  Do they move the needle for anyone?  

I think it may be targeted for the audience of The View, which I'm certain 99% of us here are not.