Rock the Vote '24: update (10/14) - Harris to be interviewed by Fox News on Wednesday

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

IMG-9764.jpg

Its a comforting thought but unfortunately what Vance presented himself as last night is false. It was all performative

During the GOP primaries you saw all these Trump wannabes attempting to bully their way ahead of each other using the same style and tactics as Trump does just with a few twists (Vivek Rawsalami tried to emulate Obamas oratory cadence etc etc).

What they all realized is that the Trump style only works for Trump.  Vance clearly prepped and presented himself well and projected a more “classic” moderate republican. Vances arguments and views will fluctuate depending what platform hes on, the “cat ladies” hater is his natural state. He held the facade generally well until he had to mix his act with selling Trumps views and past actions (I was promised no fact-checks is another Trump-ism that Donald could get away with but not Vance)

Im sure Vance was prepping himself for his own future should Trump fail as well.. Im not completely sure if another MAGA failure will send the roaches back under the couch or if they stay on the surface.. but another wave of Gaetz, MTGs, Lake, and Boeberts feel more likely than not

3 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Its a comforting thought but unfortunately what Vance presented himself as last night is false. It was all performative

During the GOP primaries you saw all these Trump wannabes attempting to bully their way ahead of each other using the same style and tactics as Trump does just with a few twists (Vivek Rawsalami tried to emulate Obamas oratory cadence etc etc).

What they all realized is that the Trump style only works for Trump.  Vance clearly prepped and presented himself well and projected a more “classic” moderate republican. In general he did well until he had to mix his act with selling Trumps views and past actions.

Im sure Vance was prepping himself for his own future should Trump fail as well.. Im not completely sure if another MAGA failure will send the roaches back under the couch or if they stay on the surface.. but another wave of Gaetz, MTGs, Lake, and Boeberts feel more likely than not

You can literally see the gears turning in Vance's head when Tim asked him that simple question about 2020.

He was trying so hard in the moment to figure out an answer the GOP hasn't managed to crack in 4 years. 

How to back away from Trump's craziness without pissing off Trump.   

Listen, it’s a miracle Vance didn’t ask either of the moderators if they were menstruating at that moment.

But yeah, the “you weren’t supposed to fact check me waaahhhh” and the January 6th stuff did Vance no favors, and pissed off every Republican I know.

I went to my Facebook like an idiot and saw all the right wingers in my life whining about another “3 vs 1” situation.

1 hour ago, legend said:

I'm not skeptical that it can be more important. I'm skeptical that its weight is as big as you're claiming to justify that people's concluded win is in fact based on the issues. If you want to convince me it's that substantially skewed, you're going to have to do more than cite a quote to me, which itself, is a gut feel on your part.

It wasn’t a gut feeling that lead to Carville saying that, like him, I have actually looked at reputable sources like Pew which have very deep analysis of not just what the top issues are (the economy, by a wide margin), but how relatively important it is (the economy, by an even larger margin). You are welcome to go look at such information so you can better understand why winning the single most important issue is enough to convince most people you won, especially when of the five categories you either won or tied the majority.

I don't understand why they never blame the current state of the economy on aftermath of COVID. I guess that message doesn't test well or something?

It's baffling to me that Trump is awarded a total mulligan for what happened in 2020, but the blame for the country not immediately snapping back to normal after one of the most unprecedented and unique global crises to ever hit the planet is 100% the fault of Biden.

It's like if someone was driving a bus and it got t-boned by a semi... and then all of the wounded and rattled people in the bus decided it was time for someone else to drive and as the smashed up bus is comically  limping down the road scraping sparks and whatnot and the passengers start whining about why the guy driving isn't doing a better job.

4 minutes ago, ort said:

I don't understand why they never blame the current state of the economy on aftermath of COVID. I guess that message doesn't test well or something?

Or how Biden’s policies have kept the US’ inflation lower than most other countries.

• True 1

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It wasn’t a gut feeling that lead to Carville saying that, like him, I have actually looked at reputable sources like Pew which have very deep analysis of not just what the top issues are (the economy, by a wide margin), but how relatively important it is (the economy, by an even larger margin). You are welcome to go look at such information so you can better understand why winning the single most important issue is enough to convince most people you won, especially when of the five categories you either won or tied the majority.

The economy will stop being voters' number one issue when we have a much better welfare state.

Spoiler

It will always be the number one issue

• Haha 1
  • True 1

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The economy will stop being voters' number one issue until we get Trump back and the press starts telling people the economy is booming.

50 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

What they all realized is that the Trump style only works for Trump.  Vance clearly prepped and presented himself well and projected a more “classic” moderate republican. Vances arguments and views will fluctuate depending what platform hes on, the “cat ladies” hater is his natural state. He held the facade generally well until he had to mix his act with selling Trumps views and past actions (I was promised no fact-checks is another Trump-ism that Donald could get away with but not Vance)

Trump's magic seems to be whining without a chunk of the country thinking he's whining.  Maybe it's tone of voice or projection of confidence.  Someone else can whine about the same thing and seem pathetic whereas he doesn't to some people.

"One of the formulations he used in that campaign has entered common usage, derived from a list he posted in the campaign war room to help focus himself and his staff, with these three points:

Change vs. more of the same.
The economy, stupid.
Don't forget health care"

My feeling is the debate was pretty much tied because Walz was much better on health care, very strong on the economy and strong on issues young people say they care about (democracy, climate, abortion rights). And this is just my gut talking, but even if people put economy over abortion, 2022 and 2023 are showing me that when casting a vote, abortion remains one of the top issues even if the economy is a more obvious thing to talk about than abortion. It was a constitutional right protected by a Supreme Court decision in 1992; it no longer is. 

I remain naturally worried just because the race is close. What I'm wondering is, let's say for argument's sake the election is called the night of or the next day. Will we wake up November 6 and see that all the signs -- the GOP complaining that Trump's ground game is bad and enthusiasm is worse, the positive favorability ratings for Harris and Walz over Trump and Vance, the surge in enthusiasm for Democrats, the down ballot Democrats polling well, the +2 Democratic national mood, the unimpressive 2022 midterms for Republicans, the Dobbs decision and elections since, well-deserved fears of American democracy, a voter registration surge (especially after Taylor Swift's endorsement), intense dislike for Project 2025 -- were there the whole time and we worried for nothing? Or will there be something else we missed that we'll be talking about, such as Trump's rust belt campaign strategy that we didn't talk about as much in 2016? Will immigration end up being overriding despite the fact that Trump killed progress on a border bill so he could campaign on the issue?

Heck if I know. But I wonder if Walz was shown to hold his own on immigration because Trump publicly took credit for killing a border bill designed to fix the problems he says are there, not to mention border crossings are down.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The quote tells you that people value the economy more and I have no doubt that is supported. Indicating that to me doesn't tell me anything because I'm not disputing it. That fact alone, however, does not tell you that its relative importance large enough explain the results of the poll here. If you're only getting there by "we know it's important therefore it must be enough" that is a gut feeling conclusion, rather than an argued one. If you can demonstrate that it is indeed large enough to cover that, then I'm happy to hear it, but you haven't made that case. You're under no obligation to do that of course, but if you're not then you're not exactly presenting a compelling argument!

To that end, @Commissar SFLUFAN provided a link with some "weights" for how important each topic is. If we simply use those weights on the fractions on the poll, even with economy ranking on the top of the list, Walz still wins 53 to 47. Again, you need a big skew to justify Vance getting the win by people just going with who did better on the issues and I'm skeptical it's that large. 

And to be clear, I'm not going to tell you that the model I just used with those figures is a "good model" but it is illustrative of why I'm skeptical. If you want to claim people were actually going by the issues and just have different preferences, you have your work cut out for you.

Huh. I was taking what legend was saying to mean less "is the economy important" and more "how does the economy being important lend so much weight that 49% to 51% (or a "dead heat" as the media likes to call it) results in some huge shift in who "wins" the debate. I see 49% and 51% and that's basically a tie to me on any given issue. That's margin of error shit.

• stepee 1

33 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Huh. I was taking what legend was saying to mean less "is the economy important" and more "how does the economy being important lend so much weight that 49% to 51% (or a "dead heat" as the media likes to call it) results in some huge shift in who "wins" the debate. I see 49% and 51% and that's basically a tie to me on any given issue. That's margin of error shit.

Correct!

34 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

They’d burn their house down if a liberal has to breathe the smoke.

They'd let Trump shit in their mouth if a liberal had to kiss them immediately after.

This was Trump’s lunch order at the Alabama-Georgia game:

Two Filet-O-Fish sandwiches with cheese from McDonald’s, stadium hotdogs, Domino’s pizza, and a Diet Coke.

If Trump wins he’s almost definitely going to pass in office.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, mrbiggsly said:

That diet coke helps alot

1 minute ago, Jason said:

:sick:

🤮

I also want to emphasize that “hotdogs” was plural.

To be clear: not another food derailment - Trump’s average lunch both repulses and scares me regarding a possible Vance presidency.

2 minutes ago, mrbiggsly said:

That diet coke helps alot

There are people out there who think that Diet Coke somehow counteracts the other foods they've eaten. Like if you eat a 650 calorie cheeseburger and drink a Diet Coke with it they somehow cancel each other out.

Just now, ort said:

There are people out there who think that Diet Coke somehow counteracts the other foods they've eaten. Like if you eat a 650 calorie cheeseburger and drink a Diet Coke with it they somehow cancel each other out.

It keeps the meal to 650 calories instead of 850. It adds up!

• True 2