Rock the Vote '24: update (09/19) - NC GOP gubernatorial candidate is having a helluva day

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/books-magazines/magazines/panictime-magazines-absolutely-brutal-joe-biden-cover/news-story/d10cc3be6fc4448a83e4ddce3e469b9d

ae1d13abe05bd25be1e118553b81006a?width=6

This cover seems to imply that Biden wandered off confused somewhere, which is not actually something that happened, but is something that right wing media has been trying to pretend happened using selectively edited clips of Biden walking across the White House lawn. I thought it was Newsweek that got bought out by right wing cranks?

• Guillotine 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

We are so fucked. I’ve basically given up on this country. It’s a failed state. Just a matter of time. Even if Trump is defeated in November, all the GOP needs to do is win one election and Project 2025 will just get a new date slapped on it. Democrats are a mess and won’t be able to sustain. 

I hate it and it depresses me, but what can I do? I vote, but my vote doesn’t mean shit in this state. All I can do is focus on my own well-being. I’m fortunate to be financially secure and I can pass for straight at least. 

• True 1

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Speaking of Newsweek...

WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

A group of undecided Latino voters said they would support President Joe Biden over former President Donald Trump.

I saw on post on Bluesky that there's also a new Morning Consult poll that has Biden leading +1 after the debate. It seems like it's at least possible that Biden being old as hell was just completely baked in with the public and the freakout is entirely contained to the media and party donors lol

• True 1
  • Halal 2

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Speaking of Newsweek...

WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

A group of undecided Latino voters said they would support President Joe Biden over former President Donald Trump.

haha this is why you can't take these calls to step aside seriously

Even some Democrats have called for the party to reconsider its options, including Andrew Yang, who ran against Biden for the nomination in 2020.

• stepee 1
  • Haha 1
  • Halal 1

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The question is why were there "undecided Latino voters?"

12 minutes ago, legend said:

I will never understand this till the day I die.

As a Latino, I can tell you. There's a lot of working class Latinos who don't pay attention to the news and only see snippets on Facebook and they think, LIKE MANY POSTERS HERE, that both options are terrible or about the same.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

What do these two people have in common?  

joe-biden-statement-on-rbg-after-passing

Hubris

In my Doomsday scenario, President Biden stays in the race and goes to rest peacefully in his sleep in October.. just in time to throw the whole thing into full chaos

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Nothing wrong with a break! That last post of yours got me worried. Better yourself, find something you love to do, and remember that there are things you can control right around you. 

You have four months until the election. Think about yourself for now.

It's not the election that made me this way.  It's just the top hat on the shit show that has been my life.  I got laid off from work last Thursday because my one manager is a fucking moron, and everything since then has been a haze of looking for a new job, alcohol, and self-hatred.

• Hugs 4

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We are so fucked. I’ve basically given up on this country. It’s a failed state. Just a matter of time. Even if Trump is defeated in November, all the GOP needs to do is win one election and Project 2025 will just get a new date slapped on it. Democrats are a mess and won’t be able to sustain. 

I hate it and it depresses me, but what can I do? I vote, but my vote doesn’t mean shit in this state. All I can do is focus on my own well-being. I’m fortunate to be financially secure and I can pass for straight at least. 

Don't underestimate the importance of down-ballot elections. Even if your vote doesn't count for president. A good state/local government can be the difference in how hard a GOP president will at least hit you locally.

While we're not out of the woods, hope isn't dead. Even with last night's performance. Voters will have long since forgotten this debate by October/November when it actually counts. Doubly so if Biden pulls through a better performance which would be hard not to do.

26 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Despite being an active target of the GOP, Latinos themselves can be very single issue with abortion. It's also sadly uncommon for some of the Latino population to be seen as white and will act and vote accordingly. A large portion is also simply not that involved politically. They focus on work and family and, at best, only occasionally pay attention to politics when it involves themselves. A portion also works at jobs in which the business owner, quite illegally, threatens the workers with not voting Democrat. Many don't understand the election process and falsely believe their votes can be traced back to them and get scared out of voting Democrat. Finally, many immigrant communities, not just Latino, only remember the Republicans as the party of Reagan who granted many in the older generation with permanent residence status.

Like many voting blocs in the country there are multiple factors that go into why the Latino population votes the way that it does. There was also a surge in support after 2016 as many Latino lead local political organizations gained numbers following the election but the Democratic Party has not been great at supporting them following the pandemic. Many have since fallen apart. Which means outreach to local Latino communities has fallen apart.

• Halal 2

35 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

What do these two people have in common?  

joe-biden-statement-on-rbg-after-passing

Hubris

Remember when Joe Biden ran for President in 2016 despite the loss of his son because he wanted to take advantage of being the two term Vice president of the popular incumbent and first African American President... what an asshole amirite?

52 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

As a Latino, I can tell you. There's a lot of working class Latinos who don't pay attention to the news and only see snippets on Facebook and they think, LIKE MANY POSTERS HERE, that both options are terrible or about the same.

I guess being that disconnected when Trump had a massive controversy every fucking week he was in office is still impossible for me to wrap my head around. And if you were truly that disconnected, I can't imagine voting or watching a debate. Yet here we are.

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

I saw on post on Bluesky that there's also a new Morning Consult poll that has Biden leading +1 after the debate. It seems like it's at least possible that Biden being old as hell was just completely baked in with the public and the freakout is entirely contained to the media and party donors lol

I have no evidence, but I think there's a segment of old people who get annoyed at all the "old people are too feeble to be President" talk.

• Halal 2

6 minutes ago, TheBladeRoden said:

I have no evidence, but I think there's a segment of old people who get annoyed at all the "old people are too feeble to be President" talk.

I saw a poll yesterday that showed Biden leading by one point amongst rural voters. It was posted by a right winger on reddit who was complaining that college educated women were going to be the downfall of the country. They were overwhelmingly going for Biden.

I think people are giving too little credit to how just like Trump can be convicted of more crimes than we have digits to count and it doesn’t matter I think Biden can have a poor debate performance and it doesn’t matter. The doom and gloom cycle lowering energy will do the most damage, which is the point of what the media is doing. I think way too much stock is being put into this and don’t think any calls for him to step down are serious.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

1 hour ago, legend said:

I will never understand this till the day I die.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

It’s quite simple actually: Latinos hate abortion and love misogyny. I see it in my wife’s extended family every day. Weigh that against the racism and you can see why there are undecideds. 

• stepee 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

It’ll be finnnne 

Not if Trump wins it won't be. It's genuinely already bad enough with the Supreme Court running rampant but if Trump wins and the slavering ghouls in the Republican party are able to enforce project 2025 policies it won't be fine. Everything doesn't always work out. I'm scared because of my job and their policies. Best case scenario I'll be kicked out of the military and all that I've worked for for 10 years will be irrelevant. That is the absolute best case scenario for me. It all goes downhill from there, and I'm just one person. Their policies will impact hundreds of millions of lives at a minimum.

• Hugs 2

2 minutes ago, Siebzehn said:

Not if Trump wins it won't be. It's genuinely already bad enough with the Supreme Court running rampant but if Trump wins and the slavering ghouls in the Republican party are able to enforce project 2025 policies it won't be fine. Everything doesn't always work out. I'm scared because of my job and their policies. Best case scenario I'll be kicked out of the military and all that I've worked for for 10 years will be irrelevant. That is the absolute best case scenario for me. It all goes downhill from there, and I'm just one person. There policies will impact hundreds of millions of lives at a minimum.

Yeah but I’m saying he won’t so it’s fine. Just pack the courts after with a senate retention and house win and bing bang boom zippy alllll good.

4 minutes ago, Siebzehn said:

Not if Trump wins it won't be. It's genuinely already bad enough with the Supreme Court running rampant but if Trump wins and the slavering ghouls in the Republican party are able to enforce project 2025 policies it won't be fine. Everything doesn't always work out. I'm scared because of my job and their policies. Best case scenario I'll be kicked out of the military and all that I've worked for for 10 years will be irrelevant. That is the absolute best case scenario for me. It all goes downhill from there, and I'm just one person. There policies will impact hundreds of millions of lives at a minimum.

Question, are you identifying as trans or NB now? Was just wondering, no judgement, obviously. 

And it’s probably a scary time to be in the military and be queer now. 

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Question, are you identifying as trans or NB now? Was just wondering, no judgement, obviously. 

To be fair it wasn’t good when I was in too.

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Trans. Not publicly (obvious to you I'd imagine since we're FB friends) at this point but I began gender transition late last year. 

It's less scary because nobody outside of senior leadership and medical within my command knows. That will not be true pretty soon though and then it'll be interesting.

• stepee 2
  • Hugs 5

3 minutes ago, Siebzehn said:

Trans. Not publicly (obvious to you I'd imagine since we're FB friends) at this point but I began gender transition late last year. 

Yeah, I’d noticed a recent photo change where your pronoun was “their” so I’d wondered. Best wishes on your transitioning! 

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, I’d noticed a recent photo change where your pronoun was “their” so I’d wondered. Best wishes on your transitioning! 

Hah clever. Wonder how many others notice those details. 

Thanks so much! 😊 

• stepee 1

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Don't underestimate the importance of down-ballot elections. Even if your vote doesn't count for president. A good state/local government can be the difference in how hard a GOP president will at least hit you locally.

It doesn't matter.  Because of Project 2025, I have no doubt that Trump will (or at least attempt to) throw out any state or local government officials that don't march in lock step with him.

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

It doesn't matter.  Because of Project 2025, I have no doubt that Trump will throw out any state or local government officials that don't march in lock step with him.

Project 2025 is scary, and we should very much be working to avoid that scenario, but it only becomes hopeless once we just give up. The good and bad thing about American Democracy is how it's made out of a billion moving pieces from the federal government down to the city council of a town with a population of 1,000. We can't stop all of Project 2025 but we can sure give a fight against some of it by cutting it off where we can.

Something like Project 2025 only does full damage if everyone gives up and figures it's useless to try.

• True 1
  • Halal 2