Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

12 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

This is what was so frustrating about the past month with everything feeling hopeless.

While I will think we are long past the hope of the "fever breaking" in DC I think we are one election win away from the GOP having to drastically reinvent themselves. They have rode Trump's celebrity for a decade, sacrificed any party identity to his ego, and I doubt they even know what they are without him anymore.

It was like a nightmare where you can't move this past month seeing Dems all but surrender to a second Trump term when we are so close to putting an end to the Trump era AND cripple the GOP in one fell swoop....

This is why a lot of African Americans are so frustrated with the larger Democratic Party and Progressive movement. The fecklessness, unwillingness to fight even when you're in the right and the inability to stay on message and fall into the trap of right wing talking points every goddamned time. I mean this whole Biden dropping out thing is happening out of FEAR let's be real. And that fear came from the top of the DNC and their mega-donors. it may work out in the end, maybe, but let's not pretend that this was brilliant political strategy at play here. Dems seem to constantly be willing to snatch defeat freom the jaws of victory.

• True 3
  • Halal 3

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is why a lot of African Americans are so frustrated with the larger Democratic Party and Progressive movement. The fecklessness, unwillingness to fight even when you're in the right and the inability to stay on message and fall into the trap of right wing talking points every goddamned time. I mean this whole Biden dropping out thing is happening out of FEAR let's be real. And that fear came from the top of the DNC and their mega-donors. it may work out in the end, maybe, but let's not pretend that this was brilliant political strategy at play here. Dems seem to constantly be willing to snatch defeat freom the jaws of victory.

I remember hearing a saying, something like, "People think politics is about winning arguments. It's not, it's about dictating what arguments you have."

I don't think people even realized just how thoroughly the GOP had won the fight to make the campaign about age. It had hit the mainstream to the point where you would have thought it was the only issue that even matters in a presidential race.

I think people in the future will look back and ask, "Why exactly did one mediocre debate performance force Joe out of the race?"

Because they won't understand the context that the GOP had already so thoroughly saturated the zone with the "age issue" that people were watching Joe with a magnifying glass just waiting for any slip.

4 minutes ago, Oberon said:

ooh burn

I am trying to remember what specific roast it was from, but that is literally a joke from one of them.

Though instead of that last sentence the punchline is, "But enough about Donald Trump."

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 2

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Because they won't understand the context that the GOP had already so thoroughly saturated the zone with the "age issue" that people were watching Joe with a magnifying glass just waiting for any slip.

I also don’t think the double standard that democrats are subject to will be as apparent looking back

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

"Why exactly did one mediocre debate performance force Joe out of the race?"

Bro, it was much more than just a "mediocre" debate....

It was a colossal failure.

17 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I remember hearing a saying, something like, "People think politics is about winning arguments. It's not, it's about dictating what arguments you have."

I don't think people even realized just how thoroughly the GOP had won the fight to make the campaign about age. It had hit the mainstream to the point where you would have thought it was the only issue that even matters in a presidential race.

I think people in the future will look back and ask, "Why exactly did one mediocre debate performance force Joe out of the race?"

I am trying to remember what specific roast it was from, but that is literally a joke from one of them.

Though instead of that last sentence the punchline is, "But enough about Donald Trump."

The Democrats have let the GOP completely control how we talk about a lot of issues. "Illegal immigrant" and "catch and release" are both GOP framings of immigration for example.

Notice how the Democrats do better on issues where they don't let this happen, e.g. abortion. 

• Halal 2

38 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

This is what was so frustrating about the past month with everything feeling hopeless.

While I will think we are long past the hope of the "fever breaking" in DC I think we are one election win away from the GOP having to drastically reinvent themselves. They have rode Trump's celebrity for a decade, sacrificed any party identity to his ego, and I doubt they even know what they are without him anymore.

It was like a nightmare where you can't move this past month seeing Dems all but surrender to a second Trump term when we are so close to putting an end to the Trump era AND cripple the GOP in one fell swoop....

Even if Trump wins there isn't an heir to Trumpism.  Vance would be lucky to not eat it in an open primary, and if he made it to the general would be easy pickings for the most mediocre Democrat.

I typed that while sipping a Mtn Dew Zero, eat shit chuds, I'm keeping it.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

Just now, finaljedi said:

Even if Trump wins there isn't an heir to Trumpism. 

If Trump wins the heir to Trumpism won't need to be worried about silly things like being able to win elections. 

• Guillotine 1
  • True 2
  • Sicko 1

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Mello Yello is still a thing? I'm a Sprite/7up man meself.

It never stopped being there. Just not as popular. The name does suck. Sounds like a nickname for piss.

It is a far better-tasting citrus drink. You can actually taste and smell the orange juice in it. Whereas MTN DEW has some fake lime flavor to it despite having nearly the same ingredients.

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

We have seen before that even if the GOP has devolved under Trump, most of their politicians don't get the same Teflon Don treatment. So I think the Trump campaign is going to have to reign in Vance on this kind of behavior. But then you are left wondering why did they pick him in the first place if not for this?

Until you see it, I don't think you realize just how cringe it is to see a less popular, less slick version of Trump doing Trump things. It reminds me of being a kid and you know the small annoying kid that would follow the bully around and just repeat everything the bully said......that's what Vance comes off trying to do Trump's act as Trump's VP

It's always been cringy when Trump did it too. But he has some moron-specific reality distortion field that makes them think it's clever for reasons that are incomprehensible to anyone but the morons. 

3 minutes ago, legend said:

It's always been cringy when Trump did it too. But he has some moron-specific reality distortion field that makes them think it's clever for reasons that are incomprehensible to anyone but the morons. 

How can he be dumb? He’s rich!

Also I was born yesterday

• True 2

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Mello Yello is still a thing? I'm a Sprite/7up man meself.

Yes, my last job had mello yello in the soda machine.

Unfortunately I do like Mountain Dew but since it's the drink of choice for chuds I'm no longer drinking it. :p

• Haha 1
  • Wrong 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I honestly believe there are more of us than you expect that didn't want a second Biden term from the start. In my case it is a breath of fresh air now that he dropped out.

Biden did the job he needed to do. He beat Trump in 2020 and got some important things done over the last 4 years. Time to pass the torch on to the next generation.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Trump gets away with it because it feels genuine.  He's a shitbag liar, but he wears his emotions on his sleeve and his improv riffing on shit like showerheads and Hannibal Lector feel genuine.

Vance told that shitty Mountain Dew joke not because he thought it was funny, but because he thought the dumbasses who hear it would think it was funny.  He feels like a weird phony because he is.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They can take Diet Mountain Dew from my cold dead hands

Cold, of course, from holding a nice frosty Diet Mountain Dew.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

20 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

The G.O.P. learned this a long time ago... it didn't start with the Biden age thing. It actually predated Trump and so did the Democratic party's inability to defend against it. I mean the successfully branded Hilary with all kinds of shit to the point that she was less popular than her husband who actually DID the shit they were blaming her for. Granted, our media doesn't help... between the 24 hour news cycle's need to feed the beast with bullshit "stories" and a WHOLE media ecosystem devoted to bullshit talking points and propoganda, it was important for democrats to not only stay on message, but to HAVE a consistent message. Dems continue to fail this test everytime. Maybe this is the pivot point where with new blood we'll see a new Democratic party once the old guard . Time will tell.

• True 1

19 minutes ago, Link200 said:

I honestly believe there are more of us than you expect that didn't want a second Biden term from the start. In my case it is a breath of fresh air now that he dropped out.

Biden did the job he needed to do. He beat Trump in 2020 and got some important things done over the last 4 years. Time to pass the torch on to the next generation.

So you do it in the most disorganized, manic way possible? We had a whole primary season a couple of months ago... if you were going to do it, you do it then. We'd better be thanking whoeover or whatever people think is pulling the strings that Trump is such a god awful candidate because otherwise the Dems would be getting buried and rightfully so. There's no way anyone can tell me this was the best way to "pass the torch" regardless of the outcome. 

• True 1

26 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Trump gets away with it because it feels genuine.  He's a shitbag liar, but he wears his emotions on his sleeve and his improv riffing on shit like showerheads and Hannibal Lector feel genuine.

Vance told that shitty Mountain Dew joke not because he thought it was funny, but because he thought the dumbasses who hear it would think it was funny.  He feels like a weird phony because he is.

But the thing is he isn’t genuine. He’s the most obvious pathological liar that ever lied. 

• True 1