Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

I think the benefit to Harris is her not being 1000 years old and that shouldn’t be discounted. I also think there’s a benefit to replacing Biden at this point like “do you see republicans pushing out their crazy old man?”

There’s also the very real risk that Biden gets even worse and completely tanks it from here on out. Age related issues don’t just get better with time!

I don’t know what to do about the idiots supporting the guy who literally had brain worms though

7 minutes ago, Reputator said:

No, I remember. She couldn't keep her cool and sounded like she was on the verge of crying sometimes. She did better in the VP debate, but eh. She was up against a stale saltine cracker, so that's no big stretch.

But someone the party didn't even like enough to make the nominee has enough appeal to win a general election? Hoo boy.

I said it earlier ITT, but her effectiveness at debating Trump will be in direct correlation to if she has a story about a little girl and if that little girl was, in fact, her.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I think the benefit to Harris is her not being 1000 years old

I could be mistaken, but, I think there might be a lot of people that aren’t a 1000 years old that may be available. I’ll need to do the math, though.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I could be mistaken, but, I think there might be a lot of people that aren’t a 1000 years old that may be available. I’ll need to do the math, though.

We’re not getting those people. It’s Harris or Biden full stop. Full on fantasy land thinking that generic dem with 0 name recognition takes the top spot over a deserving and qualified black woman without a competitive and open primary

• stepee 1

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We’re not getting those people. It’s Harris or Biden full stop. Full on fantasy land thinking that generic dem with 0 name recognition takes the top spot over a deserving and qualified black woman without a competitive and open primary

Al Gore + Hildawg 2024

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And an ABC News/Ipsos poll released today showed Harris ahead of Trump 49% to 46% so make of that what you will in this "noisy" environment.

I’m not making much of it since I can almost guarantee that 90% of those polled have never heard her speak.

• Haha 2

Just to be clear: I want Trump to lose, and if I thought for a second that Kamala had a realistic shot at beating Trump I’d be all about it. If Biden stays in and somehow wins and resigns the day after inauguration and we have President Harris, I’m beyond cool with it, in fact, I’d be happy - my issue is that I think exhuming the remains of FDR, throwing his head into a mason jar, and drawing a smiley face on it with clown make up has 100x the charisma as Harris.

3 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I'm warming to the idea of Biden stepping aside only because Democrats and the media can't move on from the debate performance. Ideally he should have stepped aside long ago. 

That is also how I feel.

The important thing to me is to avoid digging in on any position to the detriment of what I think is all of our goal; ensuring that Donald Trump is never president again.

It is really easy to get caught up in the "it's Biden's own fault" vs. "actually it's not Biden so much as it is Dems scattering like quail" debate. I like Joe, but ultimately if there is a better option to beat Trump I will whole heartedly get behind it.

I still don't think Kamala is going to be a great campaigner, but yeah, at this point even an awkward Kamala is probably better than the churning shark feast that is going on right now.

4 hours ago, Haya Dune said:

Kamala could win, but she'd have to bury Trump in the debate.

I doubt Trump will bother with another debate.

In fact, I will go a step further and predict that if anyone replaces Biden the GOP's stance will be that they are an illegitimate candidate. Both on the campaign trail and(if Dems manage to win) in the courtroom. I wouldn't put it past this GOP and this SCOTUS to find some twisted reading of laws that says Joe's primary wins made him the nominee no matter what. And any victory by an alternative candidate is null and void.

• stepee 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

The tough truth to all of this mess is Biden wasn't going to win before his miserable debate performance. It seems like some of the calls to drop out are just sheer panic stemming from Biden's poll numbers being this bad at this stage in the cycle with a dark realization that Trump's numbers aren't going down due to criminal trials or anything else. Now is the chance to fire one last desperate shot to beat Trump before the show is over. I'm mentally prepared for it.

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

In fact, I will go a step further and predict that if anyone replaces Biden the GOP's stance will be that they are an illegitimate candidate. Both on the campaign trail and(if Dems manage to win) in the courtroom. I wouldn't put it past this GOP and this SCOTUS to find some twisted reading of laws that says Joe's primary wins made him the nominee no matter what. And any victory by an alternative candidate is null and void

No, they’ll actually sue in lower courts to f the ballot change:

WWW.NOTUS.ORG

“We would make it extraordinarily difficult” for Democrats to replace Joe Biden on the ballot, a Heritage Foundation leader told NOTUS.

Biden said:

Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin!

Realising his mistake, Biden caught himself and said:

President Putin! We’re going to beat President Putin. President Zelenskiy. I’m so focused on beating Putin. We’ve got to worry about it. Anyway, Mr. President.

“I’m better,” Zelenskiy said, shaking Biden’s hand.

“You are a hell of a lot better,” Biden concluded his remarks.

The remark elicited gasps in the hall, where the two men were flanked by dozens of advisers, and in the press centre, where hundreds of journalists were watching the remarks live on an internal television feed.

Every little mistake he makes will be scrutinized endlessly. At least he corrected himself. 

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

All eyes on US president this evening as he takes questions in a critical test after his disastrous debate against Donald Trump nearly two weeks ago

35 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not making much of it since I can almost guarantee that 90% of those polled have never heard her speak.

What I worry about is that we are doing that thing where the knowledgeable minority thinks a certain outcome is going to happen because we aren't accounting for the casual majority. Like, elites and those who follow the news closely are running around with their hair on fire, meanwhile the 95% of the country that doesn't do that are just like, "Huh? What's happening?". 

Even though I just said in my post above that Kamala is probably preferable to the ongoing chaos I still worry that we are just throwing away the incumbency of white, male Scranton Joe that so many saw as the likable alternative to Trump only 4 years ago to run with Kamala who is totally unproven and, on paper, has a lot going against them.

But I just don't know how you get past this. As I said, blame Biden or the reaction to Biden....but every news outlet, late night host, and social media site focusing on every flub Biden makes from now until November instead of, say, talking about Project 2025 or Trump being buddies with Epstein is just fucking untenable....

Even in the zoomed out, low info voter zone I talked about above that is going to have an effect.

• Sad 1

Oh, and another thing on why everyone needs to take a breath and make the argument more about what is best for the country and not how Biden is an old, lying, fraud who has doomed the country is that I don't think anyone knows for sure who has a better chance of beating Trump. but I can tell you what almost certainly IS a losing scenario for us. Bullying Biden out of office in a way that leaves him only giving tepid support or no support at all for whoever replaces him. Whatever hypothetical non-Biden candidate there might be will absolutely need Biden out there campaigning for them the way Biden had Obama campaigning for him.

10 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

this. As I said, blame Biden or the reaction to Biden

It’s 100% the reaction that should be blamed. As you partially noted, the press and many dems are all about the "disastrous" debate instead of the actually impressive work Biden has done. Talk that up, tell everyone what good he has done and will do for them in the future, get him elected and keep America a democracy. Talk about Trump’s recent reveal in the Epstein flight logs and that little girl he allegedly raped. Talk about how Trump answered every question at that debate with a lie. Talk about his ongoing court cases, his convictions, what the radical Supreme Court he installed has done and is doing. No, no, no, bitch and moan about a hoarse voice and flubbed sentences from an 81 year old and pretend the fucking sky is on fire because of that and not Donald fucking Trump.
I truly feel that dems are about to fuck around and find out.

• stepee 1

58 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

No, they’ll actually sue in lower courts to f the ballot change:

WWW.NOTUS.ORG

“We would make it extraordinarily difficult” for Democrats to replace Joe Biden on the ballot, a Heritage Foundation leader told NOTUS.

I've also already seen some feelers put out for a birther 2.0 campaign against her.