Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

3 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

but inflation is not high? its corporations fucking us in the ass with pricing because nobody call them out or hold them accountable? 

That may be the case, but we've had an incompetent White House that has been unable to relay that message to the public in a meaningful way.  

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

That may be the case, but we've had an incompetent White House that has been unable to relay that message to the public in a meaningful way.  

I won’t argue that Democrats are good messengers, but the Democratic Party also has a lot of systemic disadvantages when it comes to messaging which includes their party demographics and media consumption.

22 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Harris would have a unique advantage in running against arguably the most unpopular politician of all-time. Democrats really just need to field a competent candidate that isn’t Trump to have a better than toss up chance at winning.

He's kind of not though.  He should have gotten a Mondale style drubbing in 2020 and the GOP should have laughed at even letting him attend the convention let alone being the nominee the third time.  But here we are and too close to half of the country thinks he should be President.

2 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

He's kind of not though.  He should have gotten a Mondale style drubbing in 2020 and the GOP should have laughed at even letting him attend the convention let alone being the nominee the third time.  But here we are and too close to half of the country thinks he should be President.

I don’t think 2020 was a reflection of his unpopularity (popularity?), it was a reflection of the GOPs unwavering unity.

Also with Trump’s 75 million votes, that’s barely 20% of the country.

19 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

but inflation is not high? its corporations fucking us in the ass with pricing because nobody call them out or hold them accountable? 

The current rate of inflation is low, but prices have skyrocketed over the past 2-3 years and have not come down. It doesn't matter that the current rate of increase isn't the same, the prices still feel high and they still are high.

Groceries cost like 25% more than they did 3 years ago. It doesn't matter if they aren't going up 5% a month anymore... the damage was done and is still being felt.

Is that Biden's fault? Not really, no.

I liked during that 2 month period when egg prices tripled or whatever and the entire right wing was had their giant rage boners out and wouldn't shut up about it like the president has any effect on short term egg prices... like, what did they think he did? Do they think he has a knob on his desk that controls egg prices? No he doesn't. They are lying grifters who lie to their audience who they know are a bunch of dumb stupid idiots who will literally believe ANY FUCKING THING THEY TELL THEM.

I also like how the party of small government and thinks government regulations are bad freak out when prices go up and they expect the government to do something? Isn't your entire party platform based on the idea that the government should get out of the way? Which on is it you bad faith ghouls? You can't have your cake and eat it too...

It was like when they were obsessed with realizing all the Epstein lists or whatever and then when they do release some of them and Trump is all over that shit and now they don't talk about it at all. These are not honest people. These are not good people. These are evil people who will do and say anything they think they can get away with. And as Trump has proven and as their morally bankrupt voting base has proven.. they can get away with pretty much anything, because their base doesn't care.

When your base has no morals and doesn't hold you to account, you can do and say anything you want.

53 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've essentially reached the stage where if our side is going to lose, I'd much rather lose through our action (replacing Biden as the nominee) than through our inaction (retaining Biden as the nominee).

When we're lined up against the wall. Does yelling a statement to pat yourself on the back really matter? If the Dems lose to Trump there is nothing to be proud about as the country will still be fucked.

• True 1

8 minutes ago, chakoo said:

When we're lined up against the wall. Does yelling a statement to pat yourself on the back really matter? If the Dems lose to Trump there is nothing to be proud about as the country will still be fucked.

You're absolutely correct that it doesn't, but when there are zero good options, I tend to favor the one that at least tries "something".

27 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

What exactly do you think inflation is?

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Naturally, it doesn't, but when there are zero good options, I tend to favor the one that at least tries "something".

I'm personally of the opinion that the chaotic fighting over this is what is doing more damage than the party rallying behind a chosen candidate (be it Biden or Harris). It's given a pass and taken the spotlight off Trump. The party needed to resolve the issue Last Week and move on if they want to salvage this.

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I'm personally of the opinion that the chaotic fighting over this is what is doing more damage than the party rallying behind a chosen candidate (be it Biden or Harris). It's given a pass and taken the spotlight off Trump. The party needed to resolve the issue Last Week and move on if they want to salvage this.

While i agree that it has, we're still 4 months out, and almost 2 months away from the next debate, if Biden were to fall on his face in that one, whooooo boy, there is no other option so now is the only time to air this out, and its not like Biden has been stellar in any appearances since and his team seems to just wanna lie about it.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I don't think it would have mattered.  A lot of things got a lot more expensive pretty quickly and being the head of state it gets hard to shift the blame without looking even worse, even if it's not his fault.  But when the opponent says that your electric and grocery bill were a lot cheaper when he was fucking things up than the current guy, it resonates a little more, even if he can't do anything about it.

10 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I don’t think 2020 was a reflection of his unpopularity (popularity?), it was a reflection of the GOPs unwavering unity.

Also with Trump’s 75 million votes, that’s barely 20% of the country.

All that matters is the people who vote, they speak for the people who don't.  Turnout in 2020 was historic, or damn near it, 10% higher than that Reagan/Mondale election.  Which is why Republicans all of the sudden care very much about early voting and vote by mail, high turnout doesn't work out so much in their favor.

Alright - invoke the 25th and be done with it.

WWW.CNN.COM

At a star-studded fundraiser for President Joe Biden in Los Angeles last month, George Clooney wasn’t the only one who came away concerned about the president.

The second source, who echoed that same description, said when Biden attends Cabinet meetings, they are “not free-wheeling, and pretty well-orchestrated.” And the meetings themselves are infrequent, with one Cabinet secretary telling CNN they are uncertain of Biden’s condition because they so rarely see him.

In fact, the last full Cabinet meeting took place on October 2, 2023. Sources also said Cabinet meetings during the Obama years, which Biden attended as vice president, were not pre-scripted this way.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Meanwhile, according to Axios, Don Jr. is scheduled to speak right before the VP pick on Wednesday at the Republican National Convention.

This really does indicate that Vance will be the VP pick as Don Jr. has been pushing hard for him all along.

He successfully used Ohio as a stepping stone to power.  But he fits, Trump wants someone subservient to him, less charismatic, and being Ohio it gets him a state he would have won anyway.  Hopefully Harris (guessing she ends up being the nom) chooses a VP that chews him up in the debates.  I have a couple friends who went to high school with Vance, one was one of his best friends (who did not appear in that book) and the other fucking hates him and has for a long time.

1 minute ago, finaljedi said:

He successfully used Ohio as a stepping stone to power.  But he fits, Trump wants someone subservient to him, less charismatic, and being Ohio it gets him a state he would have won anyway.  Hopefully Harris (guessing she ends up being the nom) chooses a VP that chews him up in the debates.  I have a couple friends who went to high school with Vance, one was one of his best friends (who did not appear in that book) and the other fucking hates him and has for a long time.

I wonder if JD is gonna reference the fact that he was once a "Never-Trump" Republican and once called him "America's Hitler" in his VP acceptance speech?

So what I'm reading is that if Biden does well later this evening and doesn't show and cognitive issues, he will most likely stay on. What am I missing that you guys are so sure he's dropping out?

Just now, Best said:

So what I'm reading is that if Biden does well later this evening and doesn't show and cognitive issues, he will most likely stay on. What am I missing that you guys are so sure he's dropping out?

The big dollar donor money spigot is drying up pretty damned quickly.

More vulnerable/frontline Democratic House members are publicly expressing their wish that he end his candidacy.

The politically powerful/influential Congressional Black Caucus appears to be showing "cracks" in their support for his continued candidacy.

The meeting that two members of the Biden campaign had with Senate Democrats appears to have had a lukewarm reception.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Alright - invoke the 25th and be done with it.

WWW.CNN.COM

At a star-studded fundraiser for President Joe Biden in Los Angeles last month, George Clooney wasn’t the only one who came away concerned about the president.

One of the people on Jon Stewart’s podcast in the clip of tomorrow’s episode that I posted was at the fundraiser and mentions it.

I find it difficult to believe that Biden has been as bad as that article claims for a long period of time and no leaks occurred until now all of a sudden. He did a 70+ minute interview with Howard Stern barely two months ago and was seemingly fine throughout.

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

I also don’t think one good Biden NATO press conference is enough to fight back the prevailing winds.

There's no ambiguity about that at all.

This NATO press conference is largely irrelevant to the entire trajectory of events.

3 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I also don’t think one good Biden NATO press conference is enough to fight back the prevailing winds.

But what if Biden whips his dick out and demands Putin choke on it? Surely that will save his candidacy.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

One of the people on Jon Stewart’s podcast in the clip of tomorrow’s episode that I posted was at the fundraiser and mentions it.

I find it difficult to believe that Biden has been as bad as that article claims for a long period of time and no leaks occurred until now all of a sudden. He did a 70+ minute interview with Howard Stern barely two months ago and was seemingly fine throughout.

The episode is available today. It popped up in my feed this morning.

But yeah, a few of the Pod Save America guys talk about their encounters with Biden over the past few years and highlight the stark contrast between their most recent meeting and every interaction before.

2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

The episode is available today. It popped up in my feed this morning.

But yeah, a few of the Pod Save America guys talk about their encounters with Biden over the past few years and highlight the stark contrast between their most recent meeting and every interaction before.

Looks like it’s up on my podcast app but not on YouTube yet

• Halal 1

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I wonder if JD is gonna reference the fact that he was once a "Never-Trump" Republican and once called him "America's Hitler" in his VP acceptance speech?

I'm sure he'll cheekily reference being a never Trumper who saw the light.  Though maybe Trump will remember his name this time.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Former president seemed to mix up JD Vance with his rival Josh Mandel in Republican Ohio Senate primary at rally on Sunday

Of Ohio, Trump said: “We’ve endorsed – JP, right? JD Mandel, and he’s doing great. They’re all doing good. They’re all doing good. And let’s see what happens.””

• Haha 1

I have similar issues as Spork - I think that Harris will get demolished more than any gains made on the left by having a fresh candidate. If we really want to try this, we need to do it now though and see how things shake out. I think, based on historical precedent, this is a dangerous move in terms of potentially losing (as I've mentioned in previous posts) and I do think everyone forgets how racist and sexist this country is but keeping this in the news cycle and not doing anything about it one way or the other is definitely going to make the Dems lose so let's get fucking going already. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I have similar issues as Spork - I think that Harris will get demolished more than any gains made on the left by having a fresh candidate. If we really want to try this, we need to do it now though and see how things shake out. I think, based on historical precedent, this is a dangerous move in terms of potentially losing (as I've mentioned in previous posts) and I do think everyone forgets how racist and sexist this country is but keeping this in the news cycle and not doing anything about it one way or the other is definitely going to make the Dems lose so let's get fucking going already. 

Plus, I feel like I’m the only one who remembers that she was… ummm… let’s say “not great” during her debates in the 2020 primaries.

• True 1

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Plus, I feel like I’m the only one who remembers that she was… ummm… let’s say “not great” during her debates in the 2020 primaries.

No, I remember. She couldn't keep her cool and sounded like she was on the verge of crying sometimes. She did better in the VP debate, but eh. She was up against a stale saltine cracker, so that's no big stretch.

But someone the party didn't even like enough to make the nominee has enough appeal to win a general election? Hoo boy.

Let's just be up front about this:  the primary objective at this point is to mitigate the damage on the down ballot races and the only way to do this is to shrink that "enthusiasm gap" and retaining Joe Biden as the nominee ain't gonna thread that needle.

Does that mean that Harris or [insert Democratic politician here] will do that?  Who the hell knows, but the party is way, way past the point of trying to be that tactical.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Let's just be up front about this:  the primary objective at this point is to mitigate the damage on the down ballot races and the only way to do this is to shrink that "enthusiasm gap" and retaining Joe Biden as the nominee ain't gonna thread that needle.

Does that mean that Harris or [insert Democratic politician here] will do that?  Who the hell knows, but the party is way, way past the point of trying to be that tactical.

Counterpoint: if you want enthusiasm and you want Harris, you need to be checked into an asylum.