Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

31 minutes ago, nublood said:

Harris did win the debate. But to be fair, Trump did have a valid point there at the end when he asked what has she done. Everything she talked about in terms of helping the middle class, securing the border etc simply has not been done. Not sure where the confidence is coming from thinking change is coming when her political track record is very stale.

I know a different opinion will get you plenty of notifications, but I like you, dude. I'm giving you an honest response:

1. He talked about capping insulin prices for seniors on Medicare in 2020. Biden/Harris did it.

2. He talked about infrastructure for years. Biden/Harris did it.

3. He talked about expanding manufacturing. Biden/Harris did it.

4. He talked about securing the border and then killed the border bill this year.

5. He talked about the U.S. not making computer chips. We ARE doing that, and it's specifically because of the CHIPS Act under the Biden/Harris administration.

6. He talked about tax cuts for middle class but is proposing tax-hiking tariffs. Biden/Harris have been very generous on tax cuts with dozens of tax credits and incentives for upgrading appliances/windows/cars to energy efficient ones (saving money on the purchase and money on energy you're using) and parents.

7. He talked about being good for the suburbs, yet he opposes Harris' national paid leave and universal pre-K plans.

8. Trump's accomplishment was a tax cut for rich people. He still hasn't unveiled a health care plan 9 years since coming down the escalator. 9 years later and he has "concepts of a plan." What do you think he'll do differently on health care when he was a failure in his first term while his successor actually did what Trump said he would do?

This was the third Democratic administration to begin their term with a rescue plan from the previous Republican president. They've been undoing the damage and making progress so there are fewer supply chain issues, more incentives to upgrade homes instead of holding out with aging windows/air conditioners/water heaters, and increasing manufacturing so we're not reliant on other countries.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Halal 2

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Pro-Trump people complaining about “why didn’t Biden do anything about the border” when Trump pushed republicans to block a border bill that was more-or-less written by a republican is pretty ridiculous.

the trump admin had 4 years and didn't do anything but take pictures in front of it

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

the trump admin had 4 years and didn't do anything but take pictures in front of it

AMP.CNN.COM

Newly installed panels from the US border wall fell over in high winds Wednesday, landing on trees on the Mexican side of the border.

18 minutes ago, Reputator said:

She could have talked more about their track record but it's a nitpick. I think she wants to be viewed as the change candidate and so she doesn't want to dwell on the past. 

I guess we’ll see if “change” will actually happen because I think she’ll win the election easily. But I’m not optimistic at all about how she’ll lead this country. 

27 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

He talked about being good for the suburbs, yet he opposes Harris' national paid leave and universal pre-K plans.

Ehhhhhh that’s not what Trump is talking about when he says “saving the suburbs”. For one it’s a dog whistle that dems are letting “others” into suburbs via apartments and lower cost housing. And for two his concept of a plan about saving the suburbs is driving the cost of housing up, by basically saying that the suburbs should stay the same, it’s Nimbyism! Finally this is something that the Harris plan for building millions of new homes would help with the home affordability crisis. (I personally don’t think it’s enough homes but the basic concept applies)

• stepee 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

37 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

AMP.CNN.COM

Newly installed panels from the US border wall fell over in high winds Wednesday, landing on trees on the Mexican side of the border.

This is fun because before Trump was elected I said the wall wouldn't get built. My co-worker who was a Trump supporter insisted it would and said it would be, "up to spec"

And this is just some quality spec right here.

In other news...

WWW.CNN.COM

Speaker Mike Johnson announced on Wednesday that he is pulling a conservative short-term government funding bill from the House floor amid significant defections on his right flank.

Speaker Mike Johnson announced on Wednesday that he is pulling a conservative short-term government funding bill from the House floor amid significant defections on his right flank.

“No vote today,” Johnson told reporters just hours ahead of the scheduled vote. “We are having thoughtful conversations, family conversations within the Republican Conference and I believe we will get there.”

The House had been slated to vote Wednesday on a six-month government funding bill that includes a controversial measure that targets noncitizen voting. But least eight House Republicans have already come out against the funding bill, which is enough to sink it in the House along with Democratic opposition, and the bill is considered dead-on-arrival in the Democratic-controlled Senate. The Biden administration has also said the president would veto the measure.

If the GOP funding plan cannot pass the House, it would be a major embarrassment for House Republicans. It will once again highlight internal divisions and send Republicans scrambling to determine next steps as a government shutdown deadline looms at the end of the month. But Johnson might need to show that the GOP funding plan does not have the votes to pass to have political cover to then move on to a “clean” funding measure that does not include the controversial voting measure. The expectation on Capitol Hill is that scenario is the most likely path to avert a shutdown with support from Democrats.

• Sicko 1

33 minutes ago, nublood said:

I guess we’ll see if “change” will actually happen because I think she’ll win the election easily. But I’m not optimistic at all about how she’ll lead this country. 

I'd say don't be pessimistic about her until you have to.  Biden is ancient and policy-wise was pretty progressive, I don't think many people saw that coming.  I think she'll try and make a positive mark just for legacy's sake, being another historic first in American Presidents.

Kamala Harris was masterful last night. She did what no person has been able to do. She turned Trump into a 6 year old child who was being disciplined. He looked weak, and emasculated the entire night. He couldn’t even bring himself to look at her. 

She refused to use his narratives as framing for her own responses. She talked about Trump in an almost meta-like story. “83 million people fired Donald Trump, and clearly he is having a tough time processing it. I talk to leaders around the world, and they laugh at Donald Trump. Everyone thinks he’s a disgrace.”

Literally 10/10. No notes.

• stepee 6

WWW.CNN.COM

Oil prices are near three-year lows. Gas prices are sinking below $3 in many parts of America. So why were Vice President Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump talking so much about expanding oil production during Tuesday night’s debate?

For all the candidates’ talk of promoting fossil fuel production, it’s not clear that America needs drastically more oil. (And climate scientists say that’s the exact opposite of what the planet needs).

US crude prices settled below $66 a barrel Tuesday, their lowest level since December 2021, before bouncing back a bit Wednesday.

Gas prices are at a six-month low, according to AAA. Meanwhile, OPEC+, a group of major oil-producing nations, is so worried about excessive supply and weak demand in China that it delayed plans to ramp up production.

US oil production has already spiked to a record of 13.4 million barrels per day, according to weekly federal data.

Lipow said it would be “difficult” to get US output dramatically above 14 million barrels per day because all of the most efficient and cheapest places have already been drilled.

“Yes, production can go higher. But are we going to increase oil production by another 50%? That’s probably quite unlikely,” said Lipow.

Bob McNally, president of Rapidan Energy Group, is also skeptical that US output can spike.

“As a rule, the president doesn’t have the power to quickly ramp up US oil production. The industry operates all out,” said McNally, who served as an energy adviser to former President George W. Bush. “Presidents can do harm. They can make production go down suddenly. I wouldn’t go as far as to say Kamala Harris would do that, though.”

Trump has touted in recent weeks that gas prices were below $2 a gallon when he was president. He has promised to return gas prices to that level if he were to be reelected.

There are a few problems with that: The last time gas was below $2 a gallon, the world was in a recession because of the pandemic shutdowns, according to the US Energy Information Administration. Travel came to a standstill, crashing demand for fuel. It got to the point where oil prices briefly went negative for the first time ever as companies scrambled to find places to store all those unwanted barrels.

Before the pandemic, the previous time gas was below $2 a gallon was in 2016, when America ramped up fossil fuel production so much that it created a massive glut of oil and gas, eventually bankrupting a number companies. And before that, gas was last below $2 a gallon during the global financial crisis.

So it would likely take an extreme — or calamitous — event to get gas prices back below $2. In other words: The next president can promise what he or she wants: They can open up drilling permits and expand areas to frack. But that doesn’t mean there will be a market for all that oil — and it might not make financial sense for companies to take advantage.

In addition, the US has a higher "break even" price for new wells relative to other oil-producing countries which makes it more difficult to open new wells in an environment of relatively depressed prices.

WWW.STATISTA.COM

The Permian basin has a breakeven price upward of 62 U.S. dollars for new wells and only half that price for existing oil and gas wells.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.CNN.COM

Oil prices are near three-year lows. Gas prices are sinking below $3 in many parts of America. So why were Vice President Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump talking so much about expanding oil production during Tuesday night’s debate?

In addition, the US has a higher "break even" price for new wells relative to other oil-producing countries:

WWW.STATISTA.COM

The Permian basin has a breakeven price upward of 62 U.S. dollars for new wells and only half that price for existing oil and gas wells.

In addition to all of this, Trump fucked over domestic oil companies and OPEC during his tenure. I don’t think OPEC would be inclined to listen to him at all in a potential second term and I dunno that any remaining domestic companies would buy into his nonsense unless they’re Kool-Aid sippers.

27 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If Trump were to get oil below $40 a barrel, it would mean a large portion of US domestic production wouldn't be happening - which means we'd be importing even more oil, becoming more beholden to countries like Saudi Arabia and Russia. 

That's absolutely correct.

I'd dare say that US production would grind to a halt even before prices hit $40/bbl.

I looked up where this whole Hatians eating pets stuff was coming from...

It started with a man at a city council meeting claiming Haitians were killing wild ducks and eating them. Then a random Facebook post about how someone's daughter friend couldn't find their cat and then claims to have seen a field dressed cat hanging from a tree in the yard of a house where Haitans lived. No evidence, no nothing, just a random post. Then a random photo of a black man carrying a dead goose surfaced, but it was taken one town over and the photographer came out and said he had no idea the context, he just snapped it. Then there was some video of police arresting a black woman for eating a cat, but it took place hundreds of miles away and the woman was American.

That's it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ort said:

Then a random photo of a black man carrying a dead goose surfaced, but it was taken one town over and the photographer came out and said he had no idea the context, he just snapped it.

This photo was from Columbus, the made up shit about Haitian immigrants is in Springfield.  The man in this picture was doing a neighborhood clean up. No good deed goes unpunished

It's just the right wing's scandal of the week. No validity and stunningly little to actually go on but the bubble picks up a fucking social media post and snowballs it around one another until they're all reporting it because someone else in the bubble reported it.

Reminds me a lot of the litter boxes in schools bathrooms from several years back, actually. 

It just so happened to break in the same week as the debate and Trump saw it on Fox and Friends or whatever so for decades to come can people can watch this stuff and be like "What the fuck was that about?!?!"

41 minutes ago, ort said:

I looked up where this whole Hatians eating pets stuff was coming from...

It started with a man at a city council meeting claiming Haitians were killing wild ducks and eating them. Then a random Facebook post about how someone's daughter friend couldn't find their cat and then claims to have seen a field dressed cat hanging from a tree in the yard of a house where Haitans lived. No evidence, no nothing, just a random post. Then a random photo of a black man carrying a dead goose surfaced, but it was taken one town over and the photographer came out and said he had no idea the context, he just snapped it. Then there was some video of police arresting a black woman for eating a cat, but it took place hundreds of miles away and the woman was American.

That's it.

Also Nazis

WWW.NPR.ORG

Local police say they've seen no evidence of crimes against pets alleged by Vance and GOP allies. The claims appear to have been spread by a neo-Nazi group before gaining a wider audience online.