Rock the Vote '24: update (09/19) - NC GOP gubernatorial candidate is having a helluva day

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

GIVE ME A MODICUM OF OPTIMISM PLEASE

With all the talk of how news outlets have been going easy on Trump lately I am a little surprised to see that most headlines are even more positive on Kamala, her winning, and by how much than this board was.

Like I think we were all cautiously optimistic after the first debate and managing expectations with a "As long as she doesn't totally fuck up it's good for her" mindset.

Meanwhile I am seeing most headlines are saying some variation of "She won, and it wasn't close"

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Moderators are fully on Harris's side, giving her a chance to respond to Trump's stupidity on every topic they bring up. Good.

I don’t consider basic push back on pure and insane lies to be fact checking in a traditional sense: it’s just common sense. Allowing Harris to respond is also pretty normal. This is just, IMO, moderators actually doing their job; we’ve gotten all too used to silence from “journalists” with them not doing even the basics of their job and have normalized a lack of basic journalistic integrity since 2015 or so. It may seem like they are “on her side”, but they aren’t, they’re just actually doing their job. It’s like how when an unbiased article is listing facts it appears to be left leaning.

• True 1

3 hours ago, Jason said:

This is the biggest loser shit I’ve ever seen. No wonder he keeps getting divorced and no wonder his adult children have nothing to do with him. Just a phony loser sitting at home all night refreshing his feed, looking at his likes. Pathetic. 

I set an alarm to watch this but someone called my phone which breaks the alarm. But how weird would it have been to accept @stepee's phone just for the alarm and then be sleeping next to it now?

In any case what I mean is I missed the debate but with everyone gushing about it I kind of want to watch the replay, but an hour and a half long eeeeh?

Anyway

here we go batman GIF

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

Sounds like almost everyone was having a good night.

I beat Astro Bot, Wade was playing Warhammer, and the rest of D1P enjoyed a savage beating of a deranged old man!

SgS2H7Y.gif

I missed the first half of the debate to play AstroBot. I only caught the tail half of it because then I laid down for bed and my wife had it on unfortunately. 

• stepee 1

It's kind of interesting to me (not saying it's wrong necessarily) that Harris has veered so hard into the center. 

The problem with Biden wasn't that people who voted for him in 2020 were going to vote for Trump in 2024, the problem was the amount of people who were just going to stay home. They are doubling down on neoliberalism at the sake of progressive messaging, which could potentially backfire if progressives in PA and GA stay home.

15 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

So what's everyone thinking about a VP debate at this point?

My off the cuff impression is that the Trump campaign would be insane to risk sending Vance out there to probably put the Weird Icing on that Weird Cake Trump served up last night. 

What say you?

35a3ec0f-7698-497b-a7e2-985b21aa02e9_tex

An hour and a half of J.D. trying to workshop a "Tim Walz horse drank horse cum" joke, on the spot, culminating in J.D. somehow admitting he once drank horse cum.

• stepee 1
  • True 1

52 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

My off the cuff impression is that the Trump campaign would be insane to risk sending Vance out there to probably put the Weird Icing on that Weird Cake Trump served up last night. 

What say you?

I am in for Coach Vs. Couch Fucker, 2024! :sun:

29 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

What say you?

The Simpsons GIF

• Haha 1

My take is that this debate needed to cast Kamala in a strong position and she did the job last night. The GOP is a cult, so reality, facts, etc have much less impact on their rank and file, so I'm doubtful of the needle jumping because of this. That said, This debate clearly provided more content (talking points/Ad materials) for the Dems and gave Trump and team really nothing to work with. Net gain for the dems, hard spinning/damage control back at the Legion of Dumb's headquarters. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

What say you?

Only if Walz sneaks subtle couch/couch-adjacent references into every rebuttal.

"This reminds me of the time I was teaching my students about the Ottoman empire..."

"I'll be honest, my opponent is being a bit of a Lay-z-boy here..."

"It's like I told the kids from my school's baseball team before they went to sectionals..."

"I believe in being a good neighbor.  If my neighbor's had a rough night, I offer them a place on the loveseat and talk to them about their problems..."

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My take is that this debate needed to cast Kamala in a strong position and she did the job last night. The GOP is a cult, so reality, facts, etc have much less impact on their rank and file, so I'm doubtful of the needle jumping because of this. That said, This debate clearly provided more content (talking points/Ad materials) for the Dems and gave Trump and team really nothing to work with. Net gain for the dems, hard spinning/damage control back at the Legion of Dumb's headquarters. 

Like I've said, no one who voted for Trump in 2020 is suddenly going to vote for Harris now, and no one who voted for Biden in 2020 is suddenly going to vote for Trump now. Their problem was people staying home.

The Dems faced a decision: Do you pander to the "moderates" (who are really just people like my dad who are conservatives that just don't get down with the culture war shit but would happily vote Republican if it was anyone but Trump) and risk the progressives staying home in November, or do you pander to the progressives and risk the moderates staying home?

They have firmly chosen the former, and I feel like that's what they tried to do with Hillary in 2016 and she lost.

I feel like it's been long since time that they need to lean into progressive policies, not run from them. In 2016, two states that were KEY in Trump winning were Michigan and Wisconsin - BERNIE BEAT HILLARY IN THOSE STATES. You can only campaign so much on "yeah we suck, but at least we're not Trump." Progressive policies actually inspire people to vote for something, not simply against something.

The vast majority of Americans WANT free access to healthcare, they want legalized marijuana, they want access to safe abortions, they want more restrictions on gun ownership, these are all positions that the GOP cannot have. LEAN INTO IT. They're afraid to do it because they are still trying to court "moderates."

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

What say you?

I can imagine JD leaving mid debate and giving up

25 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Like I've said, no one who voted for Trump in 2020 is suddenly going to vote for Harris now, and no one who voted for Biden in 2020 is suddenly going to vote for Trump now. Their problem was people staying home.

The Dems faced a decision: Do you pander to the "moderates" (who are really just people like my dad who are conservatives that just don't get down with the culture war shit but would happily vote Republican if it was anyone but Trump) and risk the progressives staying home in November, or do you pander to the progressives and risk the moderates staying home?

They have firmly chosen the former, and I feel like that's what they tried to do with Hillary in 2016 and she lost.

I feel like it's been long since time that they need to lean into progressive policies, not run from them. In 2016, two states that were KEY in Trump winning were Michigan and Wisconsin - BERNIE BEAT HILLARY IN THOSE STATES. You can only campaign so much on "yeah we suck, but at least we're not Trump." Progressive policies actually inspire people to vote for something, not simply against something.

The vast majority of Americans WANT free access to healthcare, they want legalized marijuana, they want access to safe abortions, they want more restrictions on gun ownership, these are all positions that the GOP cannot have. LEAN INTO IT. They're afraid to do it because they are still trying to court "moderates."

Actually I'd say the positions in that last paragraph can be characterized, with the exception of 'free access to healthcare', as centrist positions now, given the current electorate.  (American views on free healthcare are complicated and oftentimes don't conform totally to the usual left/right divisions of other issues)  And Harris is actually supportive of almost all of them, minus healthcare (where she's in the half-way public, half-way private realm of Obamacare) and national legalization of marijuana.

Progressive policies (in America, that is) are now more in the realm of 'high taxes for high-income individuals/large corporations', 'regulation of business and industry to prevent climate change', 'more protections/freedom for the 'T' in LGBTQ', and a few other things.  They don't poll quite as well and I can see why Harris wouldn't lean too much into them to win a national election...but that might change in the future.  Kinda depends on how conservative or liberal the millenial cohort as a whole turns out to be when they get older.