Rock the Vote '24: update (09/19) - NC GOP gubernatorial candidate is having a helluva day

42 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

It was the debate version of a movie bar fight where a drunk asshole tries to punch the protagonist several times and he just moves to the side and lets the drunk fly across the room into a table over and over.

21 minutes ago, ort said:

I think I just need to remember who these things are actually for… and it sure as hell ain’t anyone posting on these boards…

Politics has just gotten so fucked up and weird since the rise of social media. It’s really just morphed into a new version of sports fandom for weirdo political junkies like us. There’s like this weird tiny sliver of humanity, like 2-3% who obsess over this shit, and like to try and score gotcha points like, ooh, look, your guy said this last night, but he said this 2 weeks ago and GOTCHA! Look, your guy violated some law or norm that I actually don’t give any fucks about, but since your side is usually in favor of stuff like that it makes you look foolish, HA HA GOT YA AGAIN! But literally none of that shit matters at all. It’s just noise and nonsense. It’s all a distraction and no one likes it more than the politicians, and the massive industries that feed off selling us this shit show. The political industrial complex, the media and the tv stations and websites with lines around the block buying ads… and for what? An election that’s going to come down to the whims of 50,000 goofy barely informed people in the rust belt?

Actual progress happens so slowly, while we argue over meaningless bullshit. I’m drowning medical bills because our entire system is horseshit and these fuckers are arguing over whether or not scary brown people are eating dogs or not.

Im so fucking sick of the Trump era of politics. It’s taken the entire discourse and dragged it through the mud.

But of course. The thing is, "it doesn't matter" is absolutely incorrect, "it shouldn't matter" is where we're at. The totality of the fucking problem is that it matters at all.

For me, if we can put Trump in the dirt politically with this election, we can actually return to getting politicians to do the things we need them to do, that we want them to do. It doesn't mean we'll magically, instantly get to that point, but at least we'll be on the right track to be a somewhat functional nation again, and hopefully put this Trump-era bullshit in the dirt for good after 2 embarrassing losses.

And maybe overturn the stupid fucking electoral college while we're at it. And reform the shitty ass supreme court.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

did ort hack your account

I live in rural bumfuck Indiana. Ort merely adopted* the darkness; I was born into it. :p

*maybe he was too I have no idea where he lives.

30 minutes ago, ort said:

It’s really just morphed into a new version of sports fandom for weirdo political junkies like us.

All the conservatives crying about the moderators favoring Harris and hammering Trump have real "the REFS screwed my team over!" vibe.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Why not? 

Why not?

WHY NOT?!

I'LL TELL YOU WHY FUCKING NOT

I HAVE BEEN LAID OFF FOR ALMOST 3 MONTHS NOW

I HAVE HEARD NOTHING FROM ANYONE ABOUT AN INTERVIEW OR A POTENTIAL JOB OPERTONITY

MY SAVINGS HAVE ALL BEEN DRIED UP

BECAUSE UNLIKE MOST OF YOU I'M NOT A GALAXY-BRAINED PERSON THAT CAN INVEST THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF MY PAYCHECK EVERY MONTH INTO INVESTMENTS OR WHATEVER

NOT A MOMENT HAS GONE BY SINCE JUNE 20TH THAT I HAVEN'T WANTED TO KILL MYSELF

I DON’T CARE IF I GET BANNED FROM THIS FORUM ANYMORE I JUST WANT THIS PAIN TO END AND I JUST WANT TO DIE

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 6

25 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I live in rural bumfuck Indiana. Ort merely adopted* the darkness; I was born into it. :p

All the conservatives crying about the moderators favoring Harris and hammering Trump have real "the REFS screwed my team over!" vibe.

I'm in rural bumfuck Indiana :cry:

• Hype 1

28 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Missouri baby, the Florida of the Midwest.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Why not?

WHY NOT?!

I HAVE HEARD NOTHING FROM ANYONE ABOUT AN INTERVIEW OR A POTENTIAL JOB OPERTONITY

BECAUSE UNLIKE MOST OF YOU I'M NOT A GALAXY-BRAINED PERSON THAT CAN INVEST THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF MY PAYCHECK EVERY MONTH INTO INVESTMENTS OR WHATEVER

I DON’T CARE IF I GET BANNED FROM THIS FORUM ANYMORE I JUST WANT THIS PAIN TO END AND I JUST WANT TO DIE

I can offer you some true but probably empty platitudes like “you are not alone in this” and “take it one day at a time” (lol what the fuck does that even mean?)

I can also offer you my lived experience: I don’t have a lot of (or any) additional investments outside of my standard 401k recently. My MIL is in hospice care in my basement and we have been spending a lot of money (every spare penny) on her health and well-being. I’m not unemployed but I know what it’s like to watch your savings drain and it’s quite disheartening.

I also know what it’s like to be laid off. That shit fucking sucks. But looking in the rear view mirror I can also say it was the best thing that happened to me. When I finally got a job at a real company several months afterwards it put me on my current career trajectory. Side note: don’t hesitate to look for jobs outside of your state.

Anyways, “take it one day at a time” but also try to see beyond. 99% of people who have ever become unemployed don’t stay that way. It won’t be different for you even though it doesn’t feel like it right now. 

• Guillotine 1
  • True 1
  • Hugs 1

It took me 3 months to get a job when I got cut loose years ago.  I ended up getting a temp job that filled some fairly lucrative bubbles for the resume at the time.  That between period tapped out my savings and I killed time by playing the first two Witcher games.

Look at temp jobs, the benefits are shit, you get treated like a second class employee.  But they’ll pay the bills.  Find a really long video game and play that too.

• Halal 1

I'm working a temp/freelance contractor gig too. I had to look out of my wheelhouse a little bit. My gig ends in two weeks I'm hoping they renew. I get living paycheck for paycheck and the stress about the situation, and the unending doom. But you gotta keep pushing man. I feel like the layoffs are artificial, trying to squeeze us to get Trump in there for a tax cut. It's taking people 8months to find work. I know it's hard when you got bills coming, but I believe you'll find a way. You need a break, it hasn't happened yet, but it will.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

Why not?

WHY NOT?!

If you have a 4 year degree you can substitute teach. 

• Guillotine 1