Rock the Vote '24: update (09/19) - NC GOP gubernatorial candidate is having a helluva day

2 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Pfft they let him talk so much longer it’s not even funny. 

If someone puts that kind of data out, link it here. But if this was a football game, this felt like, for time of possession, 2/3's Trump and 1/3 Harris. Does Harris prefer that? Probably. But yeah, no question he talked longer.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Actually I don’t know if it was longer. But they let him respond to responses of responses over and over and over again instead of moving on. 

I am open to someone posting the stats but just watching it sure seemed like he got almost twice the speaking time. 

• Halal 1

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

If someone puts that kind of data out, link it here. But if this was a football game, this felt like, for time of possession, 2/3's Trump and 1/3 Harris. Does Harris prefer that? Probably. But yeah, no question he talked longer.

Yeah and I clarified in my next post. Talk time not relevant. They let him respond way more regardless of talk time.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Link200 said:

Merely one example. It can be twisted in many ways. Fragile ego. Inability to keep his mouth shut when he needs to. etc etc.

It may be frustrating, but as a woman she probably has to do a much more delicate balance of how she comes off than, say, if it was Barack Obama. I think she did a good job balancing appearing tough but fair and not bitchy, which is a much higher standard than what I could get away with as a man. Unfortunately this still matters a lot for the normies in 2024.

7 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Tbf Trump has shown that giving too much detail is bad for getting elected because it allows for a specific avenue of attack.

He doesn’t even need details just one anecdote and remember peoples names the bar for him is in HELL

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

There truly is nothing that Harris can do to look better than letting Trump ramble.

• Halal 1

My favorite was when he insisted that it was so important for him to respond to this or that topic and then he immediately shot off on a completely unrelated rant.

There was a couple of times when he clearly just completely lost his train of thought and hid it by ranting about the border or some shit.

• Halal 1

@sblfilms Let’s be wet blankets together.  I was frustrated too, and think she could have done much better; there were a lot of counterpunches and chances to address weak criticisms that she left on the table, and her answers could have been more on-point, more substantive and less campaign slogan-sounding.

In fact, the most frustrating thing was that Trump left her so many opportunities to completely obliterate him on several issues, and she only ‘kinda-sorta’ did so.  So I think your criticism is valid.  

…But…BUT!  Side-by-side, she looked waaaaaay better than Trump, who came off as a cranky raving old man.  And although they could have been better, her answers were nonetheless generally superior to and less fatuous-sounding than Trump’s.

To me, though, the most important thing is that she mostly looked authentic, likeable, and presidential and didn’t make any major mistakes.  That shouldn’t matter—I *hate* that it matters!—but unfortunately it’s the most important key to winning over the dumbass swing voters that this debate was aimed at.

To sum it up: could have been better, could have been worse.  I don’t think this will really change the race much—but it didn’t hurt Harris, which can be interpreted as a minor win.

And a minor win in a race this tight can actually be of major significance.  We’ll see.

• Halal 5
  • Hugs 1

Just now, Air_Delivery said:

Which is sad because Biden was a great debater in his time.

Age aside, Trump is not easy to debate. You have to have enormous energy to keep up with his non sequiturs, his on-the-spot lies, the online conspiracies that he drudges out, etc. Against a normal opponent Biden was fine but against a demented wild card, you need to be a razer sharp firebrand.

7 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

If anyone needs a palette cleanser, Seth Meyers and Kevin Heart day drinking new episode

I've been waiting for the episode to drop, and it drops when the debate, in Philly, is a win for Harris and then native Philadelphian Kevin Hart drops a day drinking episode with Seth Meyers after Taylor Swift endorses Harris? This has been quite the night.

• stepee 2

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I completely agree. The more you let him ramble (and the debuff stacks over time), eventually you get "concepts of a plan" and we're good to go.

8 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Just because we are opposed to the horrible politics that Trump has ushered in doesn't mean politics isn't still politics.

Harris and Dems are totally within the right to have it both ways on this topic.

Just because it's probably good for Harris that Trump rants and raves doesn't mean that they shouldn't complain that they got uneven speaking time.

Especially when the sight test in the moment just made it look so glaring.

That said, the reason I bring up working the refs is because Kamala is so smart to call for another debate right. So much of the debate is about perception and being the one to immediately ask for round 2 shows who is confident they won.

Just like how Trump was forced into this debate tonight he now gets to look weak and demure on a second debate, or he says he wants one and that puts Kamala right back in the driver seat of calling him a wimp when he inevitably tries to back out of it.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

That said, the reason I bring up working the refs is because Kamala is so smart to call for another debate right. So much of the debate is about perception and being the one to immediately ask for round 2 shows who is confident they won.

Exactly this. Instead of mindlessly walking around reporters, just demand a second debate. It makes it look like you won regardless of whether you actually won the debate or not. "It's a trick, a shadow on the wall" essentially. Keep making Trump feeling small.