Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

There isn’t a force on earth that could compel me to watch this bullshit other than a guarantee that I’d win tonight’s Mega Millions drawing.

The bar for Harris is to be informed but not in a cunty way, competent but not condescending, have policies that have broad appeal without alienating the base, etc.

The bar for Trump is, “don’t say the N word.”

I’d rather make myself a methanol martini and coast.

• True 1
  • Hugs 4

I feel like I have to watch it.  I was going to a soccer game with a friend, but his wife is about to pop out a baby any minute and reception dies at that stadium so he doesn't want to miss his kid being born over a friendly between USA and NZ.

What I'm not going to do is listen to the horrid takes from the panel afterwards.  I'll watch one if they find a bunch of "undecided voters" and waterboard them until they stop lying about being undecided.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play Space Marine II instead

I'm looking forward to the debate tonight.  I really want the moderators to discuss economic policy above all else - especially tariffs.  I want ABC to get Trump on the record and have him discuss what he thinks a tariff is and who ultimately pays for tariffs.  

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm looking forward to the debate tonight.  I really want the moderators to discuss economic policy above all else - especially tariffs.  I want ABC to get Trump on the record and have him discuss what he thinks a tariff is and who ultimately pays for tariffs.  

You expect the media to actually push Trump on anything? 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

You expect the media to actually push Trump on anything? 

Define "expect".

On one hand, yes I expect them to ask such a question, and hammer him until he gives an answer.  On the other hand, I do not expect them to do that at all!

• True 2

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I was debating on doing a drinking game for the debate tonight where every time Trump sniffed like a recovering coke addict I'd take a shot, but then I realized I didn't want to go into liver failure

Just do shots of beer.  By the end of the debate, you'll likely be 12 cans deep in a 24 pack. 

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Define "expect".

On one hand, yes I expect them to ask such a question, and hammer him until he gives an answer.  On the other hand, I do not expect them to do that at all!

I expect journalists to do their jobs as well, but I, unfortunately, also know the reality we live in! :p 

Trump: In democrat run states, children are being ripped from the womb with abortions performed after they’re born!

Jake Tapper: Thank you. *begins next question*

44 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Moderator: Can you explain why you think tariffs will save Americans money?

Trump: China will pay. They'll pay. So many—money is going to go to, so much to our families. They won't know what to do with it. So much, from so—they'll say, they'll ask to give some back, to help—and that's not including what else.

Harris: As you can see, he doesn't even understand tariffs. They never save anyone money, they won't help American business that are hurting. Here is my 12-step plan to address affordability (lays out plan)

NYT tomorrow: In competing visions of future, Harris stumbles on tariffs (in article, it will point out that tariffs helped some company one time in 1870, proving that she was wrong that they "never" work)

• Halal 5

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Moderator: Can you explain why you think tariffs will save Americans money?

Trump: China will pay. They'll pay. So many—money is going to go to, so much to our families. They won't know what to do with it. So much, from so—they'll say, they'll ask to give some back, to help—and that's not including what else.

Harris: As you can see, he doesn't even understand tariffs. They never save anyone money, they won't help American business that are hurting. Here is my 12-step plan to address affordability (lays out plan)

NYT tomorrow: In competing visions of future, Harris stumbles on tariffs (in article, it will point out that tariffs helped some company one time in 1870, proving that she was wrong that they "never" work)

Post debate panel on CNN:  I think Donald Trump gets it a bit wrong in the details, but Harris struggled to communicate her plan to average Americans, what she said isn't going to resonate with tire factory workers in Youngstown, OH.  Trump laid it out simple and easy to understand for the average American.

• Haha 1
  • True 2

59 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

In the event that he bloviates his way through the tariff response, it's not exactly difficult for Harris to say that "Yes, the government will collect taxes on those goods and services, but companies will pass those additional costs on to consumers in order for them to maintain their profit margins.  What that means for you is fewer presents under the Christmas tree." 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

IMG-9621.jpg

Yea, it’s real.

So basically, someone in Ohio put out a rumour that Haitian immigrants were killing neighbourhood dogs and cats for voodoo rituals and to eat them. Then a homeless woman (Black, not immigrant) was caught killing a cat. This has combined into the right-wing saying that Haitian voodoo gangs are stealing dozens of cats and dogs for their rituals.

4 hours ago, finaljedi said:

In 2016 I had a Trump hat that I found and kept around ironically.  Then the fucker won, I'm not doing ironic Trump shit anymore, maybe after Harris wins and Trump is well and permanently in the rear view as far as leading this country goes.

So you're the one...

Just now, SaysWho? said:

So you're the one...

Yeah, and Ohio was still considered a bellwether state at that time.  So I fucked that one up, I didn't vote for Trump, and never actually wore that stupid hat.  But I made some jokes among friends with it as a prop, so my bad.