Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

2 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

So she has definitely swung WAAAAY to the center which may work out. I don't like the $25k down payment assistance, but I'm not against asking the ultra wealthy to pay more or a comparable rate to wage slaves. 

If you look earlier in the thread, most if not all of us were of this exact opinion on this specific policy proposal.

8 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

If you look earlier in the thread, most if not all of us were of this exact opinion on this specific policy proposal.

Excellent. Seems there is common ground. People got a little too excited at my arrival.  

It will be interesting on what her border plan is if it’s beyond reintroducing the bipartisan bill that was blackholed.

While is is important to remind people of the connection between project 2025 and Trump (he genuinely doesn’t care about most of those things in p2025, but the people who will staff his administration will and do, as many are veterans of his previous administration) what he constantly calls for is the mass deportation of “illegals” which may sounds good if you’re not likely to be caught up in his drag net (read: you’re white, even without papers, they’re not going after illegal Irish immigrants) but will ultimately lead to suffering and ethnic cleansing on a scale unheard of in this country since the trail of tears. It’s bad!

7 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

Excellent. Seems there is common ground. People got a little too excited at my arrival.  

It will be interesting on what her border plan is if it’s beyond reintroducing the bipartisan bill that was blackholed.

TBF to them, you can be...a lot to handle.  To those who weren't here during the CEB days it can seem like you're just being a provocateur, when I think it's more the case that you're posting in relative good faith, but are just an abrasive old fart sometimes.:p

Also, a lot has happened since the last time you were here.  I don't think you've consistently posted here since before Trump, and the temperature of politics has been turned up a few degrees in the interim--in no small part due to his antics. (But even more so, IMO, due to the evolution of social media and its influence on society)

And the stakes are a bit higher now too.  What I said before is true--Trump did try to throw out the results of a presidential election and, unlike any president since the Civil War, did not accept the peaceful transfer of power in 2020, even after he had his day(s) in court.  It's not total hyperbole anymore to argue that reelecting him could result in a kind of 'soft fascism' like we're seeing develop in Hungary under Orban.  I think people can be forgiven for being on edge about that.

In fact, going back to what we were just yelling about, that's one of the greatest arguments in favor of Harris there is, as I see it.  Regardless of what you think about her policies, under her we might be able to just go back to yelling at each other over more mundane stuff, like tax policy and standard culture war shit.  I think Trump would inaugurate something much darker.    

• stepee 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hype 1

6 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

TBF to them, you can be...a lot to handle.  To those who weren't here during the CEB days it can seem like you're just being a provocateur, when I think it's more the case that you're posting in relative good faith, but are just an abrasive old fart sometimes.:p

Also, a lot has happened since the last time you were here.  I don't think you've consistently posted here since before Trump, and the temperature of politics has been turned up a few degrees in the interim--in no small part due to his antics. (But even more so, IMO, due to the evolution of social media and its influence on society)

And the stakes are a bit higher now too.  What I said before is true--Trump did try to throw out the results of a presidential election and, unlike any president since the Civil War, did not accept the peaceful transfer of power in 2020, even after he had his day(s) in court.  It's not total hyperbole anymore to argue that reelecting him could result in a kind of 'soft fascism' like we're seeing develop in Hungary under Orban.  I think people can be forgiven for being on edge about that.

In fact, going back to what we were just yelling about, that's one of the greatest arguments in favor of Harris there is, as I see it.  Regardless of what you think about her policies, under her we might be able to just go back to yelling at each other over more mundane stuff, like tax policy and standard culture war shit.  I think Trump would inaugurate something much darker.    

I think these are reasonable points. Bill Maher has said he'd vote for Biden's head in a jar of blue liquid before Trump because disrupting the peaceful transfer of power is a nonstarter, regardless of any policies he likes from Trump. 

10 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

I think these are reasonable points. Bill Maher has said he'd vote for Biden's head in a jar of blue liquid before Trump because disrupting the peaceful transfer of power is a nonstarter, regardless of any policies he likes from Trump. 

It's also what the Never-Trumpers are all about.  Most of them are up-front about the fact that, when/if Trump is pushed off the political stage, they'll go back to fighting for conservative policies. (I think they mean more the 'Reagan Democrat' conservative though, rather than the Buchanan conservative)

The latter is one of the more interesting aspects of the post-Trump political landscape.  It almost feels a bit like the uneasy alliance between the Soviets and the Allies against Hitler during WW2. (You'll forgive me for subjecting us to Godwin's Law for a moment)

11 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

It's also what the Never-Trumpers are all about.  Most of them are up-front about the fact that, when/if Trump is pushed off the political stage, they'll go back to fighting for conservative policies.

The latter is one of the more interesting aspects of the post-Trump political landscape.  It almost feels a bit like the uneasy alliance between the Soviets and the Allies against Hitler during WW2. (You'll forgive me for subjecting us to Godwin's Law for a moment)

The counter to that is that the GOP hasn't been conservative in a long time. It's neoconservatism, as the left has claimed for decades. Endless wars and corporatism. Many are black pilled and want the GOP to implode and never got back to the days of the GOP invading Iraq cause "reasons". Trump has become a canvas where whatever you want can be painted on. Some things require some crazy mental leaps like believing Trump has favor Bible versions, but others, such as negotiating with bad guys in order to prevent more conflict - Abraham Accords, and being tough on China, do not. Trump is tugging the right towards populism. 

5 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Fact it’s even close just continues to reinforce my opinion of how shitty this pretend country is.

Had the Dems had a primary they could have picked someone who would be smoking Trump right now. I agree, this shouldn't be a close election. How do you fuck up beating Trump? This should be a lay up. 

• True 1

I just don't like the idea that Vital is a troll just because he has a different perspective than everyone here. I've seen this a few times on here. But that's politics for you. It just creates a hostile environment. That's why I never get too deep into it and the same goes for religion. 

He hasn't been disrespectful to anyone and has been posting his thoughts intelligently. 

:shrug:

10 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Had the Dems had a primary they could have picked someone who would be smoking Trump right now. I agree, this shouldn't be a close election. How do you fuck up beating Trump? This should be a lay up. 

They're banking on a trump meltdown tomorrow.  Trump will try and be disciplined, but also Harris needs to call out when he lies, the moderators won't and I think doing that constantly will needle him enough to break free of whatever prep Tulsi and the gang are doing.

The Democrats need to go back to their pre-convention media blitz, send Mayor Pete back out to tussle with Fox News.  Have Harris sit down with some friendly interviewers like George S.  Do interview drills on the plane and bus between appearances.  They're doing plenty of appearances, but seem to be slacking on the media side.

• Halal 1

There is no magical democratic candidate where they would handily win because the only way it's close is a combination of cult mentality largely supported by the media (e.g., "sanity washing"), the electoral college, and GOP voter suppression efforts. These things are not budged by a better democratic candidate.

• True 3
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, legend said:

There is no magical democratic candidate where they would handily win because the only way it's close is a combination of cult mentality largely supported by the media (e.g., "sanity washing"), the electoral college, and GOP voter suppression efforts. These things are not budged by a better democratic candidate.

Disagree. I think a Beshear or Shapiro would have won handily. Either would pull a lot of independents. 

50 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Disagree, picking a relative unknown at the time of the primary over the current VP would have been a bad look for the Democrats. Harris’s wave since Biden’s step down has been about as positive as she could have possibly hoped.

The main reason this election is close is because a good portion of this country is absolutely ridiculous, and the Republican Party just bends over for it.

9 minutes ago, legend said:

A little louder for the people in the back.

We’d like to think that we should easily be able to be Trump. I’m sure 30 years ago this would be the case. It is not the case right now. There’s nobody who would easily defeat him.

• stepee 1

Just now, SaysWho? said:

A little louder for the people in the back.

We’d like to think that we should easily be able to be Trump. I’m sure 30 years ago this would be the case. It is not the case right now. There’s nobody who would easily defeat him.

Bill Burr coulda beat him!

1 minute ago, Amazatron said:

Disagree, picking a relative unknown at the time of the primary over the current VP would have been a bad look for the Democrats. Harris’s wave since Biden’s step down has been about as positive as she could have possibly hoped.

The main reason this election is close is because a good portion of this country is absolutely ridiculous, and the Republican Party just bends over for it.

Harris is the VP is a remarkably unpopular administration. Biden’s numbers are like historic lows for any President since they’ve done polling. She’s basically running against her own admin. 

Obama was “fresh and unknown” in 2007 and ran away with it. Could have happened here too with someone else. 

1 minute ago, Vitalsign said:

Harris is the VP is a remarkably unpopular administration. Biden’s numbers are like historic lows for any President since they’ve done polling. She’s basically running against her own admin. 

Obama was “fresh and unknown” in 2007 and ran away with it. Could have happened here too with someone else. 

Obama had younger guy energy and people were tired of the GOP and Bush.  The Democrats had a problem in 2020 of having no one waiting in the wings from Gen X to step up.

I don't think anyone will disagree that Biden should have committed to the single term from the jump.  He paid lipservice to being a caretaker President, but wouldn't commit and it put the Democrats into the awkward position of kind of pushing him out after giving Trump his one "good" debate performance.  An open primary this year would have been ideal, but at the same time the only people who seem to have a problem with Harris being the nominee weren't going to vote Democrat anyway, the exception being the goobers calling for a "blitz primary" a couple months back.

I think Harris is fine, and if she brings even a B effort she'll do fine tomorrow night.  It is a bummer that the standards are higher for her where she will need to eloquently state her points while peeling Trump apart and the standard for Trump looking "disciplined" is not being an overt racist.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Obama had younger guy energy and people were tired of the GOP and Bush.  The Democrats had a problem in 2020 of having no one waiting in the wings from Gen X to step up.

I don't think anyone will disagree that Biden should have committed to the single term from the jump.  He paid lipservice to being a caretaker President, but wouldn't commit and it put the Democrats into the awkward position of kind of pushing him out after giving Trump his one "good" debate performance.  An open primary this year would have been ideal, but at the same time the only people who seem to have a problem with Harris being the nominee weren't going to vote Democrat anyway, the exception being the goobers calling for a "blitz primary" a couple months back.

I think Harris is fine, and if she brings even a B effort she'll do fine tomorrow night.  It is a bummer that the standards are higher for her where she will need to eloquently state her points while peeling Trump apart and the standard for Trump looking "disciplined" is not being an overt racist.

Trump looked disciplined because the Biden team insisted on muted mics. That was the greatest gift to Trump. He will use that time to lay into Harris instead of answering any questions. Much like he did to Biden and it worked. 

Even the late night shows were dunking on Harris before she was the nominee. It's not racism, she's just not a likable candidate.