Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

Imagine if she loses the debate. It’s going to look really bad to try to scramble to do interviews as quickly as possible to make up for it like Biden attempted. She basically has gone all in the debate. I think it would have been safer to do one or two more boring interviews. 

How would we know Harris won the debate?

The right will have everyone thinking Trump won regardless in what happens. He'll do his normal name calling/attacking performance and the news media will eat it up for lunch. 

• True 3

9 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Imagine if she loses the debate. It’s going to look really bad to try to scramble to do interviews as quickly as possible to make up for it like Biden attempted. She basically has gone all in the debate. I think it would have been safer to do one or two more boring interviews. 

By any rational sense, it is impossible for Harris lose (if we're talking being coherent, presenting policy priorities, pointing out issues with her opponent, etc). However, as debates are actually about those things, despite what people try to fool themselves into thinking, they are about vibe. Harris needs to be aggressive, dominant over Trump, and supremely confident and about to answer questions with a 10-second, simple explanation.

Can she lose on that metric? Yes. I don't think it's likely based on how her campaign is being run (they seem very aware of how Trump has trapped Clinton and Biden in the past with fish galloping, etc), but it's possible.

Honestly I think as long as Harris doesn't seem "nasty" or too aloof, then she will be okay.

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

She needs to scramble to do interviews regardless of the outcome. And assuming it's the only debate which I think is likely, she needs to do town halls. She needs to put her face everywhere at every opportunity. If I can't drive up to a McDonalds and buy a soda cup with her face on it, she's not using her campaign funds correctly.

• True 3

44 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Its probably more important that they think the electorate nationally is going to be R+3 which is probably wrong, if anything i'm guessing it looks more like 2020 where it was D+1.

Also normal people haven’t started paying attention until about right now anyway

31 minutes ago, Best said:

How would we know Harris won the debate?

The right will have everyone thinking Trump won regardless in what happens. He'll do his normal name calling/attacking performance and the news media will eat it up for lunch. 

The same way everyone knew Obama lost to Romney in the first 2012 debate or more extremely how Biden lost his debate. Basically she says or does something that makes even Democrats cringe. 

From cbs:

NEW: VP Harris and Gov. Walz will barnstorm battleground states, following Tuesday’s presidential debate, kicking off their ‘New Way Forward’ tour.

Thursday: Harris in NC, Walz in MI. Friday: Harris in PA, Walz in MI, WI.

With this, the campaign is releasing their latest ad: “New Way Forward” set to air across battleground states and Nebraska.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Apparently Vance wears a shirt while in a swimming pool. 

Sadly my older brother wore a shirt in the pool all the time. Later we found out he was cutting himself in the chest area in high school because he was molested by a priest.

Not to take this in a weird direction but you just never know. 

• Hugs 3

6 minutes ago, Best said:

Sadly my older brother wore a shirt in the pool all the time. Later we found out he was cutting himself in the chest area in high school because he was molested by a priest.

Not to take this in a weird direction but you just never know. 

JD has some couch burns he's ashamed by.

She does need to start doing the media tour, I got holding back before the convention as they hammered out a  platform and got a campaign stood up for her instead of Biden.  But it's about time to sit down with the Sunday morning shows and get MSNBC to set up a town hall in Pennsylvania.

It feels like they're putting all their eggs in this Tuesday debate, which considering the stakes are a lot higher for Trump, may not be the best idea.

11 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

She does need to start doing the media tour, I got holding back before the convention as they hammered out a  platform and got a campaign stood up for her instead of Biden.  But it's about time to sit down with the Sunday morning shows and get MSNBC to set up a town hall in Pennsylvania.

It feels like they're putting all their eggs in this Tuesday debate, which considering the stakes are a lot higher for Trump, may not be the best idea.

She can't. She couldn't even do a softball interview without Tim with her. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Reputator said:

There's no reason she couldn't.

There is zero chance she could do a short form interview alone, let alone a long form interview like on Lex's show. She's reversed positions she had 4 years ago without any explanation. A real interview would press her on it. Her website STILL doesn't have any policies listed on it. 

3 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

There is zero chance she could do a short form interview alone, let alone a long form interview like on Lex's show. She's reversed positions she had 4 years ago without any explanation. A real interview would press her on it. Her website STILL doesn't have any policies listed on it. 

She was literally asked about her policy changes in the last interview. Obviously you didn't watch it. Her answer was satisfactory.

2 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

I guess the residual impacts of fracking got wildly better between the town hall interview and the primary debate stage in 2020!

Man, I thought you were going to talk about immigration or something voters actually care about.

Literally no one gives a shit about fracking.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

Man, I thought you were going to talk about immigration or something voters actually care about.

Literally no one gives a shit about fracking.

Voters in PA do, a lot. PA will most likely decide this election.