Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

9 hours ago, MarSolo said:

The fact that Joe Biden won the popular vote by 7 million votes but still could have lost via the Electoral College if 100,000 people across several states voted differently shows me this system just doesn’t work.

It would basically tell 7 million people their votes didn’t matter.

as a Texan that always vote democrat I always feel like my vote doesn’t count since none of the 34 electoral college votes represent me. But I will keep voting blue and just hope. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

1. president does an official action

2. president does an official action

3. president does an official action

thank you SCOTUS. Now we get shit done. 

29 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

When Republicans endorses Trump you call them cowards. When a Republican endorses Harris you call them a grifter.

You men are never happy.

Only good Republican is a dead Republican. 

• Guillotine 2
  • True 1

9 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

She’s a fucking grifter like all the rest 

Eh, much like Kinzinger, she gave up her political career to do the right thing and continues to speak up when necessary. Her politics on policy are typically awful and I’ll never agree with or even remotely like her, but I’ll give respect where and when it’s due. It would’ve much easier for her, and a much bigger and more profitable grift, for her to fall in line with the rest of her colleagues and keep her seat. She chose country over party, career, and politics.

• True 5
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Eh, much like Kinzinger, she gave up her political career to do the right thing and continues to speak up when necessary. Her politics on policy are typically awful and I’ll never agree with or even remotely like her, but I’ll give respect where and when it’s due. It would’ve much easier for her, and a much bigger and more profitable grift, for her to fall in line with the rest of her colleagues and keep her seat. She chose country over party, career, and politics.

This is sort of where I’m at with the anti-Trumper pols who essentially gave up their careers in the GOP, as well.  Yeah, maybe they’re profiting off of their new heterodox position in the conservative eco-system, but they still deserve props for giving up *actual* political power.  Just an appropriate dab of props—nothing more.

There are others I’m also willing to cut some slack in the interest of winning this particular war, because they have above-average insight into the fight against Trump, they don’t have a history of grift, and they seem to have authentically widened their belief systems to encompass a little more progressivism, (at least for now) despite their prior loyalties. Folks like Jonathan V. Last, Tim Miller and Sarah Longwell over at ‘The Bulwark’ for example.  I occasionally enjoy their commentary.

But like the the Western bloc fighting the Nazis alongside the Soviets in WW2, I foresee a resumption of hostilities after the common enemy is dispatched.  And there are still neocons at publications like The Bulwark I still simply can’t forgive for their Iraq transgressions and neoliberal excesses, aren’t insightful or interesting enough to be worth the effort of mercy, like Bill Kristol.

Just now, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

This is sort of where I’m at with the anti-Trumper pols who essentially gave up their careers in the GOP, as well.  Yeah, maybe they’re profiting off of their new position in the conservative eco-system, but they still deserve props for giving up *actual* political power.  Just an appropriate dab of props—nothing more.

There are others I’m also willing to cut some slack in the interest of winning this particular war, because they have above-average insight into the fight against Trump, they don’t have a history of grift, and they seem to have authentically widened their belief systems to encompass a little more progressivism, (at least for now) despite their prior loyalties. Folks like Jonathan V. Last, Tim Miller and Sarah Longwell over at ‘The Bulwark’ for example.

But like the the Western bloc fighting the Nazis alongside the Soviets in WW2, I foresee a resumption of hostilities after the common enemy is dispatched.  And there are still neocons at publications like The Bulwark I still simply can’t forgive for their Iraq transgressions and aren’t insightful or interesting enough to be worth the effort of mercy, like Bill Kristol.

I don’t give any props or respect to ones who only spoke out after they announced their retirement fwiw.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t give any props or respect to ones who only spoke out after they announced their retirement fwiw.

Agreed, you only get props for sacrificing the power of being a sitting politician—or a consistently re-elected one—not for uselessly pontificating during retirement.  You’re not really giving up much of anything in the latter case. (As I mentioned above there are a few exceptions I make for those who seem to have actually changed their way of thinking a bit—that’s harder than it sounds, tbh)

19 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

Your analogy makes no sense. If Trump is Hitler wouldn’t publicly opposing him and supporting his opponent make one, by definition, not a Nazi?

Or is it just that everyone you disagree with is a Nazi?

Im not saying the original comparison is great, but you could absolutely be a Nazi and hate Hitler.  It’s not like Nazism in purely about one man any more than MAGA bullshit is purely about Trump and will vanish when he does. 

22 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

Your analogy makes no sense. If Trump is Hitler wouldn’t publicly opposing him and supporting his opponent make one, by definition, not a Nazi?

Are the Nazi generals who tried to assassinate Hitler not Nazis? It’s entirely possible for someone to love the ideals and policies of something without liking the current leadership.

• True 2

32 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

Ironically, some of the users on this board treat political opinions as the "one drop rule".  They'd rather have a politically homogeneous party than be accepting of newcomers who don't pass the purity test.