Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

1 hour ago, Jason said:

She certainly hits on her points real

well but something still feels off about her speaking, not quite sure what it is… perhaps its that her speaking cadence and rhythm is too slow. Is it related to her past work as a prosecutor where she has to focus on her diction to get her questions and points across to jurors and/or people on the stand? Not quite sure but it doesnt come across as effortless..

41 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, after sleeping on it, I realized that the surprise guest probably should have been Anthony Hopkins in full character as Hannibal Lecter

Wheeled out strapped to the dolly, too.

7 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

She certainly hits on her points real well but something still feels off about her speaking, not quite sure what it is… perhaps its that her speaking cadence and rhythm is too slow. Is it related to her past work as a prosecutor where she has to focus on her diction to get her questions and points across to jurors and/or people on the stand? Not quite sure but it doesnt come across as effortless..

I'd agree that her speaking style isn't nearly as "natural" as that of Walz (I'm not even going to begin to compare it that of Bill Clinton or Barack Obama because that's just unfair) and I'm certain that you've probably very accurately identified her previous experience as a prosecutor as the reason.  It's important to note that there is a distinct difference between when she's speaking about more "personal" topics like her family where she's much more conversational and topics of a more "serious" nature where the style shifts into prosecutorial.

There's also the (unfortunate) reality that as a woman in a position of authority, she has to project a tougher persona in order to be taken "seriously" with the result that she's probably/definitely had a significant amount of vocal coaching to convey that authority in a manner that a man simply would not have to do.

• True 2

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

IMG-9509.jpg

I’ve come to respect the hell out of, and even like, Kinzinger, even though I doubt I’d ever agree with him on 90%+ of policies 

Just remind yourself he probably doesn't want trans people using public restrooms.

(I haven't looked this up but it's usually a given.)

9 hours ago, CayceG said:

Her mention of Gaza was, sadly, exactly what I expected. It was pretty start how she spoke of Israel in the active tense and switched to passive voice for what's being done to the Gazans. 

But again, what I expected. Hopefully she carries Michigan. 

I still maintain that it was an unnecessary, self-inflicted "own goal" to not allow the Georgia representative of Palestinian descent to deliver her quite innocuous, completely milquetoast speech to the convention floor as it would've at least given the barest fig leaf of balance.

• True 1

6 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Just remind yourself he probably doesn't want trans people using public restrooms.

(I haven't looked this up but it's usually a given.)

As I said:

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

even though I doubt I’d ever agree with him on 90%+ of policies 

He put country over party, and gave up his political career. It deserves at least some respect. Also, since Jan 6th 2021, he was one of the only Republicans to vote “yes” on bills for LGBTQ+ bills alongside Democrats.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

As I said:

He put country over party, and gave up his political career. It deserves at least some respect. Also, since Jan 6th 2021, he was one of the only Republicans to vote “yes” on bills for LGBTQ+ bills alongside Democrats.

I guess he really is one of the few good guys then. 

5 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I guess he really is one of the few good guys then. 

Don’t get me wrong, his policies and political beliefs generally suck, but his disdain for the current Republican Party, and providing such disdain without saying “hey, I’m retiring and won’t be seeking reelection” before doing so, is refreshing. He threw his seat away to investigate Jan 6th and Trump along with Liz Cheney.

• Halal 1

WWW.REUTERS.COM

“Harris speech fails to win over critics in Democrats' biggest rift, Gaza”

Look, I have all kinds of opinions on this subject that come down to I’m not qualified to have an opinion, but these people are shooting themselves in the feet if they abandon Harris.

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Imagine if Latinos protested Harris right now because of a border bill/wanting to secure the border talk.

That's not really a comparable situation as the polling data is that a strong -- perhaps even draconian -- border security initiative is exactly what a plurality of Latino voters want.