Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The optics of the most popular white woman in the world sucking the oxygen out of the room -- and through no fault of her own, she would -- prior to the POC presidential nominee aren't great by any stretch of the imagination.

I think you guys are thinking about it too much

• True 1

By that logic she could never have appeared at the DNC. Would it have been better to upstage Oprah yesterday? Would it have been better to upstage the Obamas the day before? Would anyone care to listen to Biden after her appearance on the first night?

Guess the risk of her throwing her support behind a Democratic candidate upsetting a few people is just too great.

8 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I think you guys are thinking about it too much

My friend, the entirety of the post-convention media coverage will be about Swift and not Harris.  Harris would be reduced to little more than a footnote.

You know it, I know it, and you can be damned sure that the party knows it.

• True 3

2 minutes ago, Reputator said:

By that logic she could never have appeared at the DNC. 

That's absolutely correct - she could never have appeared at the DNC, and I doubt that it was even a serious consideration for anyone at all.

Swift's endorsement -- if she even gives it -- would be more useful in September or October.  It would give the necessary "celebrity buzz" for the home stretch.

• True 2

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Swift's endorsement -- if she even gives it -- would be more useful in September or October.  It would give the necessary "celebrity buzz" for the home stretch.

Now this, I agree with. The rest comes across as eternal loser syndrome, always thinking of a way to turn something good into something bad, to overthink and ouroboros ourselves into dust by wasting opportunities in order to dodge imagined slights, a dem specialty.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The Dixie Chicks and Lady Antebellum renamed themselves due to their names being so closely linked with racism. 

But in the latter's instance there was already a black artist who'd already been using the name Lady A for ages, and then when they found out they tried to sue her into dropping the name. So still very racist. 

5 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Is there an appropriate time and place to play that song now?  The original was about Vietnam vets, so...I dunno

The themes of the song are very much "evergreen" and can exist outside the context of Vietnam veterans, such as Afghanistan/Iraq veterans. 

Hell, all you have to do is substitute a few words (use "brown man" instead of "yellow man") and you've fully updated it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

We really, really should change the national anthem to "America the Beautiful".

It's such a more beautiful, poignant song than the "Star-Spangled Banner".

“Battle Hymn of the Republic”

Nothing goes harder than “as he died to make men holy let us live to make men free.”

• stepee 1
  • True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

Just now, thewhyteboar said:

“Battle Hymn of the Republic”

Nothing goes harder than “as he died to make men holy let us live to make men free.”

OH GOD YES!

It's interesting that the songs that you and I prefer are inherently much more overtly religious than the Star-Spangled Banner!