Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

I’m going to once again reiterate my complaint that the keynote speeches are happening way too damn late.  Walz’s speech was amazing and a ton of people on the East Coast that might have been on the margins of being interested probably went to bed before watching it.  If Kamala speaks at 10pm ct, midnight et, it’ll be the same.  

And yes, people can rewatch it on YouTube, but the marginally attached swing voters whose votes we need don’t go on YouTube to watch political speeches, they go on to watch cat videos and other mindless pleasures.

Shorten the damn speeches and get Harris out there at an 8:30ct sweet spot.

• Halal 2

Taylor Swift is so influential she convinced millions of her fans that the completely normal situation of music artists not owning their recordings was a sinister campaign against her specifically, leading to hundreds of millions of dollars in re-purchasing new recordings of the same albums they already owned. This move was so successful that it is pretty well reshaping how artists view negotiations for the rights to their own masters moving forward, knowing public sentiment is on the side of the artists.

Who knows whether her words will get people to the ballot box, but it can’t hurt.

• True 3
  • Hype 1

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This entire ludicrous discussiom makes me so very glad that I simply cannot differentiate between "good" and "bad" music at all.

I naturally have preferences, but when it comes to actual quality, all music is essentially functionally identical to me.

Listen to me sing and you will know just how far down the quality floor goes.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Things like this just show how much of a bubble there is for certain things.  Saying Taylor Swift has baseline competence is like saying Bryce Young is a terrible quarterback.  No he isn’t, he’s the worst quarterback out of the 32 best quarterbacks in the entire world.

You want to see baseline competent musicians, drag your ass to some crunchy local battle of the bands and you will see people who can play the guitar in the same way that I can throw a Hail Mary.  The ball mostly spirals and moves forward, but that’s about it.  

Anybody that knows four chords (and their least inventive voicings and progressions) and can sing a standard fare happy occidental melody in a mid range could do what Swift does with her army of producers and songwriters. If “good” is popular, sure, she’s good. But she has not in any way pushed the envelope musically or done anything inventive with song structure, melody, or voicing. That’s what I mean by “good”. But your definition of bad is somebody who’s not actually a musician so I guess this is all making sense now. 

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Anybody that knows four chords (and their least inventive voicings and progressions) and can sing a standard fare happy occidental melody in a mid range could do what Swift does with her army of producers and songwriters.

You say that, but instead someone chose to make Dave Matthews Band.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This entire ludicrous discussiom makes me so very glad that I simply cannot differentiate between "good" and "bad" music at all.

I naturally have preferences, but when it comes to actual quality, all music is essentially functionally identical to me.

Sounds like it’s maybe time you learn the joy of math rock.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

good entertainer ≠ good musician 

Yeah that’s what I’m trying to differentiate here. I think she’s a great showman and great business person. I don’t know much about either of those things. I do know a metric fuckton about music theory, history, and production though. So I will always opine quite confidently in that regard. 

3 minutes ago, Comet said:

Not liking Swift has nothing to do with not wanting her to come guns ablazing at the DNC due to her insane influence. Not sure why that became such a weird concept here. 

We're a bunch of old men, it's what we do.

50 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

But imagine how excited you’d be if the special guest was Sabaton and they started playing Primo Victoria