Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

If people who aren't already firmly in the Trump camp, the "independents", the "undecideds" and those who "don't follow politics", do vote Trump in the year of our Lord 2024, then we get everything we deserve because the facts are obvious at this point about how bad Trump is and will be if elected again and enough Americans vote for him anyway? I mean, that's how a democratic republic works, it's just us destroying ourselves because people are stupid. 

I'm hoping this will not be the case and those groups of people see that even a dead Biden sitting in a chair in the Oval Office is better than Trump. Anything is better than Trump. Pizza rat running the country would be better than Trump. If enough Americans can't see that and don't get that, well, it's on them isn't it? Unless Biden wins the popular vote and the Electoral College goes the other way (like in 2016), then it's on all the states that went red. Again, all that matters are the swing states because we already know which states are definitely going blue and which states are definitely going red, it's the ones we're unsure about that matter because, as I keep hammering on about it, it's all about the EC. Sad but true, so that's where our focus (and worry) should be aimed at when discussing if Biden can win or not. This is a year old but helpful for anyone curious or interested. Biden has to go after these states hard. One (of many) interesting facts this puts out is that whoever wins both Nevada and Ohio in an election wins the whole thing 89% of the time since 1988. Biden c'mon let's go.

USAFACTS.ORG

Seven states were won by less than three percentage points in the 2020 presidential election. This includes Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

The right is simply better at spreading their bullshit to create a false equivalency narrative of "both sides bad", such that ignorant information gets spread through the masses like osmosis. The strategy is so effective it also galvanizes conversative into believing nonsense like Trump's felony convictions don't matter to them because Biden wrecked the economy. 

Things like every member of Trump's administration, now including Trump himself, has been convicted of crimes, yet I bet more people believe Hunter is more dangerous to this country.

• True 1

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The right is simply better at spreading their bullshit to create a false equivalency narrative of "both sides bad", such that ignorant information gets spread through the masses like osmosis. The strategy is so effective it also galvanizes conversative into believing nonsense like Trump's felony convictions don't matter to them because Biden wrecked the economy. 

Things like every member of Trump's administration, now including Trump himself, has been convicted of crimes, yet I bet more people believe Hunter is more dangerous to this country.

This is all absolutely true but with 9+ years of direct evidence of Trump being terrible for the country in such an aggressive and blatant way that's never been seen before in a candidate, one would think/hope that by now the undecideds/uninformed should know better. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is all absolutely true but with 9+ years of direct evidence of Trump being terrible for the country in such an aggressive and blatant way that's never been seen before in a candidate, one would think/hope that by now the undecideds/uninformed should know better. 

The right has spent half a century constructing this worldview of anti intellectualism and eroding of democratic norms and guardrails 

we are too far gone 

• True 1

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

The right has spent half a century constructing this worldview of anti intellectualism and eroding of democratic norms and guardrails 

we are too far gone 

It would appear so but I do need to remind everyone I'm emphasizing the undecided, the uninformed and the independents, not the cult of people that have fully bought in to Trump. For them specifically, I would think all the stuff that reaches them about Trump is bad news about him so why in any world would these people vote Trump over Biden or even consider it given the 9+ years of info we have of Trump being a blatantly horrible human being time and time again? Are these secret Trumpers who love that cruelty is the point and just want to tell people they're independent or something? This is where I'm confused.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It would appear so but I do need to remind everyone I'm emphasizing the undecided, the uninformed and the independents, not the cult of people that have fully bought in to Trump. For them specifically, I would think all the stuff that reaches them about Trump is bad news about him so why in any world would these people vote Trump over Biden or even consider it given the 9+ years of info we have of Trump being a blatantly horrible human being time and time again? Are these secret Trumpers who love that cruelty is the point and just want to tell people they're independent or something? This is where I'm confused.

It's not just the cult that has bought into this though. We see it with the politically non engaged who always "both sides" political discourse, and it doesn't help that for years that wasn't far from the truth with neo-liberalism being the true party of the state. Again are we to believe that every member of congress is a better investor than Buffett? But those views infested mainstream political thought and discourse in this nation to such a degree where you hear it all the time, so when the very real corruption and political maleficence that has existed since Regan, wrote in piss you fuck, is combined with the overall apathy that they have been able to create with this rhetoric we get the foundation for the current state of American politics. Add in the American selfishness to where if it doesn't personally affect them they don't give a shit, their inability to see global reach, and the current focus on culture war over policy with our historical failing off over valuing rural communities in the electorate things like lifting millions of children out of poverty ends up not mattering cause a trans swimmer exists and eggs were super expensive.

They've controlled the narrative for years, we gave them the control, and now we're paying for it.

Also because Hillary ran a shit ass campaign.

• Halal 1

35 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Gladiator GIF

• Haha 1

We should state the obvious:

The media likes Republicans and want them to win. Biden, for all his faults, committed the gravest sin of all presidents: he's BORING. They want Trump back so badly because boring is bad for ratings and Trump's insanity brought them ratings.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Best said:

It's extremely sad what America witnessed on Thursday night. Holy fuckin shit. 

Blame the IDIOTS who voted for Trump in 2016. We would be ending Hill Dawgs second term now and no way in hell would either of these people be the candidates. 

Not to mention that Soctus thread would even need to exist then. But some real brain dead morons thought Trump would be the best pick even still.

So it looks as though Biden isn't budging as the nominee. His performance at a rally the following day after the debate was so much better. I have no idea wtf happened on Thursday. He looked so dazed and confused. He was really pale looking too. 

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

You said a lot. Which post? :p 

On 6/27/2024 at 10:56 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

It's easy for one guy to look better than the other guy when one guy can say whatever he wants and the other guy is sick, has to use his brains to answer the questions, and the debate is scheduled at 9pm at night.

On 6/28/2024 at 11:25 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Like I said. Don't hold the debates at bedtime. He's got more energy at 10 in the morning.

But I take it all back, @Kal-El814 saw the most important thing

23 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They don't latino who to vote for.

Respect Reaction GIF

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

It's not just the cult that has bought into this though. We see it with the politically non engaged who always "both sides" political discourse, and it doesn't help that for years that wasn't far from the truth with neo-liberalism being the true party of the state. Again are we to believe that every member of congress is a better investor than Buffett? But those views infested mainstream political thought and discourse in this nation to such a degree where you hear it all the time, so when the very real corruption and political maleficence that has existed since Regan, wrote in piss you fuck, is combined with the overall apathy that they have been able to create with this rhetoric we get the foundation for the current state of American politics. Add in the American selfishness to where if it doesn't personally affect them they don't give a shit, their inability to see global reach, and the current focus on culture war over policy with our historical failing off over valuing rural communities in the electorate things like lifting millions of children out of poverty ends up not mattering cause a trans swimmer exists and eggs were super expensive.

They've controlled the narrative for years, we gave them the control, and now we're paying for it.

Also because Hillary ran a shit ass campaign.

I call it the 'paradox of political cynicism'.  It hinges on the fact that the political cynic's view of the world is, from a technical perspective, the most accurate view--yes, politics and politicians are generally corrupt in nature, and, yes, most political figures are doing something shady somewhere.

The problem is that, from a practical perspective, political cynicism is the worst view to use as a guide to political action and discourse, and will in fact end up producing the various bad political outcomes that give rise to it in the first place.

I think that we're watching this paradox essentially overtake Western culture.  Part of it is technologically driven--now that everything is so networked, it is very difficult to hide the shady stuff done by people in power--and the other part of it is that since the end of the Cold War, the West generally,  and especially America, feels like it can afford to be cynical,  since it has no true external enemies that it believes pose an existential threat to itself.

It's only when you're comfortable and not in a fight for your life against an adversary that the idea of being 'above it all and against it all' has mass appeal.  Otherwise you're too busy working your ass off to survive.  

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2024 National GE Atlast Intel A+: Trump 46% (+6) Biden 40% Kennedy 10% West 1% Stein 1%

Among Age 18-29: Trump 42% (+14) Kennedy 28% Biden 27% West 2% Stein 1%

Mostly done before the debate, so not great, its also becoming clear that Kennedy is siphoning Biden's voters.

Biden's campaign sent this out to "prove" hes the best candidate to take on Trump, except it shows people are more willing to jump from Trump when the Dem candidate is less known to them, despite that they're all roughly even.  Unless Biden really was just not feeling well that night, theres more upside to switching candidates at this point, especially given all the leaks from his aides that hes really not all there all the time, and it wasn't just a one off.

GRSl8XKXUAAauqV?format=jpg&name=medium

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

2024 National GE Atlast Intel A+: Trump 46% (+6) Biden 40% Kennedy 10% West 1% Stein 1%

Among Age 18-29: Trump 42% (+14) Kennedy 28% Biden 27% West 2% Stein 1%

Mostly done before the debate, so not great, its also becoming clear that Kennedy is siphoning Biden's voters.

There is no fucking universe in which Kennedy is getting 28% of the vote from any cohort 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1