Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

My grandmother died on New Year's Day.  That should have clued my in that 2024 was going to be the worst fucking year of my life.

Lost mine a couple of days before Easter and it's all been downhill from there prepare for the worst </3

• Hugs 2

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Of course, it's just our "luck" that Biden is doing a rally in North Carolina right now and apparently he's sounding just fine.

The debate last night was probably past his bedtime. A guy his age probably isn’t at the top of his game at 9pm. 

I see a lot of dooming in here when it's not even July yet. It was one debate, there's still a lot of election left to go. I don't really care about how the debate went, I care far, far more about this problem. In narrow popular vote losses, because the Electoral College is built in Republicans' favor, they have a 65% chance of winning the election as a result. That means the Democrats are handicapped and have to work twice as hard to overcome the inherent statistical deficit they have in the Electoral College in terms of literal votes. Overcoming those odds is all that matters, the popular vote is pointless if each state overall doesn't go blue (obviously that's determined by the popular vote but we know which states aren't going blue, so we need to focus on purple states/swing states). This is the real issue, this unfair advantage using this stupid system. Trump can lose the popular vote, like he has twice already, but he will still have a statistical advantage with the Electoral College, which really picks the president. 

WWW.VOX.COM

In close elections, Republicans are favored to win even when they lose the popular vote.

If we managed to win this election the national Democratic apparatus needs to force state and local Dems to drop the NIMBY bullshit. Housing costs are the main inflation driver now and that's mostly from making it illegal to build enough housing where people want to live. It would also offset the issues with the electoral college if California and New York got millions of new residents and thus more EVs.

• Halal 3

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

If we managed to win this election the national Democratic apparatus needs to force state and local Dems to drop the NIMBY bullshit. Housing costs are the main inflation driver now and that's mostly from making it illegal to build enough housing where people want to live. It would also offset the issues with the electoral college if California and New York got millions of new residents and thus more EVs.

It'll be an open Democratic primary in the next election, let's get someone fucking young and smart who cares (a high bar, I know). We just have to get past this fucking guy one more time and we're done with this guy, Trump will be too old in 2028 and even if he isn't, presumably we'll get someone young to wipe the floor with him and not someone like Biden. It's just this time so we can get to that open primary in 2028 because the Republicans have no one after Trump, we should win every election henceforth if even decent candidates show up. Some of Trump's cult may start following other, weaker grifters in time but they'll be splintered. This will be the last time for awhile at least, c'mon America, one more time. One. More. Time. 

We'll see how this ends up playing out. In the end it matters most in if it sways any undecided voters and in if it effects turnout for one group more than another. From what I've seen, the undecideds seem to be primarily among those who don't pay attention to nearly any news at all. If you're a person who doesn't consume any news and you watched this debate, I don't know what your takeaways are. I think it played pretty hard into the pre-existing narratives for both candidates (old vs horrible), but it's honestly hard to role play as someone with so few existing priors that you haven't already made a decision here.

It probably isn't the end of the world, but think it's pretty clearly not been good for Biden.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Upzone. 

MMH-diagram-w-labels-and-caption-high-re

This is a root cause of a lot of issues.

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Upzone. 

MMH-diagram-w-labels-and-caption-high-re

This is a root cause of a lot of issues.

Yes although in places like Los Angeles we're gonna need skyscrapers, not just missing middle. 

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Editorial Board of the New York Times has called for Biden to end his candidacy.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The president’s inadequate performance in the debate made it clear he is not the man he was four years ago.

I mean, fuck the NY Times

• stepee 2
  • Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Editorial Board of the New York Times has called for Biden to end his candidacy.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The president’s inadequate performance in the debate made it clear he is not the man he was four years ago.

With Project 2025 all laid out in its horrid glory, stuff like this really isn't helping anything at all.  This isn't their first campaign, it's too late to send up another contender and Trump 2 won't start off by having Jared Googling what jobs they need to fill.

• Halal 2

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I see a lot of dooming in here when it's not even July yet. It was one debate, there's still a lot of election left to go. I don't really care about how the debate went, I care far, far more about this problem. In narrow popular vote losses, because the Electoral College is built in Republicans' favor, they have a 65% chance of winning the election as a result. That means the Democrats are handicapped and have to work twice as hard to overcome the inherent statistical deficit they have in the Electoral College in terms of literal votes. Overcoming those odds is all that matters, the popular vote is pointless if each state overall doesn't go blue (obviously that's determined by the popular vote but we know which states aren't going blue, so we need to focus on purple states/swing states). This is the real issue, this unfair advantage using this stupid system. Trump can lose the popular vote, like he has twice already, but he will still have a statistical advantage with the Electoral College, which really picks the president. 

WWW.VOX.COM

In close elections, Republicans are favored to win even when they lose the popular vote.

I'm just feeling pretty doomed in general but Biden's speech in NC was really good at least.

• Hype 1

47 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

It's so transparent that they didn't do something like this after Trump got 34 felony convictions.

• True 2
  • Halal 2

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

I’m eagerly awaiting “To Serve His Country, Former President Trump Should Leave The Race”

I imagine that will be getting printed any day now.

• Halal 1
  • Wrong 1

2 minutes ago, Reputator said:

NYT wants those sweet sweet tax breaks.

Those tax breaks will serve them well after Lord Inquisitoner Stephen Miller executes them. 

• stepee 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, finaljedi said:

With Project 2025 all laid out in its horrid glory, stuff like this really isn't helping anything at all.  This isn't their first campaign, it's too late to send up another contender and Trump 2 won't start off by having Jared Googling what jobs they need to fill.

Why isn't there enough time? The Brits are holding an unplanned General Election with 6 weeks notice. The day after their election the new PM will be in. This notion we need a 2 year primary/election process and a 2 and a half month transition is crazy. Whoever comes out of an open convention will inherit the entire Biden Team that's already going strong. The entire campaign until November would be voters getting to know some wholesome Midwest Governor and remembering why Trump is crazy. 

9 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Why isn't there enough time? The Brits are holding an unplanned General Election with 6 weeks notice. The day after their election the new PM will be in. This notion we need a 2 year primary/election process and a 2 and a half month transition is crazy. Whoever comes out of an open convention will inherit the entire Biden Team that's already going strong. The entire campaign until November would be voters getting to know some wholesome Midwest Governor and remembering why Trump is crazy. 

Follow the money 

16 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Two obvious ones: state ballot access laws. Unless the nominee is Harris all the money has to go back to the donors and can't be transferred to the new candidate. 

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Two obvious ones: state ballot access laws. Unless the nominee is Harris all the money has to go back to the donors and can't be transferred to the new candidate. 

It's not a campaign donation, just a steakhouse gift card

12 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I'm going to try and take a break from this board and social media, as least for posting.  I feel like the last two weeks have broken me.

Nothing wrong with a break! That last post of yours got me worried. Better yourself, find something you love to do, and remember that there are things you can control right around you. 

You have four months until the election. Think about yourself for now.

• True 1
  • Halal 1