Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

2 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

If we start seeing more +6 that is *huge*—I believe Silver said +2 in the popular vote is not a margin that indicates a particularly solid EC edge.  (although his own model has Harris up in the victory odds rn)

I think she needs to do at least one sit-down interview soon, though.  I get the sense that that’s where Trump and the right will begin to hammer her next.  She needs to prove she can produce more than word salad when questioned on the issues, especially if Trump chickens out of debate #2.  She’s got an uneven record there—her post-Biden-debate-implosion interview was quite good, but she kind of imploded a bit herself the last time she was pressed on the border issue by an interviewer on the air.

And I hope she keeps shouting “we’re the underdog” at every rally from here to Election Day, even if she’s up 20 points in November.  We all know the Orange monsters bred by Dem complacency lol.

While obviously there were a lot of factors at play I will always believe the main reason Trump managed to win in 2016 was because no one really thought he could.

Hillary's flameout in the Blue Wall was about voters "sending a message" to the Democratic party because they thought it was a message they could afford sending.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

These are the couches in the Oval Office BTWOval-1-articleLarge.jpg
*JD Vance intensifies*

Imagine an international crisis happens and you are summoned to the Oval Office to advise the president on decisions that could change the world.

The president asks for opinions on whether or not he should launch the missiles and it is at that moment that you realize you are sitting in J.D. Vance's wet spot.

4 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Imagine an international crisis happens and you are summoned to the Oval Office to advise the president on decisions that could change the world.

The president asks for opinions on whether or not he should launch the missiles and it is at that moment that you realize you are sitting in J.D. Vance's wet spot.

If JD Vance gets in the White House I’d expect a black light would make the couches in the Oval Office glow in a way that hasn’t been seen since Clinton.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

I know this is counting a lot of chickens before they hatch, but imagine if Kamala wins a second term. It will go down as the Biden/Harris era and be seen maybe as the most successful presidential run Dems had since FDR.

And we have seen the state of GOP politics....if we can just get through this election I like her chances against whatever empty suit doing a second rate Trump impression that they can field against her....

In that scenario Joe should, and I think will, be seen in a very positive light.

As much as I like the idea of a New Deal-style decade-long electoral dominance by the Dems, I'm actually with Buttigieg on this one--I think it would be better if the fall of MAGA just gives us a saner GOP.

Every election shouldn't be a choice between fascism and liberal democracy.  We should be picking between two alternative, semi-reasonable liberal-democratic visions of the country.

Whether that's possible in an era where polarization only ever seems to get worse is the generational question. (obviously the answer so far has been a definite 'no')

And re:2016 I would say that the ineptitude of Clinton's campaign should be added to the factors you mentioned.  It made several terrible strategic choices, and it did a poor job of leveraging a superior ground game infrastructure.

2 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

As much as I like the idea of a New Deal-style decade-long electoral dominance by the Dems, I'm actually with Buttigieg on this one--I think it would be better if the fall of MAGA just gives us a saner GOP.

Every election shouldn't be a choice between fascism and liberal democracy.  We should be picking between two alternative, semi-reasonable liberal-democratic visions of the country.

Whether that's possible in an era where polarization only ever seems to get worse is the generational question. (obviously the answer so far has been a definite 'no')

And re:2016 I would say that the ineptitude of Clinton's campaign should be added to the factors you mentioned.  It made several terrible strategic choices, and it did a poor job of leveraging a superior ground game infrastructure.

While I generally agree with this I'd like to point out that Thomas and Alito, the two most insane justices came from Bush Sr and W. Trumps justices are actually a step up from them. 

• Halal 1

It seems the gop implodes completely without Trump at this point, they rebranded the entire party around him and Maga doesn't see themselves as Republicans.  Polling seems to confirm that, given the split were seeing between president and congressional polling, they will not be going back to the days of Romney and McCain. 

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

It seems the gop implodes completely without Trump at this point, they rebranded the entire party around him and Maga doesn't see themselves as Republicans.  Polling seems to confirm that, given the split were seeing between president and congressional polling, they will not be going back to the days of Romney and McCain. 

I've said that since fuckiing 2017; when Trump is gone the GOP has no replacement. The JD Vances, Desantis and Gaetz don't have the same appeal. 

10 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I mostly agree with this, but I also don't think there's really much of a choice.

Even the good ending here for Republicans is a long hangover, I think. Liz Cheney and Adam Kissinger do not take over the party in January of '25.

What I forsee is a pretty long, miserable road to wrest control of the party from Trump.

Trump will never want to admit the party is over, and Republicans will be split between the reality that they can't run Trump again and the fact that a Republican party under President Harris *crosses fingers* probably isn't going to be very popular, either.

I mean, we saw something very similar after 2020. Where the collective cowardice of many Republicans taking the path of least resistance allowed Trump to reassert control over the party.

Yes, Trump's leverage would vastly decrease with a loss in November, but there will definitely still be juice to be squeezed from Donald Trump: Elder Statesman :lol: 

And after 2020 I have very little confidence in the Republican Party being able to stand up to him. Even sitting in the ruins of the party her burned down.

And that is even assuming Trump accepts that he can't run again....which probably isn't a safe bet on a guy who would hit on 20.

As much as they're always long-term losers, Republicans (at least these new ones) really hate supporting losers. Trump already lost once, and I think it damaged his appeal and reach greatly. If he loses again, it's going to get more than a small portion of the party to fucking hate his guts.

I think the post Trump GOP will also have to deal with the Baby Trumps.  The remora fish that have been latched onto Trump who figure it's their time, Desantis, Vance, others.  It's odd now because usually an incumbent loser is banished to the phantom zone, they move past them to a winner, but the GOP can't shake Trump because they went all in on becoming the Trump party.  He never once convinced more Americans to vote for him for President and he's their guy for round 3.

There's also the fact that if Trump loses and wants to run again in 2028, there isn't anyone to stop him.  Even if he's full blown senile by then and talks about how he just met with Governor Mario Cuomo and he endorses his bid for President, no one will be able to shove him out.  An inexplicably popular bunch of Kick streamers will call it a based troll of the libs.

• Halal 1

Republicans have been losing in blue states for decades and haven’t changed locally there or even really in swing states. You’d expect any sane alternatives there to come forward first but the thing is when they do get a winner (Arnold in CA, Baker in MA, Hogan in MD, hell even dewine in OH) the party rank and file hate them because they’re not insane. They’ll hitch themselves to a winner but will hate it because they’re not some daily wire junkie

13 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I think the post Trump GOP will also have to deal with the Baby Trumps.  The remora fish that have been latched onto Trump who figure it's their time, Desantis, Vance, others.  It's odd now because usually an incumbent loser is banished to the phantom zone, they move past them to a winner, but the GOP can't shake Trump because they went all in on becoming the Trump party.  He never once convinced more Americans to vote for him for President and he's their guy for round 3.

There's also the fact that if Trump loses and wants to run again in 2028, there isn't anyone to stop him.  Even if he's full blown senile by then and talks about how he just met with Governor Mario Cuomo and he endorses his bid for President, no one will be able to shove him out.  An inexplicably popular bunch of Kick streamers will call it a based troll of the libs.

Round 5 if you count 2018 and 2022.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Montana poll by Emerson (B+), Aug 5-6

🟥 Donald Trump 55%

🟦 Kamala Harris 40%

Last poll: Trump +21 in March vs Biden

🟥 Tim Sheehy 48%

🟦 Jon Tester 46%

Last poll: Tester +2 in March

Statistical tie for senate and has been, but a good example of the bump that Kamala is giving

45 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Does he used canned laughs and applause? I swear the audience reacts a little too quickly and stops a little too quickly, giving the entire thing a very strange energy. Or maybe I'm just used to the prolonged laughter of 80s sitcoms.

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Does he used canned laughs and applause? I swear the audience reacts a little too quickly and stops a little too quickly, giving the entire thing a very strange energy. Or maybe I'm just used to the prolonged laughter of 80s sitcoms.

It's a live audience. 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

It's a live audience. 

Huh. Maybe just weird vibes I'm not used to. RFK Jr. seems like kind of a piece of shit, though! Those people talking about him being honest and then just incredibly insidious lies.

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

he’s literally “Krusty” the clown.

happy season 4 GIF

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

New add targeting Latinos from the Harris campaign. Will run in both English and Spanish. Focuses on her being the kid of immigrants, and rising to potentially President in a single generation based on their determination:

Now she's Mexican, too?! Trump's gonna have the longest Truthweet ever on this one!

• stepee 1

So Trump is going a "general" press interview at 2pm today, likely because he keeps saying that Harris is refusing to take questions from the press, and he thinks this will frame him as the more open candidate. However, it's also likely because he is frustraited with his flailing campaign. His former press secretary says:

0wXOIOs.png

• Haha 2
  • Sicko Sherman 2

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

So Trump is going a "general" press interview at 2pm today, likely because he keeps saying that Harris is refusing to take questions from the press, and he thinks this will frame him as the more open candidate. However, it's also likely because he is frustraited with his flailing campaign. His former press secretary says:

0wXOIOs.png

We're getting the N word!

• Haha 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hype 2

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

New add targeting Latinos from the Harris campaign. Will run in both English and Spanish. Focuses on her being the kid of immigrants, and rising to potentially President in a single generation based on their determination:

I hear the music of my gente and I get hyped 

Does the “basement campaign” attack work for anyone that isn’t already on the Trump boat?  Does anyone out there actually care?  It’s not like Trump is out here doing press conferences with anyone who won’t openly fellate him and the rare times it does he just bitches that people are mean to him.

5 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Does the “basement campaign” attack work for anyone that isn’t already on the Trump boat?  Does anyone out there actually care?  It’s not like Trump is out here doing press conferences with anyone who won’t openly fellate him and the rare times it does he just bitches that people are mean to him.

I don't think it will be particularly effective if Harris is always being covered at these big rallies, as most people will see that and think "oh she's traveling around meeting people."