Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

4 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Oh shit, you are right. I am not sure when the cutoff is exactly, but I have heard it's coming up soon.

It would be hilarious is Vance decided to big dog Trump exactly for this reason and basically daring him to try to drop him....

Prior to Harris picking Walz: 

"In order to be on the ballot in all 50 states, we have to have all of this wrapped up by August 7. So, if the nominee so chooses...we will likely have our VP nominee also by August 7," Harrison said.

9 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Walz should be more clear about his military service.  He served with honor for 24 years, and is(technically) a combat veteran, but not on the same level as those who actually served on the front line. 

I could claim, legally and technically, that I too am a combat veteran.  I served in a combat zone for both Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.  But I don't feel like I truly am a combat veteran because I was always hundreds of miles away from where the actual shooting was taking place, and I never even handled a weapon during my time in the middle east. 

I am proud of my service, and Walz should as well.  Even Vance should feel good about his own time in the Marines, even if it was in a non-combat role.  

Vance was a fobbit so he should definitely be shutting the fuck up about “combat veteran” as we are both aware of the pecking order. I’m technically a combat veteran, but that meant I dealt with shoot and scoots and we lobbed heat rounds at fixed targets. I wasn’t OIF 1 and was never in a prolonged standup fight so I don’t consider myself to be a true two way gun range vet. Couch fucker never left the wire on any true combat missions so I don’t consider him one either so he should definitely not be shining a light on his public affairs military service.

But frankly, those types of veterans can be completely ignored anyway. If you honestly care about that shit you missed the point. Go back far enough nobody is a true veteran since the bulge. 

Reading different perspectives from military people on this issue makes it clear that there is an entire subculture to the various military branches that I have no meaningful grasp of.

Apparently this has been an issue amongst some of his retired military constituents for more than a decade.

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Reading different perspectives from military people on this issue makes it clear that there is an entire subculture to the various military branches that I have no meaningful grasp of.

Apparently this has been an issue amongst some of his retired military constituents for more than a decade.

Vet bros can be ignored; I’ve always thought the dick measuring was dumb and the dudes who really care about this, cause it’s never a girl, are typically the types who were, like Vance, fobbits who never did any door kicking shit anyway.

those dudes are humble af in my experience and only talked about their service to others who also did it/as teaching to boots like me who were gonna follow in their steps.

I enlisted 07, every single DI and instructor from SOI to tank school were combat vets.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

those dudes are humble af in my experience

This reminded me of when we get asked about military discounts, it’s almost 100% of the time the spouse/SO of the military member asking. The people who served don’t seem to ever ask and often seem annoyed that their person is 😂

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This reminded me of when we get asked about military discounts, it’s almost 100% of the time the spouse/SO of the military member asking. The people who served don’t seem to ever ask and often seem annoyed that their person is 😂

I have never asked and I may or may not have yelled at a partner once when she asked like bitch stfu I didn’t enlist for 10% off of bww 

• Haha 1

This just kind of reminds me of my dad. I never thought of him as a veteran because he never really talked about it. He told a story or two on occasion, but they weren't really war stories. More like being stationed in the south and people giving him shit or something. But eventually he would ask for veteran's discount at home depot and I always thought he was just saying it to see if he would get it. Then after he passed away I found out he actually served in the Korean War. I'm not sure what he did, I think it was on comms or something. I have his army boots and machete around here somewhere though. Just interesting to think. It was never something he ever bragged or talked about compared to today now it's become a pissing contest for some people.

spacer.png

• stepee 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 5
  • Hype 1

52 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Vet bros can be ignored; I’ve always thought the dick measuring was dumb and the dudes who really care about this, cause it’s never a girl, are typically the types who were, like Vance, fobbits who never did any door kicking shit anyway.

those dudes are humble af in my experience and only talked about their service to others who also did it/as teaching to boots like me who were gonna follow in their steps.

I enlisted 07, every single DI and instructor from SOI to tank school were combat vets.

My uncle served in Nam. Never talks about it and I've never asked him about it.  But he was in the shit. 

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

General Election Poll

Harris 53% (+6) Trump 47%

MULaw #A+ - 879 RV - 8/1

This is all wrong. I haven't even heard the phrase "there's no mechanism" in months. What happened?!

• Hype 1

Last night I was outside smoking some h4cbd before bed around 11:30pm and two londoners got into a spat (i believe one got too close to the other in line?) - One was a smaller guy in a business suit that reminded me of the boss from the IT Crowd and the other was a much larger bloke dressed in street clothes.

Their argument continued right in front of where I was sitting and the the guy in the business suit got up real close to street clothes as if he would do something, street clothes tells him to back off, business suit inches closer.

That is when street clothes smacks the other guys hot dog out of his hands and it goes flying onto the street as he tells business suit “try me, try me!” to which business clothes responds to by staring down befuddled at his late night meal laying sadly on the cold London pavement.

Then he stands there hesitating back and forth for a bit to the tune of “try me! try me!” still coming from street clothes in the distance before retreating back to the hot dog stand to complain to the owner to ask for another hot dog at a discount.

Reminds me a lot of what is happening here and I just love when people have their bluff so thoroughly called out.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I still stand by that Biden was a good president.

However he should have bowed out a year ago cause he would be 85 after a second term. 

If Trump wasn’t the presumptive nominee and went into obscurity after 2020’s election, I believe Biden wouldn’t have run for a second term.

• True 2
  • Halal 3

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If Trump wasn’t the presumptive nominee and went into obscurity after 2020’s election, I believe Biden wouldn’t have run for a second term.

Yeah I think even above everything else one of the defining differences between Biden and Trump is that Biden actually legitimately cared about the country and its people. 

9 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I still stand by that Biden was a good president.

However he should have bowed out a year ago cause he would be 85 after a second term. 

Biden is beyond a doubt the best and most progressive potus of my lifetime and it’s frustrating it’s not recognized and will be overshadowed due to this.

• True 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 2

Just now, TUFKAK said:

Biden is beyond a doubt the best and most progressive potus of my lifetime and it’s frustrating it’s not recognized and will be overshadowed due to this.

I’m not sure if it’s so dire in regards to history. I think it may actually be kind to him in showing how he paved the way forward and made the sacrifice in a crucial moment to put the country always above his own self interests.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

9 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Actually willingly stepping aside for the good of the country (even if his hand was forced a bit, but you can only "force" a sitting President so hard) will elevate him even higher in the long-term. While everyone's focused on the immediate election, people will be less generous, but I think once we have a few years of post-vote clarity, reality will start to come back into focus.

9 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

There is no way Kennedy is getting 6%

Maybe it's supposed to read "Kennedy Jr .6%"

30 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Actually willingly stepping aside for the good of the country (even if his hand was forced a bit, but you can only "force" a sitting President so hard) will elevate him even higher in the long-term. While everyone's focused on the immediate election, people will be less generous, but I think once we have a few years of post-vote clarity, reality will start to come back into focus.

Maybe it's supposed to read "Kennedy Jr .6%"

I know this is counting a lot of chickens before they hatch, but imagine if Kamala wins a second term. It will go down as the Biden/Harris era and be seen maybe as the most successful presidential run Dems had since FDR.

And we have seen the state of GOP politics....if we can just get through this election I like her chances against whatever empty suit doing a second rate Trump impression that they can field against her....

In that scenario Joe should, and I think will, be seen in a very positive light.

• Halal 2

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

General Election Poll

Harris 53% (+6) Trump 47%

Kamala Harris 50%

Donald Trump 42%

Kennedy Jr. 6%

MULaw #A+ - 879 RV - 8/1

If we start seeing more +6 that is *huge*—I believe Silver said +2 in the popular vote is not a margin that indicates a particularly solid EC edge.  (although his own model has Harris up in the victory odds rn)

I think she needs to do at least one sit-down interview soon, though.  I get the sense that that’s where Trump and the right will begin to hammer her next.  She needs to prove she can produce more than word salad when questioned on the issues, especially if Trump chickens out of debate #2.  She’s got an uneven record there—her post-Biden-debate-implosion interview was quite good, but she kind of imploded a bit herself the last time she was pressed on the border issue by an interviewer on the air.

And I hope she keeps shouting “we’re the underdog” at every rally from here to Election Day, even if she’s up 20 points in November.  We all know the Orange monsters bred by Dem complacency lol.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

These are the couches in the Oval Office BTWOval-1-articleLarge.jpg
*JD Vance intensifies*

When I was doing the Buckingham Palace tour yesterday I kept thinking to myself “man, JD would have a field day here!”

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This just kind of reminds me of my dad. I never thought of him as a veteran because he never really talked about it. He told a story or two on occasion, but they weren't really war stories. More like being stationed in the south and people giving him shit or something. But eventually he would ask for veteran's discount at home depot and I always thought he was just saying it to see if he would get it. Then after he passed away I found out he actually served in the Korean War. I'm not sure what he did, I think it was on comms or something. I have his army boots and machete around here somewhere though. Just interesting to think. It was never something he ever bragged or talked about compared to today now it's become a pissing contest for some people.

spacer.png

Badass photo. My grandfather was also stationed in Korea, on comms. Somewhere amongst my relatives is a picture of him just like this.

• Hugs 1