Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

I don’t get the sense that undecided voters in 2024 are really as much undecided between the two tickets, but undecided between one ticket and not voting at all. I think that fundamentally changes how you should approach any of these questions about how the other side’s candidate measures up on this issue or that issue. Harris probably wins if turnout is high, and high turnout is largely a function of excitement for your team.

3 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

The thing you need to understand about undecided voters is their the dumbest and weirdest people out there.  Look at every time CNN does one of those undecided voter panels and you have people saying "I just don't know if I'm leaning Trump or Biden".  You also have a lot of people who will just stay home for various reasons, so you tend to get the safer picks.

Walz is a pretty good fit anyway because he doesn't come across as a slick politician.  If him and Vance debate I think he'll contrast well, he actually seems like he lives in the Midwest for one.

God, I'd love to have a sit down with an undecided voter. Just me and them in a neutral space, and then me beating the shit out of them with a baseball bat until they stop moving.

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

IMG_4757.jpg?ex=66b38005&is=66b22e85&hm=

Hmmm...

If they ever say anyone is not a "radical leftist" I'll assume something is wrong.  They have been literally saying this same thing for over 20 years about anyone who runs on the Democrats' side.  "They're the most liberal (governor, senator) ever" then proceed to either lie or assign policy to something mentioned once in passing.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

God, I'd love to have a sit down with an undecided voter. Just me and them in a neutral space, and then me beating the shit out of them with a baseball bat until they stopped moving.

This is why you need to post more. 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You know that Shapiro didn't do the sexual harassing, right? It was that he didn't fire his aide immediately, which is shitty.

Yeah I know it's a nothingburger, but the GOP and Trump would have flooded the airwaves with it, and Harris would have had to spend time in the news explaining it away.  On-the-fence voters who don't pay much attention might have just stuck with guilt-by-association.  Just think it's better to avoid those inevitable news cycles.  Otherwise I think Shapiro would still have been the best choice.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, finaljedi said:

If they ever say anyone is not a "radical leftist" I'll assume something is wrong.  They have been literally saying this same thing for over 20 years about anyone who runs on the Democrats' side.  "They're the most liberal (governor, senator) ever" then proceed to either lie or assign policy to something mentioned once in passing.

They’d call manchin a radical leftist if he wasn’t so open to accepting the ire of democrats tbh

• True 1

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This probably had more to do with it: more innuendo, fewer facts, kinda fucked up all around, and doesn’t implicate their own candidate in any way (that we know of)

WWW.INQUIRER.COM

Ellen Greenberg's death by 20 stab wounds was ruled homicide, then switched to suicide. When Shapiro was asked to review the case as attorney general, his office stood by...

Oh yeah - that one is lurking in the background as well, especially since the court agreed to hear the civil case.

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Oh yeah - that one is lurking in the background as well, especially since the case was ordered reopened by the court.

The problem with stuff like this, even if Shapiro isn't in the wrong anyway, you waste time on it.  The Harris campaign has been pretty effective on getting the other side to waste time trying to say that JD Vance isn't weird about women based on a lot of stupid things he said in his Senate run and most recently Trump trying to gatekeep who's black or not.  We're creeping up on a month of the Trump campaign flailing, no need to break their stride.

• Halal 2

16 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I like the Walz pick

Yeah when you're running a super tight race within a really short span of time, you can't afford to make any bad moves. Walz is the safest, and I think he has a lot of down-to-earth likeability.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Shapiro is pro-Israel...

So is Walz :p

Like most other Democrats, Walz has long been a supporter of Israel. When he served in the House from 2007-2019, he frequently took pro-Israel votes, including voting to condemn a United Nations resolution affirming that Israeli settlements in the West Bank are illegal. 108 other House Democrats voted for it, while 76 voted against it. He has also met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Mark Mellman, the chairman of Democratic Majority for Israel's super PAC, praised Harris' selection of Walz in a statement, calling him a "proud pro-Israel Democrat with a strong record of supporting the U.S.-Israel relationship."

2 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

"He's 60" is trending on that site that shall not be named.

Walz is only 1 year older than Harris.

I asked J.D. Vance about Walz's age:

WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

Vance made the comments on the “FULL SEND PODCAST,” a show Donald Trump has also appeared on.

• Haha 1

From Sahil Kapur (NBC News's Senior National Political Reporter):

WHY TIM WALZ?

Per source close to VP selection process on what Kamala Harris sees in him:

• Executive experience with a record on core goals: child tax credit, paid leave, gun safety, junk fees, abortion

• Appealing bio in key Midwest states: veteran, football coach, hunter, gun owner, won a Trump district

• Effective messenger vs. Trump-Vance (see: “weird”)

• Personal rapport & her confidence in him as a governing partner

• Halal 1

You know, I was for Shapiro simply for the math, and we can revisit this if a tipping point worst case scenario happens in November, but if the Dems can get past dropping Joe I am not going to lose any sleep over Shapiro not getting an opportunity he didn't even know would exist a month ago.

Time to move on. Walz is about keeping the positivity train rolling, and picking nits over Shapiro isn't worth even a speed bump to that.

Dems need to get behind this completely. In a couple weeks we get the convention, and a couple weeks after that early voting starts. And all the while we got Kamala and Tim hammering Trump and Vance being too chicken to debate.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

The Trump campaign is getting boring, even the media has to get tired of those releases.

I wonder if Shapiro still keeps stumping for Harris, like hopefully they offered him a cabinet seat to keep it rolling in PA.

• Halal 2