Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

Just now, Firewithin said:

So we actually got a best possible pick for once?

Depends on if she wins! But with the exception of him governing to the left (which is a liability to some people), he is a remarkably safe choice in terms of potential damage to different groups within the party, etc.

• Halal 1

It is going to be quite the scene when Trump wins 270 to 268 by securing a fantastically narrow PA win because they didn’t want a Jewish man on the ticket because they think the internet is real life.

• stepee 1
  • Guillotine 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Wrong 1

I would have gone with Kelly, but Waltz is fine. (I stopped favoring Shapiro when the sexual harassment controversy got unearthed)  Waltz appeals to the Midwest and has more union support than Kelly, which is a plus.  Only drawback is that he doesn't benefit the ticket geographically at all--while Minnesota is more red than it used to be, it's still in 'safe blue' territory for the time being.

Either way, PA is still an absolute must-win.  The Dems and the campaign better pull out all the stops to secure it.  Maybe they can still enlist Shapiro's help, in return for promising him a cabinet position.

Just now, sblfilms said:

It is going to be quite the scene when Trump wins 270 to 268 by securing a fantastically narrow PA win because they didn’t want a Jewish man on the ticket because they think the internet is real life.

Once more from the back: PA is not going red. The politics on the ground do not support it. 

• True 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah bro, no one in real life would care at all about the super easy to dig up sexual harassment stuff, which they could hammer both Shapiro with AND hammer Kamala with ("You knew this going in!")

But as long as we're talking real life, I'm glad that it's just cemented in real life that if your VP is from a state, you magically and instantaneously win that state.

• True 1

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah bro, no one in real life would care at all about the super easy to dig up sexual harassment stuff, which they could hammer both Shapiro with AND hammer Kamala with ("You knew this going in!")

But as long as we're talking real life, I'm glad that it's just cemented in real life that if your VP is from a state, you magically and instantaneously win that state.

You know that Shapiro didn't do the sexual harassing, right? It was that he didn't fire his aide immediately, which is shitty.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

You know that Shapiro didn't do the sexual harassing, right? It was that he didn't fire his aide immediately, which is shitty.

Yes, and that doesn't matter in the slightest. It's how the game of telephone politics works. It's all about optics and surface level "facts" people know. Most people are going to know a handful of buzzwords about each candidate at best, so you best keep them either positive or neutral.

• True 2

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Yes, and that doesn't matter in the slightest. It's how the game of telephone politics works. It's all about optics and surface level "facts" people know. Most people are going to know a handful of buzzwords about each candidate at best, so you best keep them either positive or neutral.

*looks at how many people care about Trump's rape allegations, conviction, and direct sexual harassment*

Oh, yea, sure.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

*looks at how many people care about Trump's rape allegations, conviction, and sexual harassment*

Oh, yea, sure.

The entire thing about Trump is his bizarre immunity to optics. Guess it makes sense when all his base wear drunk goggles or something. But really, optics still matter to the left, even if they've stopped mattering as much to the right. (For now. If Trump loses I think there's going to be some BIG fucking shake-ups.)

• True 1

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

A lot of people online who like Walz also liked Bernie, a Jewish senator.

As an anecdote, my fiancée got a big kick out of Walz when he talked about minding your own damn business in reference to Vance, and she has that small town background with a father with the most stereotypical southern accent. Then again like a lot of independents, she’s paying a lot more attention since Dobbs.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

*looks at how many people care about Trump's rape allegations, conviction, and sexual harassment*

Oh, yea, sure.

It might matter on the remaining undecided voters. 

• Halal 1

Just now, SaysWho? said:

As an anecdote, my fiancée got a big kick out of Walz when he talked about minding your own damn business in reference to Vance, and she has that small town background with a father with the most stereotypical southern accent. Then again like a lot of independents, she’s paying a lot more attention since Dobbs.

I just hope Walz asks for all furniture to be removed from the VP debate stage as he doesn't want Vance to get distracted.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Comet said:

If you're undecided and you care about Shapiro's aide, who resigned, sexually harassing someone, but not Trump who raped someone, has multiple other accusers of rape, and multiple accusers of sexual harassment, you're probably an RFK Jr voter since you have brainworms.

• True 2

4 minutes ago, Comet said:

Yeah. That said, I can kind of gauge what matters to folks on the left and folks on the right, the thoughts going on in the heads of people who are still somehow undecided in August of 2024 are an enigma to me. I can get being undecided most years, but holy shit, this is a year where it seems like you'd be hard-pressed to fence sit.

Unfortunately, these are the most important people in the nation every 4 years because our country is a joke. So...

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

They don’t want a Jewish man on the ticket, not because they dislike him or Jews, but because they think Gaza matters in American electoral politics. Because they think the internet is real life.

• Halal 1

Just now, sblfilms said:

They don’t want a Jewish man on the ticket, not because they dislike him or Jews, but because they think Gaza matters in American electoral politics. Because they think the internet is real life.

I've yet to actually see what "horrible thing" Shapiro said regarding Israel/Palestine that concerned people outside of "he's a Jew". However. I get called "disingenuous" when I bring that up :p 

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I've yet to actually see what "horrible thing" Shapiro said regarding Israel/Palestine that concerned people outside of "he's a Jew". However. I get called "disingenuous" when I bring that up :p 

I ain't no politics expert, all I could really find was that they dug this old thing he wrote decades ago, which he has since apparently distanced himself from pretty strongly:

The Philadelphia Inquirer uncovered the essay that Shapiro wrote for the Campus Times, the student newspaper of the University of Rochester, from which Shapiro graduated in 1995. In the article, Shapiro stressed his view that “Palestinians will not peacefully coexist,” because “they do not have the capabilities to establish their own homelands and make it successful even with the aid of Israel and the United States.”

“They are too battle-minded to be able to establish a peaceful homeland of their own,” Shapiro wrote, identifying himself as a “past volunteer in the Israeli army.” He referred to the Arab world as divided and “belligerent.”

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

I ain't no politics expert, all I could really find was that they dug this old thing he wrote decades ago, which he has since apparently distanced himself from pretty strongly:

Read the actual essay. It's a breakdown as to why there cannot be peace and he goes on to say that he supports and wants a two state solution in it, hoping that the reasons there "cannot be peace" will be overcome.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Read the actual essay. It's a breakdown as to why there cannot be peace and he goes on to say that he supports and wants a two state solution in it.

You're not tricking me into reading an essay!

• Haha 2

The thing you need to understand about undecided voters is their the dumbest and weirdest people out there.  Look at every time CNN does one of those undecided voter panels and you have people saying "I just don't know if I'm leaning Trump or Biden".  You also have a lot of people who will just stay home for various reasons, so you tend to get the safer picks.

Walz is a pretty good fit anyway because he doesn't come across as a slick politician.  If him and Vance debate I think he'll contrast well, he actually seems like he lives in the Midwest for one.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm fairly certain that the Gaza situation played little-to-no role in the decision to pass over Shapiro, but the potential of hearing the name "Mike Vereb" hammered incessantly by every single Republican over and over again probably did.

This probably had more to do with it: more innuendo, fewer facts, kinda fucked up all around, and doesn’t implicate their own candidate in any way (that we know of)

WWW.INQUIRER.COM

Ellen Greenberg's death by 20 stab wounds was ruled homicide, then switched to suicide. When Shapiro was asked to review the case as attorney general, his office stood by the suicide...