Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think people may be reading a bit much into that šŸ˜‚ When my wife talks about me, it is almost always in the context of being a good husband and father. Iā€™m happy that is primarily how she views me as those aspects of my life are most important to me. Any professional accomplishments are in service of those two things anyway.

Ā 

I donā€™t think Vanceā€™s comments are problematic in a vacuum and I likely wouldnā€™t object to anyone I know personally having a similar POV on their spouse. In this specific context and given what Vance is about, I donā€™t think thereā€™s a compelling reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Halal 2

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think people may be reading a bit much into that šŸ˜‚ When my wife talks about me, it is almost always in the context of being a good husband and father. Iā€™m happy that is primarily how she views me as those aspects of my life are most important to me. Any professional accomplishments are in service of those two things anyway.

Difference is Vance is a weird white supremacist ā€œrace traitorā€ who married up and thatā€™s the best he came come up with in the defense of her and their marriage and family to these gross racists

Ā 

your wife married some guy who is into

movies or whatever so she doesnā€™t have a lot to work with /s

• Haha 2
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I've been trying to get involved locally and Texas Dems are a mess. Pretty unstructured and disorganized, I think it's the only reason it's not a purple state. I bet if someone with means invested some money here it would be up for grabs in ~8yr.

WWW.TEXASTRIBUNE.ORG

The group is ā€œhelping to build party infrastructure at the regional level, because the various regions of our state are distinct and therefore require different strategies,ā€ a PAC official said.

Ā 

Ā 

They're trying.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Ā 

If you were defending her against scumbag bigots you might do it a little more emphatically than Vance did.Ā  "She's a good mom and I love her" is cool for talking to people casually who aren't calling her subhuman.Ā  As skillz pointed out, there's no winning with these people once you find yourself that special someone that doesn't meet their exacting requirements, I'd have just not addressed it at all.Ā  My current partner is Filipino and if someone came at me about her and I mixing races or something I'd not be terribly polite, I wouldn't throw hands, but I wouldn't be as courteous as Vance was.

• Halal 1

26 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He's not even being courteous. He comes across as borderline apologetic. "She's not white, but she's one of the 'good ones'."Ā 

Ā 

She's not white, but trust me, she can hate people of color with the best of them!

• stepee 1
  • True 2

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It was very funny seeing the childless Lindsey Graham pivot from the question about Vance to why heā€™s voting for TrumpĀ 

Ā 

he looked very uncomfortableĀ 

Ā 

Did Tim Scott ever actually go through with his marriage. :lol:

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If it is white nationalist white replacement theory why is he preaching it if his wife doesn't fit the profile? He's doing it wrong.

Ā 

"She's one of the good ones."Ā 

• stepee 1

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ā 

Did Tim Scott ever actually go through with his marriage. :lol:

Itā€™s scheduled for August 3rd. But Trump isnā€™t going to pick any black candidates, even ā€œthe good onesā€

9 minutes ago, outsida said:

Itā€™s scheduled for August 3rd. But Trump isnā€™t going to pick any black candidates, even ā€œthe good onesā€

Ā 

When he named Ben Carson, a surgeon who seemingly came up in the suburbs the HUD secretary I always wonder if Trump gave that to him because "Urban" is in the title.Ā  Like... he's a Doctor, there are a couple appointments that would fit his education and history more than Housing and Urban Development.Ā  Normally I'd dismiss it because it sounds too fucking stupid, but this is Trump, he wanted to nuke hurricanes, shoot protestors in the legs, and inject people with disinfectants.

16 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Ā 

When he named Ben Carson, a surgeon who seemingly came up in the suburbs the HUD secretary I always wonder if Trump gave that to him because "Urban" is in the title.Ā  Like... he's a Doctor, there are a couple appointments that would fit his education and history more than Housing and Urban Development.Ā  Normally I'd dismiss it because it sounds too fucking stupid, but this is Trump, he wanted to nuke hurricanes, shoot protestors in the legs, and inject people with disinfectants.

Surgeon General would have been more appropriate but...

55 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Ā 

She's not white, but trust me, she can hate people of color with the best of them!

I know that skin color does not lock anyone in to a political affiliation, but whenever I see non-white skin alongside these racist dickheads I immediately think of Samuel L Jacksonā€™s character in Django Unchained.

• True 1

There is no doubt in my mind that this is what will happen in November:

Ā 

WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

At least 70 pro-Trump conspiracists are election officials in key battleground counties ā€” and they are poised to make a giant mess on Election Day.

Ā 

ā€œI think we are going to see mass refusals to certify the electionā€ in November, says Democratic election lawyer Marc Elias. ā€œEverything we are seeing about this election is that the other side is more organized, more ruthless, and more prepared.ā€

Ā 

The post-election legal battles are going to be tremendously expensive, so I suggest throwing some cash to Marc Elias's Democracy Docket if you can:

Ā 

WWW.DEMOCRACYDOCKET.COM

The leading progressive platform for information, analysis and opinion about voting rights, elections and democracy.

Ā 

• Sad 1
  • Halal 2

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Ā 

I donā€™t think Vanceā€™s comments are problematic in a vacuum and I likely wouldnā€™t object to anyone I know personally having a similar POV on their spouse. In this specific context and given what Vance is about, I donā€™t think thereā€™s a compelling reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ā 

1 hour ago, finaljedi said:

Ā 

If you were defending her against scumbag bigots you might do it a little more emphatically than Vance did.Ā  "She's a good mom and I love her" is cool for talking to people casually who aren't calling her subhuman.Ā  As skillz pointed out, there's no winning with these people once you find yourself that special someone that doesn't meet their exacting requirements, I'd have just not addressed it at all.Ā  My current partner is Filipino and if someone came at me about her and I mixing races or something I'd not be terribly polite, I wouldn't throw hands, but I wouldn't be as courteous as Vance was.

The response was to a question Megyn Kelly asked about something Joy Reid said, that in Vanceā€™s perspective the only valid version of America is the white woman who stays at home.

Ā 

So he talks about his love for his wife, how she is a good mom and a brilliant lawyer, and he is proud of her. All while not being white.
Ā 

The context wasnā€™t defending his wife from white supremacists, it was pointing out that Reidā€™s comments about Vance do not align with Vanceā€™s perspective as evidenced by him being married to a brown woman who works full time.

Ā 

I know we donā€™t RTFA or WTFV around here, so hopefully that helps :pĀ 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ā 

WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

At least 70 pro-Trump conspiracists are election officials in key battleground counties ā€” and they are poised to make a giant mess on Election Day.

Ā 

Ā 

The post-election legal battles are going to be tremendously expensive, so I suggest throwing some cash to Marc Elias's Democracy Docket if you can:

Ā 

WWW.DEMOCRACYDOCKET.COM

The leading progressive platform for information, analysis and opinion about voting rights, elections and democracy.

Ā 

Ā 

Time for some official actions.

• Sicko Sherman 1

27 minutes ago, S3xB0t said:

I know that skin color does not lock anyone in to a political affiliation, but whenever I see non-white skin alongside these racist dickheads I immediately think of Samuel L Jacksonā€™s character in Django Unchained.

Ā 

As well you should, because it's an excellent representation of a self-hating minority so brainwashed by the system that they don't know better, especially if it affords the self-hating minority even a modicum of power, etc.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Ā 

The reason I disagree: Vance is on record of wanting to overthrow and replace the "leaders" of various institutions as if he's a villain on the Handmaid's Tale, which is LITERALLY WHAT THEY DID IN FICTION. Vance, when defending his "childless cat lady" comments, apologized to animals but not to people who don't have kids.

Ā 

100% He's dog whistling in my eyes.

• True 2

37 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ā 

WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

WWW.DEMOCRACYDOCKET.COM

Ā 

Ā 

The example in Nevada is basically a play-by-play of how this will turn out nationally. I'll copy the relevant part because I think it's worth everyone reading:

Ā 

THE NIGHTMARE SCENARIO on Election Night 2024 recently played out in Washoe County, Nevada, where a moderate Republican fought to prevent the county commission, which oversees elections, from becoming majority-election denier. Events there in recent months show the chaos that could result from the certification refusal movement in November.

Ā 

On June 11, Republican Clara Andriola, who was expelled from her local party for not towing the line on election denialism, faced off against Mark Lawson, a former firefighter who was fired for possession and distribution of steroids and who has questioned the results of the 2020 election. Andriola won, but local Republicans cited problems with mail-in ballots ā€” and a bizarre claim about someone in a vote-counting room with a thumb drive ā€” as evidence of fraud. On June 21, Washoe County commissioners Michael Clark and Jeanne Herman, both Republicans, voted against certifying the results of the primary. Andriola voted with the commissionā€™s two Democrats to certify results, which showed her beating Lawson by 1,725 votes.Ā 

Ā 

ā€œWeā€™re not saying that everything was perfect, that there isnā€™t room for improvement,ā€ Andriola told local media. ā€œAll weā€™re saying is this is the election, these are the results.ā€Ā 

Ā 

Following the certification, Nevada businessman Robert Beadles, an outspoken election denier who helped finance Lawsonā€™s campaign, personally paid $150,000 for the county to recount the results of three races, including a recount for a Democratic primary contest as well as the race between Andriola and Lawson. After three days of counting, the results were the same ā€” except Lawson had lost by one more vote than was initially counted. But that wasnā€™t enough. Beadles and other election deniers demanded a hand recount or an entirely new election.Ā 

Ā 

Under pressure from Beadles and citizens who spoke for hours at a July 9 meeting, Andriola then reversed her certification vote and joined Clark and Herman in voting to refuse to certify the primary results for a second time. In the days that followed Andriolaā€™s surprising change of heart, the Nevada secretary of state and Washoeā€™s county attorney reminded the commission of its legal duty to certify results.Ā 

Ā 

On July 16, Andriola and Clark finally came around, voting with the boardā€™s two Democrats to certify the results of the election, which had taken place more than a month before. Herman still voted against certification.Ā 

Ā 

This debacle played out quietly, mostly in the local press, and held up the certification of Andriolaā€™s win and that of a school board candidate. It took a month to certify the results, which only came after Nevadaā€™s secretary of state and attorney general asked the state Supreme Court to qualify certification as a required duty of county commissions like the one in Washoe.

Ā 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Ā 

The reason I disagree: Vance is on record of wanting to overthrow and replace the "leaders" of various institutions as if he's a villain on the Handmaid's Tale, which is LITERALLY WHAT THEY DID IN FICTION. Vance, when defending his "childless cat lady" comments, apologized to animals but not to people who don't have kids.

Ā 

100% He's dog whistling in my eyes.

See above. He was responding to criticism from a Black woman claiming his view is that the true version of America is white stay at home moms, and he brought up the fact that he is married to a brown mom who works outside of the home :pĀ 

29 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ā 

WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

WWW.DEMOCRACYDOCKET.COM

Ā 

Ā 

I don't know, this is it for Trump.Ā  Win or lose it's the end of the line for him.Ā  I'd think they wouldn't want to hitch their wagon at the end to him, the republican party is going to have to figure out what they are without him in a few years.

Just now, sblfilms said:

See above. He was responding to criticism from a Black woman claiming his view is that the true version of America is white stay at home moms, and he brought up the fact that he is married to a brown mom who works outside of the home :pĀ 

Ā 

I did see. He's not someone I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to considering everything he believes. He's exactly the kind of person who wants Project 2025 to happen, where freedom to do what we want is replaced by what we ought to do (their words, not mine).Ā 

Ā 

Running on plausible deniability is what these people do all the time.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, S3xB0t said:

Ā 

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ā 

As well you should, because it's an excellent representation of a self-hating minority so brainwashed by the system that they don't know better, especially if it affords the self-hating minority even a modicum of power, etc.

Ā 

Don't forget about this guy

Ā 

adult swim GIF by The Boondocks

• Haha 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

7 minutes ago, Reputator said:

The example in Nevada is basically a play-by-play of how this will turn out nationally. I'll copy the relevant part because I think it's worth everyone reading:

Ā 

That Nevada situation was absolutely a "dry run" for what Heritage, et al. have planned for November.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Ā 

I did see. He's not someone I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to considering everything he believes. He's exactly the kind of person who wants Project 2025 to happen, where freedom to do what we want is replaced by what we ought to do (their words, not mine).Ā 

Ā 

Running on plausible deniability is what these people do all the time.

There is no doubt, you guys just read and watched media that lied about what he was responding to, and even cut off the end of the sentence where he called her a brilliant lawyer. It is quite clear what is meant in context, and there isnā€™t anyway to read it as a dog whistle given what the actual question was.

Ā 

I forgot how this stuff all goes since we havenā€™t had Trump in office for 3.5 years, but you can literally just criticize the guy on policy alone without having to invent things he didnā€™t say or insinuate. Like, the guy said a bunch of actually whacks things in the interview like claiming Dems donā€™t want the child tax credits, which is provably untrue.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

There is no doubt, you guys just read and watched media that lied about what he was responding to, and even cut off the end of the sentence where he called her a brilliant lawyer. It is quite clear what is meant in context, and there isnā€™t anyway to read it as a dog whistle given what the actual question was.

Ā 

I forgot how this stuff all goes since we havenā€™t had Trump in office for 3.5 years, but you can literally just criticize the guy on policy alone without having to invent things he didnā€™t say or insinuate. Like, the guy said a bunch of actually whacks things in the interview like claiming Dems donā€™t want the child tax credits, which is provably untrue.

Ā 

Bro, you're right about some things in this post, and the gist that this isn't something worth dying on a hill on is something I'd even agree with. But when you watch a guy literally say he wants to overthrow institutions and replace the leaders, a page right out of The Handmaid's Tale, with the context being the interview itself, that's a right-wing Christian nationalist policy, and I'm going to hit him on that. And when that's the man who's speaking about anything else, I give no benefit of the doubt to him.

Ā 

The reason some people are insisting otherwise is because they are guys who tell us what they mean, say what they want to do, and then try to execute those things (overturning elections, fighting against elections, overturning Roe v Wade, claiming to be pro-life but opposing every measure to help people nurture said life such as paid leave, universal pre-K, child tax credits), but we're still playing this game where we try to give people the benefit of the doubt to explain what the person "actually" meant.

Absolutely no lie here my mom came home today from running errands and showed me she boughtĀ Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and... lol.

Ā 

I'm not familiar with the comments he apparently made about having sex with a couch but I warned her that may very well be in your book.Ā 

Ā 

She said "what"!!!

Ā 

:lol:

• Sicko 1

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

Someone should start doing a reverse trolling and start petitioning local libraries for the removal of Hillbilly Elegy for indecent sexual acts.

And in a weird twist of fate the Satanic Temple was protesting to keep it thereĀ 

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Ā 

Ā 

Plus, Vance isn't smart enough to do all the dog-whistle calculus in his head in real time.

• True 2