Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

32 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

It is really fortunate that everyone who has tried to be the next Trump acts like an alien pod person.

30 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Exactly, no one has come to fill the void, which is why they're still trotting out almost 80-year old Trump instead. I mean Josh Hawley? DeSantis? Gaetz? MTG? Boebert? JD Vance? There's no one, which is why 2028 we might get an actual Democratic primary where policy matters again (though Harris will run as an incumbent so probably not until 2032 sadly to get real policy discussions). So we're waiting 8 years, but I'll take avoiding fascism for now. 

Theres a second reason why mgt has come after loomer and jealous lover is not that second one

• True 1

37 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Exactly, no one has come to fill the void, which is why they're still trotting out almost 80-year old Trump instead. I mean Josh Hawley? DeSantis? Gaetz? MTG? Boebert? JD Vance? There's no one, which is why 2028 we might get an actual Democratic primary where policy matters again (though Harris will run as an incumbent so probably not until 2032 sadly to get real policy discussions). So we're waiting 8 years, but I'll take avoiding fascism for now. 

It won't matter in 2032, because...

On 9/4/2024 at 1:32 AM, Jason said:

National level Dems going YIMBY this cycle is probably not a coincidence:

PEP_2030_Estimates_VPJfQmE.max-1000x1000

• True 1

National poll* by RMG Research

🔵Harris: 51% [+1]
🔴Trump: 47% [-1]

[+/- change vs 9/3-5]
——
Trends
Aug. 14 - Trump +2
Aug. 22 - TIE
Aug. 28 - Harris +3
Sept. 5 - Harris +2
Sept. 12 - Harris +4

*Two thirds of the survey interviews were conducted AFTER Tuesday's debate

#60 (2.3/3.0) | 2,756 LV | 9/9-12 | ±1.9%

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Perhaps. I hope the people who already foam at the mouth about immigrants are voting for Trump already. He needs to keep in mind there are 500,000 voting members of the Haitian community in Florida. I don't think Harris will win Florida, but no need to make enemies of entire ethnicities. 

You know many Haitians I know that were previously for Trump that are now silent?

In the scenario that Trump loses the popular vote, but wins the electoral college, how much do Democrats push for the electoral college to be dismantled the next time they have the White House? Why didn't Biden push for it, or was there no point because there wouldn't be enough support from the House and Senate? 

They should push for it anyway, but the bar for getting a Constitutional amendment passed is basically impossibly high. An easier path is something like like popular vote compact, where states are just promising to assign electors to the popular vote winner, and I think it needs like 5 or 6 more states to hit the 270 threshold. That's still also not going to happen any time soon, though, and frankly I wouldn't really trust it holding up through the legal challenges to it if it were ever actually implemented

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't know that this is going to happen because Trump is a unique cult of personality - who do you see filling in the void? Republicans have nothing without that cult of personality in terms of followers/voters. Trump is highly unique and not replicable.

I keep wondering about that… the “celeb, cult of personality” has worked for the GOP twice now with Trump and Reagan… I am curious to see who we are unknowingly building up as a brand who will turn to political and go insane…. Musk has some branding and Bizarro/Luthor wealthy sleaze energy building up… buy its always someone on the periphery……… i suppose Kanye checks off some GOP boxes lol 

54 minutes ago, Brick said:

In the scenario that Trump loses the popular vote, but wins the electoral college, how much do Democrats push for the electoral college to be dismantled the next time they have the White House? Why didn't Biden push for it, or was there no point because there wouldn't be enough support from the House and Senate? 

It would require one of two things. Either:

1. a constitutional amendment (not happening)

2. more states to sign on to the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact

Option 2 is much more likely though still not going to happen in the current political environment. Additionally, were enough states to sign on, it would likely face legal challenges the first time it needs to be used.