Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

At VMAs, Swift talked about her fan voted award by reminding people to register:

WWW.CNN.COM

After taking home the big prize at the MTV Video Music Awards, Taylor Swift thanked her boyfriend and had a message for voters.

Front page on CNN:

WWW.CNN.COM

As Donald Trump mingled and posed for pictures with fire fighters on Wednesday – one of several stops to observe the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack on the United States – a small entourage of the former president’s inner circle looked on from outside Engine Company 4 Ladder Company 15 in New York City.

Trump is chickening out on another debate, but I think he'll be back.

WWW.CNN.COM

Former President Donald Trump on Thursday announced there would not be a third presidential debate.

GOP civil war intensifies:

WWW.RAWSTORY.COM

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) isn't the only Republican trying to get former President Donald Trump to disassociate himself from MAGA activist Laura Loomer.Andrew Desiderio of Punchbowl News reported Thursday that Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) told reporters on Thursday afternoon that he believes ...

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sicko 7
  • Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 2

58 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

has the Harris campaign asked for another debate? Or is he yet again inventing his own reality? 

They asked for another one as soon as the one on Tuesday was done.

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

GOP civil war intensifies:

WWW.RAWSTORY.COM

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) isn't the only Republican trying to get former President Donald Trump to disassociate himself from MAGA activist Laura Loomer.Andrew Desiderio of Punchbowl News reported Thursday that Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) told reporters on Thursday afternoon that he believes ...

King Of The Hill Reaction GIF

• True 2

There are pretty strong indications that even Trump knew he was losing the debate as it was going on so this posturing going on right now about him winning so hard there will be no more debates is a sign even Trump knows he can't risk another one.

The comments he has made have the feeling of messaging rather than just off the cuff remarks and I think the thought process behind it is to go hard at killing any possibility of a debate now so that Kamala can't dog him for weeks on the issue. If he does his normal waffling on the topic Kamala will just hound him with it for weeks like she did to get the first debate. If he definitively declares victory and says right now there will absolutely, positively be no debate the mainstream media will probably get bored and move on to something else.

There was talk a few pages back about the pros and cons of another debate for Kamala and my opinion is that there is very little risk for her. The main reason is simply that Trump is who he is. I am honestly not even really sure what people think a "good" Trump performance would look like. He just said in the debate what he's been saying for years.

And we've even got a few examples of what it looks like when Trump tries to go at a different speed. Remember a while back when his campaign was actually trying to get him to stick with the "on message" routine? He did a couple on prompter speeches and he looked like he was on fucking tranquilizers. I don't know if he just gets bored if he's not getting the big applause lines with the red meat lines or if he was like a kid having a tantrum and purposely showing his campaign how bad it would be if they made him stay on script but either way the man just does not have multiple speeds.

The biggest risk Kamala would have is the natural inclination in the press to pump up a rubber match. You know, Kamala shows up and gives the same performance, Trump manages to take 10% of the craziness off the top, and all of a sudden there is motivation to say, "They each got one". If I remember right there was even a bit of this with the Clinton/Trump debates(despite the fact that they were all pretty much the same Trump shit show).

But I just don't think there's that much of a risk. His camp can't put him on prompter during the debates even if they wanted to.

And for all the jokes there really is a legitimate question of just how much he has the ability to control his impulses even if he wanted to. He's nearly 80, has never been particularly good at impulse control....I think there's a good chance he is mentally incapable of avoiding getting baited by Kamala.

So yeah, I expect that Trump will be surprisingly consistent in the coming days on this issue. No more debates, he won, move on. If he starts waffling about maybe there will and maybe there won't I will be surprised but that will leave the door open for Kamala to corner him into another one. I think her and her camp would definately do another one if they could. By and large she is swinging for the fences and not trying to play it safe.

• True 1
  • Halal 3

If the right wants to spend one of the valuable remaining news cycles left until the election on sane washing "They eat your pets!!!!" I am not sure that goes well for them.

The "stay on message" folks in the party must be measuring a length of rope and a good cross beam at this point :lol:

• Sicko Sherman 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

You can't draw conclusions from a single poll, but it's a single data point that is better than otherwise!

m2t96Sd.png

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

All within the moe 

Yeah but this poll has it within 1% at the extreme end of the MOE. That’s definitely better than it was looking before.

29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

VQNyBNf.jpeg

They’ll just let any old moron run for president

Williamson is one of those weirdos whose heart is broadly in the right place, mainly supports just causes, then gets a microphone or a pen and commits to the stupidest shit imaginable.

5 hours ago, Reputator said:

I'm not doing a week but I'll be taking the 5th and 6th, the latter to nurse my hangover.

5 hours ago, Ominous said:

We have a family trip early that week with school closed for voting, so I'll use my states new early voting to vote "in person" but before election day...then I'll be hide in my election bunker until the dust settles. 

I will be suffering greatly on election day, as I will be on a family vacation in Hawaii. :p

39 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Im more curious about the next Trump rally… the “windmill, hannibal lecter, people bored and leaving” thing will mess with his mind… its like telling a speaker they have too many “crutch” words… that and seeing anyone leave will make him more self conscious

I wanna see him yelling at people to "sit back down!"

Trump rally in Tucson had 550 folks in attendance.. 

Good job Donald tell them about keeping mexican rapists out of the country and they will vote to keep rapists out of the White House

meanwhile Vance keeps dropping gems:

”if immigration was the path to prosperity, then America would be the most prosperous country in the world."

• Haha 2