Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

I think one of the funniest parts about last night is Republicans realizing that maybe it wasnt smart to base their opinion of how smart Harris is off of clips of her speeches taken out of context only to watch Trump walk into a buzzsaw over and over last night. 

• Haha 2
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

my conservative mom said the debate was biased and not fair for trump. she said he didn’t do well but he was also set up for failure. 

Her problem is that she fails to see he was held to a standard instead of being able to continuously spout bullshit like he’s done for the last four years. How anyone reasonable could support the dude blows my mind given that he does nothing but continuously lie. Even when he gets close to the concept of a point it immediately deviates into an outright lie.

• True 1

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

my conservative mom said the debate was biased and not fair for trump. she said he didn’t do well but he was also set up for failure. 

My mom said the EXACT same thing. 

1 minute ago, S3xB0t said:

Her problem is that she fails to see he was held to a standard instead of being able to continuously spout bullshit like he’s done for the last four years. How anyone reasonable could support the dude blows my mind given that he does nothing but continuously lie. Even when he gets close to the concept of a point it immediately deviates into an outright lie.

Yep. 

• Halal 2

Debate thoughts now that I’m sober (I stopped at five glasses of shitty Kraken rum, then had three cans of beer while watching some of the 2009 Star Trek and have no memory of getting into bed):

1. Kamala coming in for the handshake practically behind his podium was a POWER move. Totally threw Trump off his game because you know he wasn’t going to go for one.
  2. Once again, as I’ve said in the past, debates matter. The first debate between Biden and Trump in 2020 reminded people what an asshole Trump really is. The only debate between them this year changed the game for the race entirely. Last night’s debate showed people what a doddering old man Trump is now.
  3. Kamala brought that prosecutor flex with her and laid so many traps for him. Mentioning crowd size and people leaving his rallies early specifically got a “NO U” response out of him that made him look like a giant toddler.
  4. So many of the memes today are about “transgender illegal immigrants in prison”, “eating dogs and pets”, and “the concepts of a plan”. @Keyser_Soze most likely saw my Instagram shitposting all day.
  5. I hate that I’m at the beach for once in my life because the watch parties in Philly were insane. Kamala showed up for the Cherry Street Pier party after the debate.
  6. The reactions today from the right wing shows that they’re terrified now. 
  • Halal 4
  • Hype 1

6 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Debate thoughts now that I’m sober (I stopped at five glasses of shitty Kraken rum, then had three cans of beer while watching some of the 2009 Star Trek and have no memory of getting into bed)

You're my hero. 

• Hugs 2

11 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

The people whining about the debate being unfair are not serious people.  They think at the same time that the rest of the world leaders cower in fear of Trump, yet he can’t stand up to some panel moderators.

It was the unfairest debate I've ever seen. They checked his facts! He didn't even bring facts, how can they check them?! Absolute disgrace. If they had mentioned they were going to fact check he would've spent the night in bed instead!

• Haha 1
  • True 1

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Laura Loomer was seen traveling with Trump today, so I don't think he's going to back down.

Good good, the best thing for him right now is obviously going even deeper into the chud cinematic universe. 

• stepee 1

Hey @marioandsonic, just to give you some hope: I got fired from a job I wasn’t exactly “happy” at back in 2011. Didn’t take it well. Started drinking A LOT (like everyday), fell in love, got my heartbroken, and then went to grad school for game design all in the same year. Safe to say my wallet took a pounding to the point where I literally had $80 in my savings by 2016 and wasted $60 of it buying fake weed from some scammers. 

Started investing what little I had left and it slowly paid off. Worked another job that I’ve been at since 2013, which I’m so mentally checked out of I can do it in my sleep now. But then 2020 happened, and being isolated from my father who was a cancer survivor (unfortunately he lost round two in 2021) and the rest of my family and friends took a HUGE toll on me mentally. Started drinking heavily again (vodka straight out of the bottle of a private stash I had gotten) and contemplated jumping out of a window. 

But during that I was playing the FFVII Remake and it was stirring something in me creatively. So after the window jumping contemplating, I bought a drawing course to get my hands wet with drawing again. Poured that last bottle of vodka down the drain, picked up my pencil again on September 6th and for the last four years I’ve been living my best life. 

Am I making as much money as I should be? No, but my film production business is doing well, my freelance art is doing well, and working on my video game doesn’t stress me out like it used to.

Am I single still? Yes. But I’m also much more cautious on the dating scene than I used to be. I’m not DESPERATE to find someone like I was back in 2011 when I was seeing all my friends get married. 

But I’m genuinely happy. It took me a while to get here, but I love it now. And I don’t go insane with booze when I’m ever in a bad mood, in fact, the only time I drink anymore is weekends after a drawing session, special occasions like weddings or on vacation like I am this week.

Also, starting my mornings with a one minute plank and 50 pushups right out of bed is almost better than coffee. Working on my health by eating more fruits and veggies and consistently working out has done wonders for my mental health.

Long winded story I know, but I saw you’re hurting and wanted to give you something resembling hope.

• stepee 2
  • Hugs 7
  • Hype 1

So what are the odds Donnie agrees to another debate?

I kinda think his campaign will feel like it has to, if Harris gets sustained momentum from this.  But Trump might also be psychologically incapable of putting himself in such a vulnerable position again, and might try to find an excuse to bail. (while blaming it on her, of course)

I'd prefer him to chicken out, honestly...as much as I'd like to think it's likely Harris will win a rematch handily, you just never know, and it's probably not a risk worth taking if she's in a decent position in a few weeks and the vibes (and polls) are still good, given how tight the race is.

• Halal 3

8 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I kinda think his campaign will feel like it has to, if Harris gets sustained momentum from this.  But Trump might also be psychologically incapable of putting himself in such a vulnerable position again, and might try to find an excuse to bail. (while blaming it on her, of course)

I'd prefer him to chicken out, honestly...as much as I'd like to think it's likely Harris will win a rematch handily, you just never know, and it's probably not a risk worth taking if she's in a decent position in a few weeks and the vibes (and polls) are still good, given how tight the race is.

Do the debate without him, put an actual chicken in his seat, have Kamala say "wow, even the fuckin' chicken showed up, where's Trump?"

50 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I don't see another one happening. And I think Kamala went as hard as she did in this debate because she knew it would probably be the only one.

I'd say it's going to come down to the poll number shifts. If she sees a semi-significant (2+ points with some legs) boost, I don't know that his team wouldn't be forced to pump him full of amphetamines and try and get him back out there. Whether he's going to keep checking on his Newsmax and Breitbart polls, assuming that all is well, and vetoing his team's requests is an entirely separate matter. 

• Halal 1