Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Continuation of the culture.  Low birth rates lead to population declines.  If birth rates remain unchanged in places like Japan and South Korea, they will lose about half of their population in the next 60 or so years.  

Marvel Balance GIF

26 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The impact of student loan burden on family formation necessitates aggressive pro-family policy if we don’t want SS/Medicare to fall off an even higher and closer cliff. 

Honestly housing is the bigger issue since at best half of all young people (god I sound old) even go to college but everyone has to live somewhere

also concerns about climate change

30 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Continuation of the culture.  Low birth rates lead to population declines.  If birth rates remain unchanged in places like Japan and South Korea, they will lose about half of their population in the next 60 or so years.  

I don't see the problem

• stepee 1

34 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I mean her plan does mention extending the earned income tax credit for those without dependents.

I just think it’s short sighted to only extend relief to those with children because that’s not gonna help those who want to become parents to do so, make the culture more child/family friendly. And we all know my stance on breeding but those who want to should be supported, not just those who already have.

I don’t need tax cuts, I save so much more money by not having kids but I also don’t think tax cuts alone will promote this; but it’s something the federal govt can absolutely pursue with a stroke of a pen.

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

I don't see the problem

Well, if you want to preserve certain cultures or languages, it might bother you.  I'm assuming you have an issue with Europeans wiping out indigenous cultures in the Americas.  Why would you be ok if the Japanese culture were gone in 100 years? 

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Well, if you want to preserve certain cultures or languages, it might bother you.  I'm assuming you have an issue with Europeans wiping out indigenous cultures in the Americas.  Why would you be ok if the Japanese culture were gone in 100 years? 

I'm ok if we voluntarily exited the planet by having fewer and fewer kids.

Hi, we came, we conquered, we created squishmallows. Thanks for the H2O! Peace! ✌️

There's also plenty of cultures that have come and gone. It's natural baby!

• stepee 1

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

There’s a world of difference between genocide and people just not fucking anymore.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

10 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm ok if we voluntarily exited the planet by having fewer and fewer kids.

Hi, we came, we conquered, we created squishmallows. Thanks for the H2O! Peace! ✌️

There's also plenty of cultures that have come and gone. It's natural baby!

It's not voluntary if you try to avoid legislation that helps those with children. If you wanna go, go! But don't assume that's what everyone wants.

This shit always reads to me like Ascended Incel-ery.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

It's not voluntary if you try to avoid legislation that helps those with children. If you wanna go, go! But don't assume that's what everyone wants.

Birth rates are down across the developed world though; it’s not just a legislative thing as the issues in Korea are nothing like the ones here as a great example.

• Halal 1

49 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

We don’t even have a culture worth preserving, lmao 

Just now, Uaarkson said:

We don’t even have a culture worth preserving, lmao 

I don’t wanna exist in a world where we prioritize well being over Raytheon’s executives getting their god given bonuses paid out! Tell me how that’s not worth preserving!

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Preserving “culture” is a universally applicable right wing talking point lmao. 

I'm not worried about American culture because we've been a melting pot for 200 plus years and the culture has constantly evolved as it introduces new people into the mix.  It's fantastic, and I doubt that if America is around in another 200 years it will look anything like it does today.  

My point was more along the likes of places like Korea, Japan, and other places where the culture is more or less static.  They are unlikely to ever change their immigration policies, and programs and initiatives to increase birthrates are not gaining traction, so the population will continue to shrink.  

EDIT: If a country's population shrinks far enough, they will become ripe for the picking from an adversarial nation to forcefully take them over - and then for sure their culture will be relegated to the dustbin of history or become a tourism selling point.  Just look at what happened to Hawaii.  There were no large genocidal events from Europeans there, but disease and an influx of white people since the mid-1800s has meant that Hawaiian culture is no more than a selling point in a tourism brochure. 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm not worried about American culture because we've been a melting pot for 200 plus years and the culture has constantly evolved as it introduces new people into the mix.  It's fantastic, and I doubt that if America is around in another 200 years it will look anything like it does today.  

My point was more along the likes of places like Korea, Japan, and other places where the culture is more or less static.  They are unlikely to ever change their immigration policies, and programs and initiatives to increase birthrates are not gaining traction, so the population will continue to shrink.  

Do you think Japanese culture is unchanged in the past century?

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

tzk24JM.png

I feel stupid even picking this nit, but Shapiro is even wrong about this stupid, meaningless bullshit.

Spice in the historical sense he is talking about referred to basically any kind of imported seasoning.

The spice Walz is referring to is the modern usage that means "spicy".....specifically "hot" styles of seasoning.

From the Wikipedia page....

The spice trade involved historical civilizations in Asia, Northeast Africa and Europe. Spices, such as cinnamon, cassia, cardamom, ginger, pepper, nutmeg, star anise, clove, and turmeric, were known and used in antiquity and traded in the Eastern World.

Pretty sure we are not talking about Tim not liking cinnamon, pepper, and nutmeg....

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Jason said:

WWW.IRISHSTAR.COM

JD Vance made a shocking comment about immigrants in the clip from 2021

We’re finally getting to the root of the problem in this country: the goddamn Irish.

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I’ve been around enough white midwesterners to know that the fact check on the idea that white people use spice is False

As a midwestern white guy I can confirm. There’s a reason our casseroles do not use more than 1/8th teaspoon of pepper.

• Haha 1

Just now, S3xB0t said:

We’re finally getting to the root of the problem in this country: the goddamn Irish.

As a midwestern white guy I can confirm. There’s a reason our casseroles do not use more than 1/8th teaspoon of pepper.

You can’t trust the damn Irish 

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

This shit always reads to me like Ascended Incel-ery.

We talking about different things

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Personally I’d attack this from the economic “do you want your retirement fund to last?” angle

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

What?.