Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

IMO you just need to build a tonne of housing. Unfortunately, that requires buy-in from local/state jurisdictions, who usually control zoning and code (both of which need to change). Federal governments can certainly do something, but it's basically just bribery to get local places to take action. In Canada, the feds are offering crazy money to provinces and cities that change their zoning to allow denser housing, and it's working (in terms of getting zoning changed).

But also, federal social housing needs to come back in a big way.

We can absolutely have the federal government force localities to build more housing but it will take new legislation and a lot of legwork from the fair housing administration. These measures are legal in the same way all anti discrimination laws with regard to housing are legal. 

In a sane world with a judiciary that isn’t captured by corrupt right wing interests, it’s quite plain to see that zoning ordinances not only are the fruit of the poisoned tree, but continue to disproportionately burden minority groups with higher rents and physically displace and exclude them from wealthy white areas because of these rents. 

And to say nothing of the obvious interstate commerce issues! Like how many people on the east coast know someone who moved out of New York or DC because of housing costs? Or Texans and west coasters broadly complaining about the cost of living in California pushing Californians to them? Like I can point to people on this very board that these issues have directly affected them!

But to get off my soap box here none of this can really happen until there is a judicial branch not captured by wealthy “donors” who have an interest in their neighborhoods staying white and extremely wealthy

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

IMO you just need to build a tonne of housing. Unfortunately, that requires buy-in from local/state jurisdictions, who usually control zoning and code (both of which need to change). Federal governments can certainly do something, but it's basically just bribery to get local places to take action. In Canada, the feds are offering crazy money to provinces and cities that change their zoning to allow denser housing, and it's working (in terms of getting zoning changed).

But also, federal social housing needs to come back in a big way.

Yeah in my idiot fantasy mind the government invites heavy duty construction companies to bulldoze and rebuild condemned areas around the country and uses it for homeless housing that also has a center for job training to get these folks back on their feet..  Its a stupid costly fantasy but operating the complex would generate jobs and seemingly provide the workforce for itself

Did anyone post this? Trump says the Presidential Medal of Freedom is better than the Congressional Medal of Honor because the people receiving it haven't been shot, or aren't dead.

xp49tnk.png

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Trump praised Republican donor Miriam Adelson for having received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, a top civilian award.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Rock the Vote '24: update (08/16) - Harris unveils economic policy priorities (housing, groceries, health care)
WWW.CNBC.COM

Vice President Kamala Harris' policies would aim to lower the cost of groceries and prescription drugs, expand affordable housing and cut taxes.

Vice President Kamala Harris on Friday will unveil a new set of economic proposals that she would prioritize in her first 100 days in office. The policies aim to lower the cost of groceries and prescription drugs, expand affordable housing and cut taxes for the middle class.

The Democratic presidential nominee will visit the battleground state of North Carolina to deliver her first dedicated policy speech since President Joe Biden withdrew from the race in late July, catapulting her to the top of the ticket.

“These bold actions will address some of the sharpest pain points American families are confronting and bolster their financial security,” the Harris campaign said Friday in a fact sheet on the plans.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Did anyone post this? Trump says the Presidential Medal of Freedom is better than the Congressional Medal of Honor because the people receiving it haven't been shot, or aren't dead.

xp49tnk.png

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Trump praised Republican donor Miriam Adelson for having received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, a top civilian award.

But civilian version, it’s actually much better because everyone [who] gets the Congressional Medal of Honor, they're soldiers. They’re either in very bad shape because they’ve been hit so many times by bullets or they’re dead," Trump concluded. “She gets it, and she’s a healthy, beautiful woman, and they’re rated equal, but she got the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and she got it for — and that’s through committees and everything else.”

He has a real distaste for those injured PTSD addled “ugly” Veterans..

Fortunately for him most Vets will file this under the “He tells it like it is, thats why we love him” way of thinking.

34 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.CNBC.COM

Vice President Kamala Harris' policies would aim to lower the cost of groceries and prescription drugs, expand affordable housing and cut taxes.

Doesn’t she know the only way to get swing voters on her side is to

• whine about your press coverage
  • make up fan fiction where Joe Biden is still in the race
  • throw pointless and poorly thought out personal attacks at her opponent 
  • tell everyone we will have the best of everything if elected, provide no further details
  • talk about the LATE, GREAT HANNIBAL LECTOR for some goddamn reason
  • Haha 2
  • True 2

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

xp49tnk.png

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

I don’t know who this lady is. I also can’t be bothered to look it up or care since the same award was given to Rush Limbaugh, rendering it absolutely meaningless. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I don’t know who this lady is. I also can’t be bothered to look it up or care since the same award was given to Rush Limbaugh, rendering it absolutely meaningless. 

I’d have been perfectly fine with Limbaugh getting a medal if he was shot a bunch and died beforehand. 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Wife of Sheldon aldeson (rest in piss) who funded all kinds of right wing psychos and it seems like she’s keeping up the grift

8 minutes ago, 69los said:

Selfishly, this pro-kid bias really irks me.

6 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Just cut middle class taxes period to promote family formation if that’s the goal.

I mean her plan does mention extending the earned income tax credit for those without dependents.

3 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

cheap labor yah 

Continuation of the culture.  Low birth rates lead to population declines.  If birth rates remain unchanged in places like Japan and South Korea, they will lose about half of their population in the next 60 or so years.  

• stepee 1