Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

Bay area excluded in happiness

You know what’s interesting to me and @TUFKAK I’m curious if you get the same response, that most people overseas when I’m tell them I’m from SF they are usually like “ohhh nice” about it and their impression is it’s this amazing safe and pristine city. 

I mean I love SFBA, it’s the only place in America I’d live most likely, but even still their impression of it is greater than mine.

• stepee 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

You know what’s interesting to me and @TUFKAK I’m curious if you get the same response, that most people overseas when I’m tell them I’m from SF they are usually like “ohhh nice” about it and their impression is it’s this amazing safe and pristine city. 

I mean I love SFBA, it’s the only place in America I’d live most likely, but even still their impression of it is greater than mine.

People over seas would tell me "nice is that close to New York?"

(I lived in the Bay 15+ years until the pandemic)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

People over seas would tell me "nice is that close to New York?"

(I lived in the Bay 15+ years until the pandemic)

WE KNOW

I get a lot of people who think LA and SF are like an hour apart.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Everywhere I’ve been when people find out I’m from San Francisco they tell me how much they love it, how bad they want to go, or they have questions for when they do.

think they think the sand thing about the flyover states? Lol

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

Everywhere I’ve been when people find out I’m from San Francisco they tell me how much they love it, how bad they want to go, or they have questions for when they do.

think they think the sand thing about the flyover states? Lol

I even try to quiz them on the “crime” thing and they never heard of that 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I even try to quiz them on the “crime” thing and they never heard of that 

Euros in particular love SF and to someone from let’s say Athens they’re gonna laugh at the crime argument 

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

How far in the past? I can't remember ever hearing a politician seriously talk policy in all my life. And by politician I of course mean a serious contender for POTUS, I think senators do a better job of running on policy at least somewhat. I feel like inbetween the catchphrases and the overbroad sentiment you could still squeeze real policy discussion in there every now and then, give people who do care about policy actual soundbites and videos they can use rather than, like, quoting a constantly changing campaign website. I remember some Republican candidate's website flipped their policy stance a few times during campaign season, which was wild. I don't remember if it was Trump or someone else, but some of the issues were the complete opposite at different points in the leadup to the election. :lol:

Arnold.

I distinctly remember him going into pain staking detail about his monetary policy; he got derided, so he shifted to rainy day fund and all of a sudden it clicked with our mouth breathers.

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

WE KNOW

I get a lot of people who think LA and SF are like an hour apart.

I think my cousin asked me something similar to that. Like how long does it take to get there or something like that. As if it was like a stone's throw away.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think my cousin asked me something similar to that. Like how long does it take to get there or something like that. As if it was like a stone's throw away.

To be fair the train that can do that is totally coming in 2035

• True 1

Guys, it's over. Fox News managed to find 3 or 4 Republican congresspeople in Minnesota who don't like Walz very much.

It's big headline news. SHOCKING!

These are my favorite stories they write. It's always, "Lawmaker slams BLANK for dangerous policies" and the lawmaker is some GOP ghoul and the quote was from a Fox News interview. But they can craft it into a headline that makes it sound like some big controversy rather than just completely mundane partisan rhetoric.

Actually, my favorite stories they do are when they make a news story about what 5 random people on twitter said... like anyone with 5 minutes couldn't find 5 people on twitter who would say literally anything. It's not news fuckers.

• Haha 1

Also, in additional shocking news, the republican opponent of Ilhan Omar also doesn't approve of Walz. That seems like something Fox should a write a featured article about. That's surely BIG NEWS. So what's the headline on that article? A GOP congress candidate saying bad stuff about Walz?

"'Squad' Dem challenger tears into Walz for pushing same policies as far-left radicals"

Except it's not a Dem challenger. I don't even understand how they can run that headline. I guess they are trying to say "Squad" and "Dem" are both supposed to refer to Omar, and she is challenging the SQUAD DEM, but come on. There is no way that isn't purposefully crafted to deceive. It's openly deceptive and designed only for people who don't read articles to pick up on the vibes.

From Adam Carlson:

Among which groups has Harris improved the most relative to Biden?

Comparing an avg of crosstabs from high-quality non-partisan H2H polls of Trump vs. Biden (Jul 1-20) to Trump vs. Harris (Jul 22-Aug 9), Harris has consolidated the Dem base and made inroads among independents.

GUj4HhMXwAAp0r3?format=png&name=medium

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean

Come Again Excuse Me GIF by Storyful

I was being very optimistic and positive during that debate. We all saw that disaster so I don't need to point it out again. It's history now. 

8 minutes ago, Best said:

I was being very optimistic and positive during that debate. We all saw that disaster so I don't need to point it out again. It's history now. 

I mean, Biden was very clearly in sharp decline, but the problem is Trump has been spazzing out on the floor shitting his pants for years now and gets a free pass for some reason. As that video from MSNBC posted earlier shows:

REPORTER: Would you direct the FDA to revoke access to mifepristone?

TRUMP:  So, you could do things that will be — would supplement, absolutely. And those things are pretty open and humane. But you have to be able to have a vote. And all I want to do is give everybody a vote. And the votes are taking place right now as we speak. Yeah. But it’s a very good — There are many things, on a humane basis, that you can do outside of that, but you also have to give a vote, and the people are going to have to decide. Okay.

What the fuck even is that? If I asked someone I knew that question and got that answer I would assume they were in the middle of a stroke and fucking dying before my eyes.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean, Biden was very clearly in sharp decline, but the problem is Trump has been spazzing out on the floor shitting his pants for years now and gets a free pass for some reason. As that video from MSNBC posted earlier shows:

REPORTER: Would you direct the FDA to revoke access to mifepristone?

TRUMP:  So, you could do things that will be — would supplement, absolutely. And those things are pretty open and humane. But you have to be able to have a vote. And all I want to do is give everybody a vote. And the votes are taking place right now as we speak. Yeah. But it’s a very good — There are many things, on a humane basis, that you can do outside of that, but you also have to give a vote, and the people are going to have to decide. Okay.

What the fuck even is that? If I asked someone I knew that question and got that answer I would assume they were in the middle of a stroke and fucking dying before my eyes.

He didn't know what mifepristone was and tried to improv something.